• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hernia surgery recovery time

bradworley

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2022
Florida
How long after laparoscopic hernia surgery before you can shoot? (From a bench, obviously not some run and gun type shooting)
My Dr is basically telling me I can't do anything for 6 weeks... I don't think I'll make it 6 days let alone 6 weeks!
Shooting from a bench seems like something I should be able to get away with. But I'd like to hear how others did?

How long after laparoscopic hernia surgery before you can shoot? (From a bench, obviously not some run and gun type shooting)
My Dr is basically telling me I can't do anything for 6 weeks... I don't think I'll make it 6 days let alone 6 weeks!
Shooting from a bench seems like something I should be able to get away with. But I'd like to hear how others did?
Your doctor is giving you the correct information. Do what he tells you to do.

Don't do anything strenuous such as heavy lifting. Lots of ice.

It's been a few years for me and I feel great. You will be better off in the long run.

My dad let one go way too long. He was hobbling around in sweatpants with a grapefruit sized thing in his sack.
He was out shooting (normal cartridges) a month later. I do think that’s where he turned into more of a butt shooter. So, don’t get too comfortable.

I had both a laparoscopic (TEP) and a conventional (mesh placed from the outside under abdominal muscles and skin) surgery. The projected and actual recovery time in both cases was substantially shorter than what you quoted.

If your Dr. is much more conservative in your case, it may have something to do with your overall physical condition and your body's ability to heal. Or you told him about your 50 BMG - just kidding.

Also, I refused to take the prescribed pain medication and had a good feedback of how far I could push things.

Last edited:
Inguinal or umbilical? When we fix hernias laparoscopically the repair is much better. The mesh overlays the hernia wider and we use coil tacks to secure it in place. Typically recovery times are much quicker. If you avoid heavy lifting….nothing more than 20lbs…you could be back to work in under a week. I don’t see why you couldn’t do some shooting off the bench. I wouldn’t be laying prone and stretching out your abdominal muscles though. And don’t lift anything heavy. 6 weeks is the average time for the mesh to really granulate in.

I had inguinal & umbilical done at the same time with no real pain. I tried to hunt 2 weeks later and ripped the inguinal loose, had to have it done again a year later and adhered to the full recommended healing time. That was 10+ years ago, now the scar tissue gives me some pain every now and then. Good luck

Reactions: bradworley
Have had two inguinal repairs myself.

Don't worry, that mesh will tell you when you're overdoing it...will feel like someone put out a cigarette on you.

Best to give it the 6 weeks and make sure you don't booger up the recovery process. That will only add time before you're back at it.

snipershide.com - where you can get answers to any question you might want to ask.

:)

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Good to know guys. I have an umbilical hernia that gives me pain occasionally. Primary doc is like...not sure it warrants surgery. Me...I think it warrants surgery. Good to know about the laproscopic surgery being a "smoother" ride.

Believe the recovery timelines. For everything. Have a friend who didn't listen and his ankle healed a couple degrees off-straight. Whoops, that is what it is forever now.

Over time I've realized (and heard from others) the classic war movie thing of the guy sneaking out of the hospital etc to join the raid, cutting off his cast or so on is stupid. How you feel is not the same as how you will perform, so listen to the docs.

My laproscopic hernia recovery was much longer than I had expected from other surgeries, illnesses, etc. Outpatient so sure you can hobble around the house immediately, sit and watch TV and after a few days are up to (WFH) office work sorts of stuff. First 3-4 days had bouts of not just discomfort but sharp pains as it all healed over the mesh, or whatever, so prepare for that.

But the tricky bit is after that, less than a week in, I thought "I feel pretty good today." Put on shoes, to go for a walk around the block. Got to the end of the driveway and almost didn't make it back to the house on my own power. Just totally wiped out from the recovery process and it didn't show until I tried to do something. Aside from that, pushing it can sure can mess with the healing process, get worse scars, etc so believe the timeframe and do nothing until cleared to do so.

My Dr is basically telling me I can't do anything for 6 weeks..
You serious? You don't like the answer your actual doctor...who has specific knowledge about your overall condition, your exact herniation, and the exact procedure that will be used...so you are asking Sniper's Hide?

