• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Hi-Cap .45 anything wrong with a P14-1911?

DeathExpress

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Har Co, Maryland
I'm about to buy my first handgun, and I really like the the 1911's for trigger and feel. I also really want a high capacity .45. Any reason not combine them and go with a P14-1911? I understand the grip will be larger...but I feel like its killing 2 birds with one stone on gun buying list. Never shot one, held one a while back but I kind of forget. I may end up with a cheaper 1911 and a 4.5 xdm .45. That would be my other option. Also do 1911's suppress well it may wear a suppressor in the future.

We call them Barely Ordinance up here. Poor fit and finish, loose parts, poor reliablity. Don't bother.
Pat

well....not the response I was hoping for, but sounds like a plan. Any 1911's in the 600 range that are worth it? Or are there any double-stacked 1911's that are good quality.

Glock 21 is the standard in my book..
That being said, I've been eyeballing one of these for a LONG time.

Tactical5.jpg

My roomate used a STI Tactical in 45 acp for a while. From the factory it had some issues. Three trips back to STI and then it ran as it should. If you want an STI in 45 I would have a reliablity job done on it from Dawson Precision or other comparable smith. As for a production gun I would say the HK45, Glock 21 or M&P in 45.
Pat

Thanks for the replies..sounds like I havent missed anything. I'm not exactly all for the glocks. I'll probably end up with a 1911 and a .45 XDM then if I dont buy a the p14.

Last edited:
I have used para ordnance in the past and currently have a P12 that I sometimes carry it was my daily carry for over a year. I have also owned a P13. There is nothing wrong with those guns, no they are not Wilson combats or $2000 Kimbers what they are is a reliable easy to shoot 1911. I say buy it, I do prefer my HK's but they are twice the price and a good bit less in capacity.

I have a P14 and have put a few thousand rounds through it. The external extractor broke within the first 500 rounds and they sent me two extra replacements. One of which doesn't fit and will have to be worked on before it functions like it should. The other was a direct drop in. The one that I bought was a special edition that was completely cerekoted in brown and looks pretty sharp. However, after they coated it it tighten up the tolerances and required some break in before it operated smoothly.

It shoots pretty well and is as accurate as one would expect. I bought it to use as a USPSA Limited gun now it is a truck gun. For the price point you get what you pay for. IF you are not comfortable tinkering around on these guns then it can be a pain in the ass. I have been shooting and fixing personal 1911's for over 20 years now so I feel pretty confident fixing any problems that come up. If you aren't comfortable doing something like that, be prepared to send it back in for work it it needs it.

STI was mentioned above and I have one of those as well. They have great customer service, but you pay for that on the front end with a higher price point.

Good luck.

Guns

I'd look at the HK45 with the extended threaded barrel. It has excellent grips and comes with 2 different sized backstraps, holds 10 rounds but is very slim on the grip, reliable and accurate.

If you want something smaller for carry, get the HK45c model, with the extended threaded barrel, it will take either 8 round or 10 round magazines and it a bit smaller for carry.

There's also the S&W MP45 that you could slap a bigger mag in that has similar grip angle.
But I'm a glock fan..I'd recommend a Gen4 21 and slap a 3.5 connector in it..good stuff!!

I've owned several of them with no issues. The LDA's werent all that though. The single action ones have not posed a problem other than being pigs when loaded. Just replace your mag springs with wolf extra power.

I think the XD 45 would be a better choice for what you are looking for... it's the best bang for the buck.

I carried a para P 13 alloy frame as a duty gun for about 10 years, and competed in 3gun matches with a steel frame P14 for about the same time period and obviously trusted my carry gun with my life. Like any off the shelf firearm, I would test it extensively before trusting it as a duty gun..match guns that malfunction may cost you the match, but not your life.

The one thing I found was that my p13 would misdeed if I failed to change out the recoil spring every 2-3 thousand rounds, or annually, otherwise it was great. I kept a 10 pack of Wolff springs in the cleaning kit and swapped them out often. It was nice to have a 45acp with 14 rounds in a package the size of a glock 19.

Whatever you get, test em out. When I taught at the police academy, we found that sif pistols would malfunction if they were dry. My point is that no matter how good of a reputation a firearm has, test it, and become familiar with it's idiosyncrasies.

I have 3 P14 LDA's, shot the crap out of them, they all have shot very well and I like the feel of the fatter grip. Only thing I have done is replaced the guide rod with a Wilson Combat Full length rod. I do prefer my HK's over the Para but IMO they are worth having.

