• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BigAndy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
MI, USA
I've decided on getting a used BHP. Upon delivery I am looking to get new sights, rebluing, magazine well extension, beavertail extension, and trigger job. I am still on the fence about a new barrel, at least for the near future. I contacted a few smiths about getting the work. C&S is expensive and will most likely be a wait, and several others were either too expensive for me or were douchebags over the phone. The only guy that took some time to discuss things (and educate a BHP newbie) was Gene Shuey over at Shuey Custom. Have any of you guys had experience with his work, good or bad? Also, any other suggestions are appreciated.

Karl Sokol and Don Williams have good reps as BHP smiths as well.

[MENTION=53676]BigAndy[/MENTION], send the gun to the action works, aka don williams, he did 5 pistols for me and tomorrow i'm sending one more, prices are good and his work is A1, you will have no regrets.

Action Works does have some decent prices. I might give them a call Monday. Shoot me some pictures if you wouldn't mind: bigandy99 at gmail. Thanks again fellas.

Cylinder and Slide? I seldom mess with them.

Carniak custom in Troy, Mi. Marianne knows her shit. Learned from her dad Russ. She helped me with a fitting issue on a one piece backstrap for my 1911. She did it on the spot. Super nice and does great work, 1911 and BHP. . I'm in the process of trying to acquire all the parts to try my hand at putting together a 1911, but at some point it will go to her for an overhaul and some of her magic.

I have had work from both Williams and Yost.

The Williams is the more reliable under any condition. Yost does a short reset trigger job that is out of sight.

Good luck

Last edited:
Carniak custom in Troy, Mi. Marianne knows her shit. Learned from her dad Russ. She helped me with a fitting issue on a one piece backstrap for my 1911. She did it on the spot. Super nice and does great work, 1911 and BHP. . I'm in the process of trying to acquire all the parts to try my hand at putting together a 1911, but at some point it will go to her for an overhaul and some of her magic.

I tried getting ahold of Marianne, but no dice. I left a message or two and gave up after no answer for a week or so. I had a Para double-stack that she did with all Ed Brown parts. It was okay, but I had to get the feed ramp repolished and had trouble with the grip screws. Both issues were probably not evident when the pistol left her shop (i.e. I was the second owner), but I still think I want to move onto the BHP. I have had my fill of 1911s for now (I bought three 1911s to cure the craving and still have two). I will call Don Williams tomorrow or Tuesday and see what he has to say. If it sounds good I will most likely give him a shot, then keep this thread updated with pictures when the time comes.
-JA

look at pistolsmith sticky, most 1911 smiths will do BHP's or a large number of them. i posted a couple people to try.

I've decided on getting a used BHP. Upon delivery I am looking to get new sights, rebluing, magazine well extension, beavertail extension, and trigger job. I am still on the fence about a new barrel, at least for the near future.

Current BHP owner here. (notice my forum name? :))
Before you commit to custom work, what year is the manufacture of your pistol?
Consensus on the hi power forums is that the factory barrel can outshoot most people, and the replacement match barrels only make a noticable difference 25 yrds & up.

Don't forget Jim Garthwaite as a hi power pistolsmith of reputation. He's the guy that did mine in '99.

I got a call from Don Williams today; heck of a nice guy. He walked me through some options, and actually talked me out of some others. I am now thinking trigger job, frame and slide polishing, new springs throughout, and a recrown of the factory barrel. I am not too far from Williams Gunsight, here in Michigan, and think that I might get a fiber optic sight set for the pistol. After a half hour of learning from Don I got to thinking I ought to throw my S&W 686 in the package, along with the BHP, heading to Action Works. Thanks again Prom, Don had great prices and a ton of knowledge.
-JA

I got a call from Don Williams today; heck of a nice guy. He walked me through some options, and actually talked me out of some others. I am now thinking trigger job, frame and slide polishing, new springs throughout, and a recrown of the factory barrel. I am not too far from Williams Gunsight, here in Michigan, and think that I might get a fiber optic sight set for the pistol. After a half hour of learning from Don I got to thinking I ought to throw my S&W 686 in the package, along with the BHP, heading to Action Works. Thanks again Prom, Don had great prices and a ton of knowledge.
-JA
I told you so, i send a slide the last weekend, i think i going to do some work on the frame this weekend.
Kno it's waiting time for you, but all worth.

Cylinder and Slide? I seldom mess with them.

