• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hi from Colorado

35M2S

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2013
Hello everyone. I've been in the military for 17 years. I want to get into long range shooting, so I'm here to learn. Lots of info on this forum, but sometimes it can be a little overwhelming, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Hide mate. Do you have a rifle already you want to start with or looking to buy new? Are you reloading or buying factory ammo? What is your budget is another consideration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Hide mate. Do you have a rifle already you want to start with or looking to buy new? Are you reloading or buying factory ammo? What is your budget is another consideration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't have a rifle that would be considered long range. I'm looking to buy new. I'll be buying factory ammo until I can learn to reload. I want to stay within the $2k range.

Thanks

Welcome to the Hide, and nice to see another Colorado shooter. You are coming into the sport at a good time, as the growth over the last few years has really improved the high quality options with the notion of affordability attached. Is 2K your rifle budget, or rifle and optic? A lot of people have been getting into the 6.5 Creedmore, as there are several really good factory loads for it, the ballistics are generally better than 308, and you can get a great rifle like the Ruger Precision Rifle or the Tikka CTR for around $1000-1200. Optics are a whole other conversation about what you know and what sort of features you want- Vortex PST would keep you in budget, but there are other options. Then a quality rangefinder (or friend with one) is also important. Sig Kilo is probably the best place to head with that.

Welcome to the Hide, and nice to see another Colorado shooter. You are coming into the sport at a good time, as the growth over the last few years has really improved the high quality options with the notion of affordability attached. Is 2K your rifle budget, or rifle and optic? A lot of people have been getting into the 6.5 Creedmore, as there are several really good factory loads for it, the ballistics are generally better than 308, and you can get a great rifle like the Ruger Precision Rifle or the Tikka CTR for around $1000-1200. Optics are a whole other conversation about what you know and what sort of features you want- Vortex PST would keep you in budget, but there are other options. Then a quality rangefinder (or friend with one) is also important. Sig Kilo is probably the best place to head with that.

I'd like to stay in the $2.5 range for both rifle and optic. Wouldn't 308 be cheaper in the long run, considering ammo is a lot cheaper and more available? Vortex gives a nice military discount, so I should be able to extend my budget. Where do you usually shoot in Colorado?

I'd like to stay in the $2.5 range for both rifle and optic. Wouldn't 308 be cheaper in the long run, considering ammo is a lot cheaper and more available? Vortex gives a nice military discount, so I should be able to extend my budget. Where do you usually shoot in Colorado?

308 is a great round to start learning long range. With the right rifle and ammo, it's fully capable of reaching out to 1,000 yards. When I started taking an interest in long range, I was told it's a great round for learning how wind affects the trajectory, plus it's cheap to shoot. I shot my first 1,000 yard session with a 308 bolt rifle. Other rounds like the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem are ballistically superior though, so it's something you should consider if you plan to keep pursuing long range.

I agree with dylanmj with his Sig Kilo and Ruger Precision Rifle recommendations.

The RPR is a good rifle upgradable. There is a variety of chambering choices with the RPR but i'd stick with 6.5 creed. Good factory ammo offerings.

My advice would be to take your time and put together quality equipment as you can afford it. Quality optics in the 2k price range will save you money in the long run.

Additionally, dont be afraid to sign up for a long range shooting class.

I haven't shopped for 308 ammo in a while, but last time I looked, the 6.5 was a little cheaper than FGMM, so that made it really easy.

Usually, I am shooting at the Rifle Gun Club in Rifle. The range is out to 530 yards on any day of the week (however it is not open to the public outside of matches), and they do precision matches on the first Saturday of the month and usually shoot out to 800y at those. Been hearing stories of 1000y ranges coming on line outside GJ and one that is supposedly between Glenwood and New Castle, but I haven't been able to check them out.

Sounds like you have a healthy budget for a decent rifle and optics. If you can put off the rangefinder a little, you should be able to spend around $1100 on a rifle and the rest on some decent glass. Check the forums for that or find something like this (if you shoot MOA and not Mils) http://www.milehighshooting.com/vort...e-spuhr-mount/

The class is a great suggestion at some point. I took one of those when I was getting started, and it helped me to understand a lot of what everyone was talking about in the forums. There are some great options around, depending on where you want to go, who is teaching, and how much you want to spend.