If really want a hi cap bad ass .45, look at the CZ 97b. Check them out and then talk with David at Cajun Gun Works. I believe he has some for sale but as good as they are he does an accurizing job on them that puts them over the top.

Make sure you like the ergonomics of a double-stack 1911. One of the main draws to the original 1911 singlestack design is that its thinner and some people really like the enclosed grip they can get on it. Doublestacks are a different animal.

I've got 6000-8000 rounds through my XD-45 with no failures whatsoever. The only time it has jammed was when I was intentionally loading rounds with incrementally lower powder charges to find my minimum load for steel. I won't go on my 1911 rant. Best of luck to you.

I have had a P14-45 since the late 90's. Feeds and functions fine, only problem was with one factory mag. Picked up 4 Mec-Gar 14 round mags, pre Sandy Hook, and they function perfectly. I do have large hands and like the Houge grips. With the ramped supported chamber, I have thought about trying a heavy recoil spring and 45 Super loads.

Attachments

• P14 45.jpg
    P14 45.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 113
I have a Para Ordnance P-14. It was the first handgun that I bought that really fit my hand like a glove. I racked the slide, and it felt like butter. I have only shot a couple hundred rounds through it, and had a feed problem with some handloads that I had made. That was my fault, as I seated the bullets too far out for that gun. The worked in my Astra. When I deepened the seat on them, they fed perfectly. I know I haven't even broken it in fully, but I am fully confident that it is the nicest handgun that I have.
I was at a gun shop, and they tried to sell me a Christiansen (spelling?). I personally could not feel enough difference in the two to justify 3X the price. That is just me, and I know that I am no expert.
Just my $.015....

I have most of the mentioned guns and still like the P13. I would like to have a CZ97 and have a spare like new P13 sitting in it's box for 20 years I might turn into a CZ. I'm keeping the blued one.

I really don't think there's a better value than the FNP45 or the newer FNX45 for those looking for a high-cap .45 pistol. 15 + 1 in an accurate reliable package that really is a joy to shoot. The FN pistols are kind of a hidden gem in the pistol world IMHO. They don't get much press or recognition but everyone I know who owns one absolutely raves about it, including me. If I had discovered the FN line before I became so heavily invested in my M&Ps I'd most definitely have considered one of the smaller 9mm or .40 pistols for EDC. The only downside to the FNP/FNX 45 as far as I'm concerned is that they are very large handguns. Depending on your hand-size the ergos may or may not work for you.

Short of getting a Caspian frame and building one on it, you are not going to have any luck. I have been researching double stack 1911's for a while as my next handgun. I intend to go that route. Para is so hit and miss with their quality that they are not worth the time. The others are all out of production and hard to find. That being said we own XDm's as carry guns in my house. For the money they can't be beat. Ultra reliable, accurate and dependable.

Interesting, I have had 4 paraordnance's and none of them presented reliability concerns for me. Two of which I used competitively so they saw a lot of rounds down the pipe

I have a STI eagle in 40. From the factory it had some reliability issues related to feeding. After a little massaging, the gun is dead nuts reliable. I have heard the 45s can be tricky to get to run, but I will find that out next year when I build one.

As far as size, I have tiny hands. The 1911 fits perfectly. I put in a short trigger and small mainspring housing on the STI and it fits just as good.

When it comes to hi-cap 45s, Glocks are fantastic. My bugout pistol is a Glock 21, a dozen mags, threaded KKM barrel, and customizations to the trigger, new sights, etc. The Glock's seen quite a few thousand rounds and never a hiccup. Find a Glock 21 and shoot it. If you don't like it, then spend the big money on a custom rig. It's hard to to believe a $550 Glock 21 won't do what you want it to.

I agree. My pick for a high cap .45 would be a G21. I don't really even trust non-custom 2011s like the STI in any caliber.

I used steel framed Para P14's in 3 gun matches for many years with zero issues. I carried an alloy frame P13 as a duty gun for over a decade, and it is still my daily carry pistol. For around 20 years, the P13 has worked great. Although I do have to swap out the recoil springs on a regular basis so the gun doesn't batter itself, and feeds more smoothly. When the feeding gets feeling "clunky" I know it is time to swap out the recoil spring, and it works fine after that. I buy recoil springs in batches of 5's so I'm good for years.

My para double stack is flat out amazing, with the only exceptions being that it jams all the time, its ridiculously fat compared to all the better double stack .45's, the mags are expensive, and it weighs about as much as a good carbine. However, it is much better at collecting dust in my safe than any of my other pistols.

