• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hey whats a good muzzle break for a 260 rem?

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
I'm currently build a 260 rem and will use a muzzle break on it because suppressor or just for less recoil. rifle will be used for competition, coyotes, deer (maybe). I was thinking the little bastard muzzle break. Also barrel will be a sendero contour

Any of the 30 cal brakes work fine
I'm using a Surefire MB762SSAL/RE because I'll also be runnning a Surefire can

Check out SAS thread over muzz break @ mile high shooters supply. SAS also makes a great suppressor.

I was thinking the little bastard muzzle break.

The LB is a good brake, but is *way* overpriced IMHO. I think the Ross Schuler brake, Kampfeld brake, or Harrels Precision "tactical" brake are every bit as effective, and look about 99% as good as the LB... At ~$45, they are excellent. The Schuler brake has vents in the top to help a bit with muzzle climb if that's your thing. The Harrels and Kampfeld do not.

The Harrels and Kampfeld vents actuall form a "V", so the gas isn't coming straight out the sides, which I think is nicer than the LB.

Another brake to consider is the Badger Thruster. It also has the "V" vents going on, but I've found this brake to be quite obnoxious to be around, and I think the vents are too small from an appearance perspective. The brake works well, but the vents just look a little small and weird to me. I also think the small vents cause the vented gas to have more velocity, which increases the "smack factor" of being near it.

All that said, you'd be hard pressed to "feel" any difference whatsoever between any of these brakes.

Last edited:
The Muscle Brake is quite effective. I know several guys that run them.

Jim makes a nice brake. The question is do you really need a brake? Lots of extra noise for the shooter, and more dust. I run 142's out of my 260 and there is very little felt recoil. Depending on the weight of your rifle to might feel a little more, mines a TRG so there is a little mass there.

Just something to ponder.

I like the APA brakes. I have a fat bastard on my 338, and a Little bastard on my 308. They may be expensive, but I am only buying it once. Even if I do re-barrel in the future, the brake is staying with that gun.

I am going to run a Holland Radial Baffle muzzle brake on mine. It has to be bored .020 over bullet diameter, contoured, and clocked but it is a kick ass brake.

I have had the opportunity to use all of the above at one point or another. Truth be told, they all work very well. It will be more a matter of price, and looks. I have a 260, and use a Little Bastard, which I like.

Check out SAS thread over muzz break @ mile high shooters supply. SAS also makes a great suppressor.

This is what I'm currently running on my 6.5 Creed. It works great. My can will hopefully be cleared any day now. I'm at 190 days since pending. I ran this brake on my .308 when I had it and it worked great on that rifle/caliber too.

I won't use a brake on anything smaller than a magnum ever again. I used to run them on everything, really burned out on deafeningly loud report (It happens occasionally that I shoot without plugs/muffs-- sue me) and all of the dust.

The only option I would entertain at this point would be a suppressor, but I can't justify the $200 tax stamp and all of the class 3 transfer BS. Will probably just Form 1 one once I get a bigger lathe. Just some food for thought.

yeah but if you make one you need them to approve it, get it engraved and if you don't and they catch you 30 years in prison.

I have the Badger Thruster on my 260 and it feels like a 223. I really don't notice the noise but then again my hearing is crap.

Had a Roedale for a long time. It was effective, easy to clean, sound/blast was tolerable to shooters next to me. It only came off because a form 4 came through. If you're interested PM me as I don't have much use for it anymore.