• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hi-lux m40 scope

Steve Petty

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2012
Anybody heard when this scope will be available.Reproduction of a redfeild 3-9 accurange?

Re: Hi-lux m40 scope

This is awesome news. Will they be offering the green colored one?

This is very exciting, I've been wanting to do a M40 commemorative build, but the scope was very much out of my price range. This is awesome!

I hope that Hi-Lux use the correct reticle and not the duplex they show in the literature about the scope...

I send an email asking the release date and price (and if they ship internationally). As soon as I get a reply I will post it here.

The only thing that bothers me at this point is that the shape of the turret caps seems completely off compared to the old Redfields. The picture in the catalog shows them as a rounded blob, far from the sharp lines the originals have. I sure hope that is not the final version...

this is the reply I got on Jan 13:

Hi blcouch,

This scope will be released in early May. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Hi-Lux, Inc.
3135 Kashiwa St.
Torrance, CA 90505
Tel:(310)257-8142; Fax: (310) 257-8096
www.hi-luxoptics.com

Normally I would be excited, but I didn't think their unertl style scope came out that great.

As I understand, from what people with hands on experience have reported, the Unertl style scopes were very good optically.

The micrometer mounts, however, weren`t very well made.
Reports of loss of zero, mounts shooting loose, adjustments (clicks) not being uniform or repeatable were noted.

I`ve heard the same thing about the Malcolm style scopes, good optics but micrometer mounts not so good.

I would think that with the Redfield copy being a short, internal adjustment scope Hi-Lux might have better luck with getting a quality product out the door.

From the website it looks like the scope tube has Hi-Lux engraved on the side- I wouldn`t want one for that reason, kind of takes away from the overall look of the scope being an accurate reproduction.

Their Unertl copy is kind of a `sorta close copy of the real thing`, looks like the Redfield copy will be the same.

Your alternative is to get an original Redfield and have it rebuilt/re-anodized. Have done this and they do look great however, the glass is not that great on the 60s vintage scopes and they weren't sealed very well.

+1 on those comments urging caution on detail, optical and manufacturing quality.

I have yet to see anyone say that any of the recent rash of vintage scope repros really nail it.

Given that most of the copied designs are 40+ years old...or nearly double that in the case of many such as the No32, Zeiss ZF39, PU/PEM and WW2 era Unertls/Weavers...the only explanation is that these repros are built to a price point, probably on compromised/substandard/"cost effective"
wink.gif
tooling with pretty wide tolerances in regions where labour is cheap and QC is, at best, "flexible".

The hard work was done years ago, it should be a simple process to reverse engineer and at least maintain (if not actually improve) performance given modern manufacturing methods and improved tolerances.

I'd always rather hunt down a functioning original....even if it does cost more and take a little longer.

You get what you pay for.

I have seen one of these and its what we call a "Stand off" scale, if you stand 50 feet away it looks right, very disappointing, I hope the Prototype I saw is a a rough prototype.

Not holding my breath.

Marty
Badger Ordnance

Montana Vintage Arms makes an American made scope that would be very nice on a sniper but i dont see it on there web site right now .Arnie

There is nothing like the real thing.
DSCN0158.jpg

I is the very same scope Peter R Senich has in his book The Long Range War"
dsc05900b.jpg

Check out the serial number.
DSCN0160.jpg

If you know someone looking for one, contact me. Asking $3700.
Redfield rings are marked 64 which are the same as used by the USMC on their M40.
Doc Les

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rainier42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your alternative is to get an original Redfield and have it rebuilt/re-anodized. Have done this and they do look great however, the glass is not that great on the 60s vintage scopes and they weren't sealed very well. </div></div>

Where did you get it rebuilt/re-anodized ?

Peter ... Connor at www.celticrifles.com rebuilds the Redfields plus unertls and other scopes. He completely dismantles, cleans, anodizes in either correct green os satin black, and reseals. He charges $325 (includes shipping) and has pretty fast turnaround. If he has to replace parts I believe he will charge extra for that.

This link is to the satin black one he did for me: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3828354#Post3828354

Am waiting on a green one he just did for me (just shipped, will post photos).

I hate to be the negative nancy, but I have yet to get my hands on a made in china scope that I thought was particularly good (and I've got 3 or 4 of them now, Millets and Hawkes). I think these scopes will look somewhat like the originals, and they will probably work, but that's about the best I'm expecting.

I'd even go so far as to say that the current line of Leupold-marketed "Redfield" scopes will probably be a noticeable step up from the Hi-lux repo.

Last edited:
Pictures

I found some pictures of the new scope on another website:
http://www.w54.biz/showthread.php?279-Sights-only/page15 (near the bottom of the page)
The scope body seems fine but the turrets are completely off. They aren't even close to the originals...
The reticle is the duplex accu-range type from the later models, not the fine cross hair type.
The color is to dark, green and shiny in my opinion.

Why could they not get it right? There is so much documentation, photos, and etc available... and they really messed it up... the turrets are all wrong... the scope looks the a patch work of different greens... and the reticle is incorrect... they go to all that effort... and completely miss the mark.

After looking at Rainier42's photos of his rebuilds... I had to wonder how hard it would be to transplant the guts of the Leupold V-series 3-9x40 into a Redfield repro shell... the bits that you would need could easy be made by someone with a CNC lathe... or maybe just approach Leupold and ask them how many one has to order to get them to make a repro... it is old technology.

Based on that photo it really does look like they've got it wrong. The black scope in the photo should be satin and not glossy ... glossy scopes were those sold to the public. Doesn't appear that they are anodized.

Why could they not get it right? There is so much documentation, photos, and etc available... and they really messed it up... the turrets are all wrong... the scope looks the a patch work of different greens... and the reticle is incorrect... they go to all that effort... and completely miss the mark.

it's just a chinese scope built to a price point. they are counting on selling to folks that don't know the difference. I think someone building a serious repo M40 wouldn't be putting a chinese repo scope on it anyway.

If those pics are of the optic we are discussing ... I think it looks pretty goofy.

I am process of building 2 M-40-ish rifles... not perfect clones or replicas... rifles that will be shooters and used regularly... a .223 and .308... both on early actions... and I would be happy to pay $500 to $600 for a good quality new scope patterned on the Redfield... preferably USA made or at least a quality scope along the lines of a Bushnell or etc... I will be getting a vintage Redfield or two at some point... but having used the old scopes... I would rather have newer optics and sealing for daily use... I am currently using Leupold Mark AR scopes for my builds.

I was considering getting a Hi-Lux just to satisfy my curiosity even though it goes against all my principles to buy a Chinese-made scope... but looking at the photos... I would not touch them with a 10' pole... in this day and age of CAD, CAM, and CNC in both optics and metal fabrication... it should be feasible to remake these older scopes to a very high standard at a reasonable price as we are talking about very mature designs and technology in these scopes... and make them in the USA as well.

Thanks,

Leupold came out with a commemorative M40 scope when Remington came out with their commemorative rifles. So, an alternative to the Leatherwood would be to purchase a Leupold VX-3 through their custom shop and just have it anodized green by Leupold. Would cost around $550. but at least you would be getting American made, good glass, and the Leupold warranty. Have also heard some good things about the new Redfield Accu-Ranges ... also American made I believe.