I had a Para Ordnance Limited Edition gun. You'd think limited meant the amount of time anyone spent building it. It broke literally every time I tried to shoot it. I didn't have a single range trip or competition where something didn't break.

I sent it back to para made them look it over to ensure it was at least safe, and sold it as soon as it came back.

I had a Para Ordnance Limited Edition gun. You'd think limited meant the amount of time anyone spent building it. It broke literally every time I tried to shoot it. I didn't have a single range trip or competition where something didn't break.

I sent it back to para made them look it over to ensure it was at least safe, and sold it as soon as it came back.

It was probably the serial number right after mine....
They could have been brothers!

BTW...totally unrelated, but I saw where you quoted me commenting on someone's English, but I have no idea where the thread is. Just for the record, I wasn't being a smart ass, his English really was amazing for a second language. Better than mine indeed.

BTW...totally unrelated, but I saw where you quoted me commenting on someone's English, but I have no idea where the thread is. Just for the record, I wasn't being a smart ass, his English really was amazing for a second language. Better than mine indeed.

I was just giving you a hard time, all in fun.

I figured so, I just don't like coming of as a hypocrite if I can avoid it.

Make sure you like the ergonomics of a double-stack 1911. One of the main draws to the original 1911 singlestack design is that its thinner and some people really like the enclosed grip they can get on it. Doublestacks are a different animal.

Point well taken... but part of the reason for the switch to polymer frames is that the frame is not taking up so much room so that you can get a double stack in there. That said, I have an M&P45, an HK 45c, and a 1911 and the 1911 is still the most comfortable. My M&P is getting a grip reduction and will be coming back on Tuesday, I will post about it. I have held a 2011 and I could not tell a difference between it and my 1911 in the grip profile. Sure, it is plastic, but that is the tradeoff you make for the extra rounds.

The nice thing about 1911's, M&P's, and Glocks over HK's and Sigs is the lower bore centerline. Recoil control on my M&P is the best of the bunch. My HK returns to POA pretty quickly, but in my M&P, it is almost instantaneous.

And I got the next one... Still runs sluggish after 500 rounds with failures to return into battery, and the sights cause it to shoot 12" high at 15yds. I quit shooting it out of disappointment and haven't taken the time to unfuck it yet. After a horrible experience with Para-USA customer service on a Para-TTR, I didn't bother giving them a chance to screw me over again.

I sent mine to Teddy Jacobson many years ago. He knows how to straighten them out. Mine got fixed. Funny they used to be the frame kit of choice to build from.
My P14 45 was stone cold reliable after being fixed. You want out of the box goodness these days, good luck. Smiths are even selling Tuned STI's , new.

im looking at this Para. PARA: Black Ops Combat I have the local shop looking for one for me. I know para had issues in the past. ill see what this runs like. its got all the right features in the package for a decent price.

there is STI and Caspian makes a double stack in titanium too. who else offers a 1911 high capacity? or what high cap has a 1911 trigger feel? I didn't like the XD45 trigger, my glocks were stock. I guess I need to feel a M&P.

the big glocks (45 & 10mm) can have the grips reduced cant they?

Last edited:
SVI makes the most badass pistols known to man, but are priced accordingly and the wait time is long. They're 2011s, a high cap 1911 style pistol.

Personally, I think you are crazy for not looking hard at a G21. In your price range that would be the best, imho, hi-cap 45 pistol offered.

If you can find one a FN 45 tactical would be another superb option. Surprised no one has mentioned them yet. They are as hicap as they come, 15 round 45cal magazine, and are set up for a suppressor right out of the box. They are ready for a red dot RMR or burris fastfire III. Already have the raised sights and threaded barrel.

FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: FNX?-45 Tactical

Rock Island Armory make several high cap 1911's.
They make very good pistols, as a matter of fact, STI gets some of their frames from ARMSCOR, the parent company of Rock Island.

I know you want a 1911 I went down that road too. I bought a high dollar one then I discovered the HK USP 45. They can be found used $5-600. I don't think you would be disappointed.

I have aP-14 and it works awesome! I reload so feeding has never been an issue . I've sent around 2000 pills down range with 0 faults . I didn't clean it for the first 800 rounds trying to make you fail, never did.This is my every day carry gun.

I have a P-12 that I bought new in 1994. It has always worked well. I have Black Talons for carry & for practice I use 230gr fmj. When I first picked it up I ran about 400 Black Talons through it with no problems and very accurate.

Nervous