• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses High angle classes?

It's in California but max ordinate offers high angle courses. I haven't taken the high angle yet but I have taken their other courses and it's a world class facility and training. The terrain is perfect for high angle training.

Reactions: Big Ern
Anyone teach specifically high angle classes? Preferably on the eastern half of the US .

It would be nice to know of any on the east coast.

Here were a few I had bookmarked, all out west:

Rifles Only has offered high angle classes in CO in the past during the summer months. I have never been to that particular class, but have been to the PRS1/PRS2 week long class and it was great!

Sounds more and more like ill have to travel west. Was hoping i just didn't know how to use google for my lack of results on the east.

Hi,

Are you looking for more of a mountain/distance style high angle course or more of a close distance urban style high angle course?

Sincerely,
Theis

That's the real question. If you want mountain, either Scott Satterlee or Bryan Morgan would be my suggestion. Scott's run some open enrollment stuff at Hat Creek (Bryan's new facility), and Bryan is planning an open enrollment class for next year, I think. if you want wind and angles, Hat Creek is definitely the place to go.

Hi,

Are you looking for more of a mountain/distance style high angle course or more of a close distance urban style high angle course?

Sincerely,
Theis

Honestly both interest me. Would likely do at least one of each.

And thanks for the GTI link. Going to look into them.

Reactions: TigernLionGSP
Hi,

For mountain/distance genre you are going to have to more than likely head out West region.
Not many courses will "publicly" offer anything over a 40 degree incline/decline, so just be aware of that.

Mountain Shooting Center advertises a 50 degree and has more distance than can be used for shoulder fired weapon systems:

The Urban genre course is going to possibly be more difficult for you; as most of them are kept to credentialed students (You may be credentialed though).
A good one on the East Coast (Sorta) side of the USA is Guardian Centers:

Sincerely,
Theis

Just like the "top secret" loophole shooting technique, this shit is just math: ballistics and trigonometry.

We have all the tools necessary to figure this stuff out without being "credentialed".

There are no LE/mil "secrets" in this game. Just have to think things through then be creative in the field to validate.

Here's your four-story urban high angle shooting simulator, available at your nearest equipment rental center..........

jlg-3369le,b7dad3b8.jpg

Dont think i haven't been bugging the MDs here to do that haha. Was talking to my buddies the other day how they should use one and fuck a lot of people up.

I can figure everything out and understand the concepts...but i just have no opportunity to shoot at a venue with that type to get my hands dirty in it. Thats my dilemma and why im searching for a class.

Sawtooth Rifles is having a High Angle Hunters Clinic down at Bryan Morgan's (Hat Creek Training) place in Idaho at the end of August.

Scott Satterlee is the lead instructor.

Food and Lodging is included with the price. Not cheap, but I heard it's a one of a kind place to shoot out there

http://www.sawtoothrifles.com/store/p28/HAHC.html

Last edited:
I'll talk to Academy about doing something maybe.

There's 800yds in the quarry, it's about 70-80 feet up don't see why we can't rent a scissor lift and get the extra height.

That'd be in Connecticut so, no AR's unless you're special.

If that's something you'd be interested in - Let me know.

Sawtooth Rifles is having a High Angle Hunters Clinic down at Bryan Morgan's (Hat Creek Training) place in Idaho at the end of August.

Scott Satterlee is the lead instructor.

Food and Lodging is included with the price. Not cheap, but I heard it's a one of a kind place to shoot out there

http://www.sawtoothrifles.com/store/p28/HAHC.html

No, the lodging is an extra $200 on that link. On top of the $580/day for the class. Does look like a nice area to shoot though.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Head out to Max Ordinate for their high angle and mountain classes...1 day each and run back-to-back. Facility is crazy good with distances out to 1 mile. Down angle, up angle, you name it. You won’t be bummed. I know it may be a pain and a little pricey to travel from the east coast, but it is so worth it.

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
Going to shop around. Seems the best choices are West Coast.

Now to convince the wife we need a week vacation somewhere West :unsure:

MOUNTAIN SHOOTING CENTER
The Grandfather of Steep Angle, High Altitude, Mountain Shooting Courses; located in Southern Utah
The most expansive and versatile range in the United States

Angle Fire up and down + across canyons + length of canyons + 1700 and 4000 meter KDR at 9400' ASL and 8200' ASL
We instruct the Instructors, let us instruct you. Call us at (818) 359-0512

Exact location and info on your instructors? All of this should be on your website.

Here's your four-story urban high angle shooting simulator, available at your nearest equipment rental center..........

jlg-3369le,b7dad3b8.jpg

That's actually a great idea, though I'd be sure to get the largest one like that with the all terrain wheels. It'll be safer and more stable.

But with this you can control the height and depending on distance and terrain it should do all but the most extreme angles at long distances.

Now I studied math at university, I'm not recommending anyone go through several years of calculus. What I am recommending though, if you're truly interested in shooting and have time to go to a school, is to enroll at any local CC and take 3 courses: Trig 1 and 2 (at least 1) and Newtonian mechanics 101. You could take one class at a time, that's only one hour per day probably 3 days a week. A solid understanding of algebra is required for all three and I'd take the trig before the physics (any higher level of physics will require calculus). I have to admit I learned more about ballistics and shooting in general from those three classes. At the end of the day, physics is physics and trig is trig and shooting depends on the first two.

Finally, on my .50 rifle, I have a cosine indicator that gives me the cosine value based on angle of my rifle. Basically that's multiplied by the distance to yield the modified distance. That's it, it's that easy. I think it's overpriced as fuck, but it's a handy tool (it's damn near $2-300 for the milspec one mounted to a Badger ring --and I'd definitely get the milspec one here). Wind and other shit is determined as usual. There may be other atmospheric conditions to consider, such as altitude differences and it's effects on temperature and pressure, but think of 'em as like spin drift --you probably aren't bothering with the calculation anyway.

There are cheats to the math you can learn, but there is no substitute for the sheer understanding, no shortcut.

Just something to consider...

if you're truly interested in shooting and have time to go to a school, is to enroll at any local CC and take 3 courses: Trig 1 and 2 (at least 1) and Newtonian mechanics 101. You could take one class at a time, that's only one hour per day probably 3 days a week. A solid understanding of algebra is required for all three and I'd take the trig before the physics (any higher level of physics will require calculus). I have to admit I learned more about ballistics and shooting in general from those three classes. At the end of the day, physics is physics and trig is trig and shooting depends on the first two.
Yes sir, one of the advantages of having an engineering degree that is heavily based on mechanical engineering classes is that all that shit and more was covered in school and the textbooks are freely available in case a refresher is needed.

Solving these problems is not a trivial exercise but neither it is the super secret ultra difficult shit that some in the mil/LE side of this hobby make it out to be.

There are cheats to the math you can learn, but there is no substitute for the sheer understanding, no shortcut.

Just something to consider...

Im a mechanical engineer so i got a healthy dose of math/physics/etc lol.

Sorry guys i stopped getting notifications on this thread for some reason, though it was dead.

Turns out the wife wants to visit some family in Arizona or a friend in Colorado so im digging deeper into the courses in those areas.

High angle will tickle my fancy but dangling on a sheer mountain by a rope does not lol. Id likely do it for the gram but id enjoy that class less due to all the pants ill have to throw away after.

Reactions: TigernLionGSP
The rope work in the Rifles Only High Angle is only with the special operations military groups that train here. We try to keep the civilian classes firmly on the ground; but being in shape to haul your gear up and down game trails in the mountains is a requirement.