I haven't had any work done by them for the past 5 years or so. Prior to that, I used them quite a few times and found the quality of their work, customer service, timeliness, and prices all wonderful. I have no idea if things have changed or not since I last had them complete work for me. I never had any problems, nor did I ever have to send anything back to have anything re-done. But like I said, I haven't used them for quite a few years.

Yost trigger work is ... ya gotta run one to appreciate it
Other than that
Don Williams can make a HiPo slicker than any 1911

If you want to shoot cast lead bullets you will need a different than factory barrel. Personally, I would get a better barrel anyway before I had a beavertail welded on. The C&S no bite hammer and sear works very well with usually no additional trigger work to have a very nice trigger. Unless you are particularly picky I think you would be real happy with that combo. Bill, the guy that owns C&S is a hell of a nice guy to talk to and he seems to win the pistolsmith of the year award a lot. His employees are a pack of cold stone jerk asses. I have to wonder after first talking to him and then being passed off to one of his flunkies if he even knows they treat customers that way. I have his combat trigger in one of my custom Hi-Powers too and it works good and feels even better but I was very unimpressed with the machine work of the insides of the thing. The hammers and sears are flawless. I have used both Bar-Sto and Olympic Arms barrels and other than the Bar-Sto costing $250.00 more I cannot tell the difference {Ransom Rest testing.} Don't waste your time/money on a match sear lever either. I like Spegel or Navidrex ultra thin grips and I always remove the magazine disconnector. I would suggest the best thing you can do is try to locate one of Steve Camps books about the Hi-Power. He goes into a lot of detail about modifications and custom work. I found it a big help. I'd sell ya mine but he autographed it and I refer back to it too often...sadly he passed away a few years back. The actual full name of the book is "The Shooters Guide to the Browning Hi Power" By Stephen A. Camp. Good luck with your HP.

Hey guys, thanks again for all of your help. I finally saved up enough to get my BHP. I ordered one from Coles Distributing last night, and will keep this thread updated throughout the build. I picked up GunBroker auction number 350313621 for <$410 OTD. The next step is off to Mel Doyles for a high-polish bluing, then to Don Williams at Action Works. I am not sure what all I will get done at AW; so feel free to chime in with suggestions. I do know that I want a recrown, new safety, lose the magazine disconnect, and get a trigger job. I will also probably get a set of new springs installed throughout.

Also get the stippling on the front and back straps, also get some grips from VZgrips, check the slimpros in cherry, good luck.
And what type of sight you are getting install?

I am thinking of getting fiber optic sights (cheaper than 3H, and no worries about half-life). I would also l

(Sorry, my iPhone is retarded) like to incorporate some nice wood (Please, no gay jokes. Who doesn't like a good piece of nice, hard wood?) on the grips. I am thinking zebrawood or cocobolo, and non-checkered. In addition to the grips and sights, I am thinking of installing Wolff springs throughout, and having Mel Doyles do the high-polish bluing. I will attach pictures as soon as I get the pistol. Thanks again for all of the help. Oh yeah, Camp's widow sent me an email that the BHP guide is still available via the web page.
-JA

So, I got the Hi-Power a few days back and it looked slightly rougher than in the pictures. The lettering is worn down and the bluing is just about completely missing in a few small areas. Figuring that I ought to try it out before creating a new money pit, I took it to the range with no maintenance (just a strip-and-inspect). After 60 rounds at paper plates from ~10 yards out, I must say that I was impressed: mostly good hits, no malfunctions, and (for the first time ever) I found all of the brass. Once I get some work done I will post before and after pictures.

Hey guys, thanks again for all of your help. I finally saved up enough to get my BHP. I ordered one from Coles Distributing last night, and will keep this thread updated throughout the build. I picked up GunBroker auction number 350313621 for <$410 OTD. The next step is off to Mel Doyles for a high-polish bluing, then to Don Williams at Action Works. I am not sure what all I will get done at AW; so feel free to chime in with suggestions. I do know that I want a recrown, new safety, lose the magazine disconnect, and get a trigger job. I will also probably get a set of new springs installed throughout.

Don't get it blued and then send it to Don. Almost any major work that he does will require refinishing, anyway (though your list would probably be fine). Don can refinish it for you. If you're not sure of what to get done, I'd just talk to Don about what you would like as an end product and follow his suggestions. He's a super-nice guy and knows a lot about hi-powers. He won't steer you wrong.

If you want to learn more about hi-powers before doing this, look at the late Stephen Camp's web site (Hi Powers and Handguns) and maybe purchase his hi-power book.