There is a danger with the long range stuff- it is very addictive and it gets expensive!!!! Do you need the latest greatest _______ to perform well? No, you don't usually. There are some that will help more than others, and many things you will just want. As many on the forums have said, as long as your gear is up to a certain level, reliable, and functional, you will be better off spending the money on ammo and shooting more, than updating to whatever the flavor of the month is.

Last edited:
The used rifle definitely looks like a fair price for that stuff, however you may not want to spend that much on a chassis. Aside from whether you like shooting with a chassis, there are other options from KRG and XLR that are much less than the Whiskey 3 and XLR is a phenomenal Grand Junction based company. The best thing about going to a chassis in my opinion is gaining the ability to run AI mags and more precise fitment if you want it. Tikka mags aren't cheap and may not be easy to find.

The CTR for 800 is an a amazing price for that rifle and wouldn't hesitate to pick that up or ask Tikka Precision (Mountain Tactical) what their price is as they announced a blowout on some stock in expectation of the latest and greatest new rifle arriving soon.

I think you will be best served to save on the rifle for now, get a good/great optic and pick up some other other accessories (like rangefinder, bipod, bag). Your setup will probably be a long term project where you add and tinker as you understand what you want and need.

Hello everyone. I've been in the military for 17 years. I want to get into long range shooting, so I'm here to learn. Lots of info on this forum, but sometimes it can be a little overwhelming, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Depending on where you live, go to Mile High Shooting in Erie, Trigger Time in Longmont, or Whistling Pines in the Springs and ask their advice. These places are not run of the mill gun shops, but cater to tactical shooters and are staffed by knowledgable people. My $.02 is to go with 6.5 Creedmoor over .308: Better external ballistics and lots of good factory ammo. Also, don't feel that you need an LRF right away, especially if you are shooting known distances. Just get a rifle, a scope, and a rear bag.

There is a large tactical shooting community in Colorado,, and many matches to attend and learn from, once you get your rifle. A good match to start with is the Colorado Rifle Club Long Range Precision Rifle Match, 3rd Saturday of each month. All prone, square range, small targets 2-500m.

http://crci.org/EventSchedule/tabid/...fault.aspx#May

Last edited:

Thanks!

............it is cheaper to shoot Heroin between your toes

The used rifle definitely looks like a fair price for that stuff, however you may not want to spend that much on a chassis. Aside from whether you like shooting with a chassis, there are other options from KRG and XLR that are much less than the Whiskey 3 and XLR is a phenomenal Grand Junction based company. The best thing about going to a chassis in my opinion is gaining the ability to run AI mags and more precise fitment if you want it. Tikka mags aren't cheap and may not be easy to find.

The CTR for 800 is an a amazing price for that rifle and wouldn't hesitate to pick that up or ask Tikka Precision (Mountain Tactical) what their price is as they announced a blowout on some stock in expectation of the latest and greatest new rifle arriving soon.

I think you will be best served to save on the rifle for now, get a good/great optic and pick up some other other accessories (like rangefinder, bipod, bag). Your setup will probably be a long term project where you add and tinker as you understand what you want and need.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely know how little things add up, as I found out with my Scar 17. I swear I have gun ADD and get distracted by shiny things. Lol

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Do lots of research on the scope and settle on something you know you will keep for a while and then slowly upgrade your rifle. I settled on the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x and love it

Welcome to the forum. Do lots of research on the scope and settle on something you know you will keep for a while and then slowly upgrade your rifle. I settled on the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x and love it

Can I ask why you chose that scope? Also, what other scopes did you consider?

I wanted something made in the USA and with good customer service. I was also considering the Vortez Razor but it was too big and heavy. I live in Florida and not gonna be shooting over 500 yards. I also wanted something I could use for hunting. 16 power is enough for my needs. Other scope I was thinking about was the Vortex PST and Burris XTR but I didn't think the glass and tracking would be as good as the ATACR.