I don't think I'll make it 6 days let alone 6 weeks!
Come on, Brad...really? Seriously mate, part of being an adult is having the self-control to do shit even though its not our preference. I'm having a lumbar fusion in early March. Going to be 4 months until all restrictions are lifted. I fucking hate it. But, you can bet your sweet ass that I'm going to do EXACTLY what my surgeon says as I do not want to fuck it up and have follow on issues or need to redo the surgery.

Take it or leave it...its your body...but I think you are being a bit silly.

Last edited:
Trust me....follow the Doctors orders. I had a Nissen done after getting trampled by a horse. It caused a 3cm Hiatal Hernia. I made the mistake of trying to get back into the gym too early and popped a stitch loose which required another surgery. Now, almost a year later I am going back under the knife because the repair did not hold.

• Sad
Reactions: shoobe01
I made the mistake of trying to get back into the gym too early and popped a stitch loose which required another surgery. Now, almost a year later I am going back under the knife because the repair did not hold.
Listen to these guys ^^^ The connective tissues that are severed giving rise to hernias are very hard to repair, hence why Docs are using mesh in the first place. Its really best to not rush back into activity for at least 6 weeks (ie doctors orders) and take a chill pil for about 10-12 weeks.

Reactions: shoobe01
Inguinal or umbilical? When we fix hernias laparoscopically the repair is much better. The mesh overlays the hernia wider and we use coil tacks to secure it in place. Typically recovery times are much quicker. If you avoid heavy lifting….nothing more than 20lbs…you could be back to work in under a week. I don’t see why you couldn’t do some shooting off the bench. I wouldn’t be laying prone and stretching out your abdominal muscles though. And don’t lift anything heavy. 6 weeks is the average time for the mesh to really granulate in.
I had one of them linguini's. Piece of cake, but do what the doc says. The worst thing was being full of CO2 or what ever they inflate your gut with to do the surgery. Your stomach feels like a whoopee cushion.

Listen to these guys ^^^ The connective tissues that are severed giving rise to hernias are very hard to repair, hence why Docs are using mesh in the first place. Its really best to not rush back into activity for at least 6 weeks (ie doctors orders) and take a chill pil for about 10-12 weeks.
I waited 12 weeks 🤷‍♂️
Mine was a hard repair because of the damage the horse did.

ALSO, follow the feeding instructions. I got an impaction at the surgery sight about a week after surgery and had to go to the ER and have it cleaned out

Also, I refused to take the prescribed pain medication and had a good feedback of how far I could push things.

Thinner-skinned areas like over the inguinal region can often respond to lidoderm patches (Salonspa lidoderm patches at Costco).

I had an inguinal repaired from loading a BIG patient into an ambulance. I was out for 2 weeks at home and 4 weeks light duty so that sounds right. After 4 weeks of light duty , basically being a mailman and a goffer for everyone in the Fire Dept. with a rank I was ready to go back...Ready or not

You serious? You don't like the answer your actual doctor...who has specific knowledge about your overall condition, your exact herniation, and the exact procedure that will be used...so you are asking Sniper's Hide?

Come on, Brad...really? Seriously mate, part of being an adult is having the self-control to do shit even though its not our preference. I'm having a lumbar fusion in early March. Going to be 4 months until all restrictions are lifted. I fucking hate it. But, you can bet your sweet ass that I'm going to do EXACTLY what my surgeon says as I do not want to fuck it up and have follow on issues or need to redo the surgery.

Take it or leave it...its your body...but I think you are being a bit silly.
Easy drama queen. Wasn't asking for medical advice on a shooting forum. Just asking what others who have had hernia surgery experienced.

Easy drama queen. Wasn't asking for medical advice on a shooting forum. Just asking what others who have had hernia surgery experienced.
hahaha...I'm the drama queen? LOL Doc told you six weeks and you come here, say you don't think you can go more than 6 days much less six weeks, and I'm the drama queen? LOL

Too funny.

Best of luck to you and I hope you surgery and recovery is a stunning success