• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey SAVAGE MKII owners! help me!

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
Guess what!

I'm can't wait to get my MKII for Christmas that I don't know I'm getting!
(it was leaked to me that I'm being given the $$$ for Christmas to purchase the rifle.)

Two questions: I'm wanting the MKII BV. But I got to thinking for the same price I might be able to get the FV, and use the left over money to get a nice aftermarket stock, maybe TR style or?? What's your input? The laminate wood stocks appears to be about $60 more...

Now the big question: Which 1 make/model of ammo does YOUR MKII shoot the best?

Thanks guys. Yippeeeee! I have wanted a trainer for SOOOOOO long.

Happy birthday Jesus,
Tres

Re: Hey SAVAGE MKII owners! help me!

Part of the fun in getting a new rifle is that you get to test ammo to find what works best in your rifle. I have the MKII FVT and mine likes Eley Sport (1085 fps), Aguila Golden Eagle Target (1100 fps), and Aguila Super Extra (1135 fps). This is not to say your MKII will like it as well. It may like the Wolf or SKS ammo, or even something else?

Much depends on what you will be using it for. Me, I like to shoot both short and long range targets out to 200+ yards so I stay within the subsonic and standard neighborhood with my ammo.

Have fun and enjoy that new rifle!
smile.gif

Thanks. I will be using it for practice at long range. I have access to a private rifle range. I'll prolly try to dope her out to 300, if I have enough elevation even 400 just for kicks.

My highest hopes are for this little rifle is to help me get razor sharp on my wind reading.

I'm sure it will set several squirrels free as well.

If you have the money go ahead and get the mkII TR. It has the tacticool stock, tacticool bolt knob, fluted heavy barrel and bottom metal already on it.
You can get a mkII FVXP .22lr for $239 with the fluted hvy barrel but then you have to buy the stock from Boyds, a second costs $60+shipping which I have heard runs about $20 then you have to order the bottom metal either aftermarket or from Savage.
If you add all of it up you can get a TR complete with bolt knob and come out ahead in my opinion.
My last MkII liked all of the subsonic ammo I put in it at 50yds. At 100 it really liked the american eagle. You can check out the savage forum on rimfire central dot com and find out more than you ever wanted to know about the savages.
Good luck.

Wolf MT is pretty much the default precision ammo for the Savages. Not too expensive and every Savage MKII seems to like it.

As noted earlier, if you have the coin I would just pick up the TR and be done with it. You never know what you may run into when trying to pick up all the separate parts. (price increase, high shipping charges, etc).

I skipped the FV upgrade path and picked up the TR a few weeks ago. It was my Christmas present from my wife and when it went on sale at Cabela's, she let me get it early to save some coin. The TR is awesome! If you can afford to spend a little more now instead of later, go for it.

You did good with buying the TR. Congraulations!
I find my FV to be slightly more accurate than my TR. Maybe it's because I have a lot more rounds through the FV. I ordered the Boyds stock & installed it on the FV this past weekend. I have not had a chance to shoot the rifle yet. I will this weekend if the weather holds. The FV still has the Accu Trigger, but I couldn't get the TR to work well with it's Accu Trigger so it has been replaced with a Rifle Basix. The new stock feels real good on the FV & I have a feeling that this will improve the preformance of this rifle. I am thinking about buying the RB trigger for the FV & my new 17 HMR TR. I like the feel of this trigger.

If you get the FV and a TR stock you will also need new bottom metal (an extra $40), so the savings starts to evaporate fairly quick....

Be sure to try lots of different ammo - in my BTV I get the same size groups using Rem sub sonic HP or Fiocchi sub sonic HP as I do with Wolf for about half the price per box...

My MKII BV shoots CCI standard velocity the best of what I tried. I haven't invested in any real match ammunition for ith though.

Mine likes Wolf match extra the best, but I had great results with the regular match and the CCI green, too.

Mark II FV here. The tupperware stock makes it harder to shoot well because it's so light. For me, that's a good thing. It's a trainer after all, and the purpose it to make you a better shooter. A light rifle is extremely susceptible to operator error so it reveals your issues and allows you to correct them.

Mine loves Eley Target. In a recent 60 shot string at the Olympic Training Center, it put 59 of 60 into 1/2" at 50m. There was one flyer that might have been the electronic scoring system screwing up.

Choose the scope carefully. Even with a 25 moa base under mine, I can only get to 250y with the Eley and a Millett TRS-1.

