• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hidden history in my type 99!

JB5812

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Portland, OR
So I decided that I wanted to take apart my inherited type 99 that is now stored in my safe with all my other old rifles and clean it up so its protected all the way through. I've NEVER cleaned past what I could see as I never wanted to touch anything and mess with it. Well, I pulled out the trigger housing and mag well and was surprised to see very unique looking sand and rocky dirt everywhere in there. This thing has NEVER been dismantled! My grandpa had it since he was in the Navy in the 40's, then passed it to me some years ago.

I almost don't want to clean it up as this one still has the imperial crysanthimum on it which usually suggests a captured rifle as the Japanese didn't have time or couldn't file off the emblem. This was almost always done if it were just a turnover.

Very awesome to see and think where it has been!

IMAG0514.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Yeah actually I think I'm going to filter the grease out of it to clean up the sand and dirt starting with a coffee filter. It's not a lit of sediment, but still enough to see in a vial or something!

Marty from Badger ordnance has one that he found a japanese love letter in the stock of, cool pieces of history

Marty from Badger ordnance has one that he found a japanese love letter in the stock of, cool pieces of history

That would be so cool to find... I'm happy with sand lol

So I finished cleaning her up. MAN is this thing in GREAT condition. All biased views aside, I think this may be one of the nicer ones I have ever seen outside of armory museums which makes me very happy. Here it is all cleaned up!

Here is the barrel after taking the stock apart and cleaning it all. Top of stock is off. Almost perfect condition!
IMAG0515.jpg

Here's a receiver and bolt shot. Also very good condition and cleaned up awesome...
IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

And that crazy ass airplane sight they insisted on using...
IMAG0520.jpg

Next on the cleaning list is the 1903, M-1 Carbine, Springfield 1873, and a WWI German Mauser... All of which I've never cleaned internally...

Last edited:
Beautiful piece of history. The Arisakas have only recently started to be appreciated fully. But they are really neat rifles. I have had a couple over the years, but never hung on to one.

The sand is very interesting... my bet is that a good geologist can tell you where it came from...

Cheers,

Sirhr

I haven't shot it, and probably won't. I have a ton of other rifles to shoot regularly without shooting my old ones like this. I'm sure it will fire, but I like it in the safe as a collection piece better.

You can make 7.7 Jap brass from standard 30-06 brass, since the 7.7 is a bit shorter. I did it a few years ago and it worked....made a bout 50 rounds from Greek HXP 77 brass. (just liked the "77" headstamp).. As I recall you have to cut off about 3/16" then partially form it in the 7.7 dies, then fireform it in the 7.7 rifle. Comes out perfect, if done right...Google it... I had a really nice 7.7 like yours but sold it...boy what a mistake...I miss that rifle..

i was also making brass this morning, took a little while to figure out but i got it down pat now, i think i made 75 peices out of 30-06 and i have 40 7.7 brass peices so i am set for a while,

not to steal the thread very nice rifle.

i was also making brass this morning, took a little while to figure out but i got it down pat now, i think i made 75 peices out of 30-06 and i have 40 7.7 brass peices so i am set for a while,

not to steal the thread very nice rifle.

You can make 7.7 Jap brass from standard 30-06 brass, since the 7.7 is a bit shorter. I did it a few years ago and it worked....made a bout 50 rounds from Greek HXP 77 brass. (just liked the "77" headstamp).. As I recall you have to cut off about 3/16" then partially form it in the 7.7 dies, then fireform it in the 7.7 rifle. Comes out perfect, if done right...Google it... I had a really nice 7.7 like yours but sold it...boy what a mistake...I miss that rifle..

Good to know! I MIGHT take on that venture someday if the urge to shoot it is strong enough..

Very nice! I have a type 99 that was taken at Saipan. All matching and still has the numbers matching dust cover and original muzzle cap. I found sand under the barreled action of mine as well. My girlfriend collected it all and put it in a little glass bottle and made a weathered label for it. They are great shooters, It just happens to be the rifle I shoot best with (probably because the ammo isnt that cheap).

I have several Arisakas, one 6.5 and a couple 7.7's. Most proud of the 7.7 my dad shipped back from Okinawa after they retook the islands. He was heavy weapons company commander in the 7th. 5 landings in the Pacific, first wave in 3. I've shot it many times, dead on and easy to hit with. No sand in it......but blood stains under the barrel. All mine have the mum. I remember walking down the outside storefront of the original Walmart in Rogers AR. In the mid 70's with my dad, think i was about 13, they probably had a hundred or more of the 99s stacked like firewood on the sidewalk......$25 each. :)

Okie

I always said if they could only talk! Very nice heirloom and I dont blame you if you dont shoot it. Make sure you write down how you got it and the story about the sand so you too can pass it on the next generation. The passing on of such items always bring warm thoughts to my heart. The struggle that took place to make these stories is something to honor because many a soldier never came home.

love these old stories.

That's a pretty cool find, way to go!

My next door neighbor growing up was a 1st wave, Demo-man with the Marines that took Iwo. He has some incredible relics that he saved, notably a very nice Arisaka that still has the crest on it too. He also has some vials of that nasty, volcanic sand from Iwo Jima that he saved prior to moving on in the campaign.

The crud around that box looks similar to what he has in the vials in terms of size/shape of the granules. When you clean it up, if it comes out and stays jet black I suspect I know exactly where the sand came from and gives you some insight into the history of where the weapon has been.

Great heirloom to have, enjoy it however you feel necessary but please don't chop it, bubba-it, or sell it (unless selling it involves me getting it :D)

I love vintage military rifles, but they are just that. When you add something like the Sand, or something similar, it gathered in its past usage, it becomes more then a vintage rifle, it becomes history. A real treasure.

That is a really cool find! Like you said, who knows where it's been and where that dirt is from! Great little piece of history...rifle is in excellent shape.

Thanks for sharing this with us.