• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hide down or just me?

10-4. It always concerns me when stuff like that happens to sites like this because big tech sees us at the “real enemy”.

Yeah that's what I was wondering... if it was just them working on the site or if it was something nefarious???

Maybe @lowlight will tell us what happened?

Seems like that Fastly thing may still be suffering some side effects? I've notice a lot slower download times for some other websites the past few days.

E41F9520-F3C5-4BB6-9F4C-102A7E2CF570.png

I have been getting this when I click on anything, comes up with a different name depending on what I try and go to... been doing it yesterday and today. This is on an iPhone.

Had the same thing a couple days ago. I went in and cleared browsing history for that day and the day prior. Everything worked after that.

My android is doing the same thing but not on every thread. I will try clearing history and see if that works. Thanks

Reactions: NoDopes
Something weird has definitely been going on? Site was down this am, but as of 2 days ago I couldn't open page #8 or beyond of a thread I am following. I get this message.
1623421852300.png

If I switch to incognito mode & open a new tab it works fine?

The site going down is a multi-part issue, some of the work and additions we are including can have plugin memory leaks

They set up triggers when they identify them to reset the system before it crashes, but sometimes a new plugin, update, or change causes a problem just like with any computer

They investigate each crash, they look at the root causes, if it's a hack they can see it, and either remove anything they attempt to drop in or, the server guys just roll back to the time prior to when it happened.

Do they try to hack us, every friggin day, almost every friggin hour from many places for a variety of reasons. The biggest reason is traffic, any hack in a place that has traffic is ripe for it. You being here is reason enough, it's practice, it's financial, it's a dozen reasons at any given moment

But most of this just conflicts between different plugins and software updates.

10-4. It always concerns me when stuff like that happens to sites like this because big tech sees us at the “real enemy”.

Sad thing is, this was my first reaction too; not a simple “something happened and they just had to jiggle the handle” type thought. Recent extremely public examples only fuel this notion.

My second uncomfortable moment was the realization that I’m actually thinking these thoughts, and it makes me feel like I’m turning into a paranoid tinfoil hat asshole... Vs. being the regular “get off my lawn” type asshole I’m quite comfortable with of course! LOL

Man, how did we get here?

Sad thing is, this was my first reaction too; not a simple “something happened and they just had to jiggle the handle” type thought. Recent extremely public examples only fuel this notion.

My second uncomfortable moment was the realization that I’m actually thinking these thoughts, and it makes me feel like I’m turning into a paranoid tinfoil hat asshole... Vs. being the regular “get off my lawn” type asshole I’m quite comfortable with of Obama is pretty high on my list of reasons shit is the way it is now.
Obama is pretty high on my list of reasons shit is the way it is now.

The issue the other day was, a PHP file that didn't properly load, so initially when a few people came back on from a desktop it tried downloading the file instead of running it, it was a simple misconfiguration that happened. Quickly addressed.

Why it hiccuped we don't know but once was it properly reset it fixed the problem, so there is no phantom file being loaded. It was just trying to pull it down instead of run it.

Reactions: MilChad
Threads still are not working for me. I've cleared my history, logged out, turned the phone off, etc nothing works. Any more suggestions? I can open it logged out and see the the pages but thats the only way.

Threads still are not working for me. I've cleared my history, logged out, turned the phone off, etc nothing works. Any more suggestions? I can open it logged out and see the the pages but thats the only way.
Are you using Firefox?
I did the same things and also restarted Firefox & computer. Still same issue. Works fine if I open in Google Chrome or incognito Firefox. Also working fine from my phone so I don't know.

Delete the cookies for the site. If it works logged out is really the only difference.

Reactions: Heartstopper