I went with the MKII FV and got a Wallis Forge stock for it. The TR is a excellent rifle and by no means would you be disappointed with it. I just wanted something a little different. I am very happy that I chose that route. The stock is full sized, feels like a Savage in a B&C medalist. Just an option. And welcome to the MKII family. Well soon anyways, I have never seen someone that wasn't happy with any of their MKII models. Whatever one you choose I'm sure will serve you well
smile.gif

I had an FV but I wasn't happy with the tupperware stock. Mostly the shape, not so much the weight. This time around I got the BV. I like the stock. I painted mine tan. I just made this 1/8" thick aluminum bottom metal. It uses the unused third action screw on the MKIIs. I also enlarged the barrel channel on this one. I haven't shot it yet with these modifications.

PC110705.jpg

Thanks everyone. Let us know how it shoots L Hills

Having a scope that'll dope much past 300 (dialing elevation that is, i'm excluding hold-overs) and still be able to zero at 25 or 50 is going to be interesting. I have a WOTAC and a 20moa base and I can dial the 61moa up to 300 yards from a 50y zero. I haven't checked to see how much is left on top before it's done, but I can't imagine it's much.

Branden

My MKII shoots (average of 5, five-shot groups) sub 1/4" at 25 and sub 1/2" at 50yds with: Wolf MT/Wolf ME/SK Standard Plus/Eley yellow box stuff.

Bulk ammo is more like 2-3MOA out to 100yds.

Hope you enjoy your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TresMon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
not familiar with wotac..? </div></div>

Wonder Optics, they make a good scope. Glass is ok, internals are great. All in all, I think they're a pretty good value for $329.

www.sightwonders.com

Branden

My MKII FV loves SK Standard plus, its 49 bucks for 500rds on Champion Shooter. I tried alot of the other expensive ammo with no good luck worth mentioning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having a scope that'll dope much past 300 (dialing elevation that is, i'm excluding hold-overs) and still be able to zero at 25 or 50 is going to be interesting. I have a WOTAC and a 20moa base and I can dial the 61moa up to 300 yards from a 50y zero. I haven't checked to see how much is left on top before it's done, but I can't imagine it's much.

Branden </div></div>

I've got a Wotac on my MkII TR with a 25 moa base. I had plenty of adjustment to get to 300 yds, but not much more. I ended up holding high over my 300 zero (about 15 mils if I remember correctly) to get on target at 400yds.

as said above, you can't build a TR clone for cheaper than buying a TR. Also the TR stock IS different then the tacticool stock, the tacticacool has a drop at the heel and the TR is a straight comb.

My TR clone (FV based) likes wolf match, but it shoots federal bulk pack very well. every time ive been to the range with it the wind was blowing ~20 mph, so i haven't shot for groups yet. but at 200 yards im leaving a baseball sized group with the bulk pack, for cheap ammo i cant ask for more.

look at mueller optics. they get rave reviews over at rimfire central and they're at a decent price. ive got the 4-14 tactical and love it.

I spent the morning at the rifle range, it was 43 degrees and I forgot my jacket. So I shot with cold hands andetc
But here are the results F stands for one flier five shot groups. The fliers we due to the cold, me or ? So those would have been groups of four.
ELE Plus .107f
Fed Gold Medal .078f
ELE Tenex EPS .093f
RSW Target .123
ELE match .056f
Rem. Target Rifle .123

I have not shot the gun for several years It is a
Savage Mark II. I will do another set when the weather improves. I am also hoping to try several other brands of target rounds if I can find them. Most of the shots were hurried as I also forgot my gloves.

JAS

I never really take the time to measure groups but with the wolf or the sks standard plus with or without a can it will shoot ragged 1 hole groups at 50 yrds. You might have a flier here or there for unknown reason me or the ammo. Probably one of the funnest guns I have. My 4 yr old 3 yrs old at the time fired the first shot of his life with this gun at 50yrds and lucky him with a little help hit 1" high of dead center of a 6" shoot N C. Of course had to put the target in his baby book. Good luck with your search its awesome little gun and cheap to shoot.

Thanks guys.

Calling Savage when they get back in office this coming monday.

I have a Savage Mark II FV and I buy Wolf Match for it in bulk. I upgraded mine with a Boyd's stock before Savage started offering them that way. I did a trigger job and bedded the action in Devcon. It's a great little trainer. It is a lot of fun lobbing rounds out to 400 yards, sometimes I even hit what I am aiming at. My SWFA 10X had enough elevation to get to 400 yards, but my new Bushnell Elite runs out of travel.