• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Hi-Viz Sights for Glock

RECKON SO

Minuteman
Jul 7, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Ive been working at getting decent with my new G21SF and I am having a hard time picking up the front sight post in any sort of rapid fire. Ive looked at Novak's fiber optic, Meprolight and Trijicon's web sites and the Novaks look to be the brightest but I aint sure if they are tough or not. Has anybody dealt with this successfully or have tried some different styles of Hi Visibilty sights?

MUCH OBLIGED

Re: Hi-Viz Sights for Glock

Never used Novak's but have used Dawson Precision. The DP fiber optic front (<span style="color: #FF0000">HERE</span>) and adj. plain rear (<span style="color: #FF0000">HERE</span>)is what I run on my 24. I have a set of FO front and rear on my 17, (bought before I knew better) and the fiber in the front is way too big. For me the FO front/plain rear is quicker. IMO it lends itself to "front sight, bang". Come to think of it, the set I put on my 17 might actually be HiViz brand but I'm not sure. Whatever brand you go with, I'd keep the FO small. If it's too big, it covers smaller targets at relatively short distances (plates etc.)

HOLY CRAP! Thats alot of different sizes, I aint sure what would be best for a practical/tactical setup. I reckon that would be personal preference. Are the DP fronts ok "stout enough" for in/out holster, general beating type use?

I haven't had any issues and mine have taken a beating from competition use. The only issue I've had is the fiber will dull over time. This is from residue and small hairline fractures in the insert. No big deal though, the inserts are super cheap and really quick to swap out. They sell them pre-cut or in longer sections that are even cheaper. I normally just cut them with my pocket knife when I need them. You basically cut a piece about 1/8-3/16 longer then the base and slide it through. Then touch the front of the fiber with a flame (Bic lighter works great) and it sucks up into the recess in the base. I'll try to get some up close pics in the next day or so but the base is metal (aluminum I think). As far as height etc. I'd call DP and ask what height you'd need. They have a knowledgeable staff and have always been extremely helpful when I needed some guidance.

I appreciate the link, I looked around on there and found a front/rear combo I might just try out, it aint too bad expensive and looks to be what Im after.

MUCH OBLIGED

I think tru go makes a fiberoptic/tritium combo that would be a perfect front sight.

Reckon, make sure you get the proper height combo. Although I was running a Dawson Fiber Front and Heinie Rear.
On a side note the small driver you get for the front sight works quite well.

You really need to practice. I find that anything on the front sight becomes distracting. It will likely distract you from seeing what you're supposed to be seeing.

black out the stock sights for a while, practice a lot, and then think about a narrower front blade down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It will likely distract you from seeing what you're supposed to be seeing.
</div></div>

Like the front sight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It will likely distract you from seeing what you're supposed to be seeing.
</div></div>

Like the front sight? </div></div>

No. What you're really looking for is a sight PICTURE...which includes the light bars next to the front sight and that the top of the sight is within the rear sight notch.

Merely seeing the front sight is insufficient for serious shooting.

Proper technique will put the front sight where it needs to be with respect to the rear. A good sight PICTURE starts with watching the front sight. The faster you can acquire the front sight the sooner all that comes together.

Seeing the front sight is the first priority for serious shooting. What you do with it after that determines a hit or miss.

And I'm saying the problem is that he's not doing anything after that besides mashing the trigger. Merely seeing the front sight is not enough, and most people who aren't looking for a proper sight picture with one type of sights will do no better a job at it with another type.

What is needed is to train oneself to only fire as fast as the needed sight picture can be acquired. It takes time and practice, though, especially when our mind is always telling us to shoot faster.

Thats a fact that I need to practice more, I aint really having problems with building a good sight picture, it just seems to take longer than I like cause Im hunting the FSP during recoil recovery and the white dot seems to wash out sometimes, Like I said this pistol is new to me and maybe the "dot inside the u shaped thing" factory sights take getting used to. I used to have a 1911 and I took a yellow paint marker and just barely touched the top of the FSP with it and it seem to help when I was looking to line back up after recoil, I could see the yellow and naturally lined everything up on that. I just figured that if the FSP stood out a little more that it would speed that process up some.

What I'm saying is STOP LOOKING FOR THE DOT. Black your sights out and practice.

Once you master plain sights, you can graduate to a fiber optic or night sight or whatever your preference is.

I agree nothing is going to make up for practice, there aint no free lunch and its not that Im trying to make up for proper shot sequence form by putting some blinking light on the end of my pistol, I try to go through a sort of checklist when shooting my pistol and it goes something like this 1.Lock it in,2.FSP "Sight picture",3. Steady squeeze. I have not had any formal training on pistols but I realize that the fundamentals are basically the same. "Clear tip of the FSP" has been drilled into my head "right or wrong its in there" and all I was getting at was that the current FSP on my pistol was hard to pick up sometimes. Ammo costing what it does nowdays does not afford me the opportunity to shoot a gozillion rounds on a regular basis, so I have to make every round count when practicing. Are there any videos or the like that would be a good investment to learn the proper techniques to pistol shooting and making the most of the resources I have? I am much obliged for all the input.