• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High BC

wapiti16b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
New Mexico
Who makes the highest BC 175g 30cal. bullets not including Warner Flatlines ? as the rounds may be used for hunting if applicable.
Thanks

If hunting is in the mix, I'd bet a Barnes 175gr LRX or TSX (180gr) is near or at the top...(.508/484). I'd trust Barnes TSX over the ELDX when hunting TBH.

That's funny right there ?
The Hornady 178eldm would be a good choice and it's actually Doppler verified not pretend like nosler.

Funny, my RDF BC that Im using to get my data to line up is higher than advertised...

Also, neither of these options, eldM or rdf are optimal for hunting.

The eldX would be better suited but Ive heard plenty of reports about it not performing as desired as well.

Bergers are the place I would go if top BC is the only requirement for the hunting bullet. I factor in price though so I would probably lean towards the lighter sierra gamechanger or a nosler accubond blem or something like the solid barns bullets might be a good choice though not quite as dirt cheap or expensive as the others.

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
Funny, my RDF BC that Im using to get my data to line up is higher than advertised...

The eldX would be better suited but Ive heard plenty of reports about it not performing as desired as well.

Bergers are the place I would go if top BC is the only requirement for the hunting bullet. I factor in price though so I would probably lean towards the lighter sierra gamechanger or a nosler accubond blem or something like the solid barns bullets might be a good choice though not quite as dirt cheap or expensive as the others.

Concur on the ELDX comment. I was not impressed at all by their performance (hence my comment about Barnes TSX or LRX). I've never had a Barnes hunting bullet not perform as advertised...

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
Concur on the ELDX comment. I was not impressed at all by their performance (hence my comment about Barnes TSX or LRX). I've never had a Barnes hunting bullet not perform as advertised...

+1 Barnes T-TSX are awesome.

When I used their factory loaded 308 for hunting, they did 1.5" group at about 200m (my hunting zero distance) out of my near stock 26" Savage 10FP with my wicked awesome SWFA Fixed 10x42m mil-dot with MOA turrets LOL.

Part of me misses that gun because she shot 175g SMK's so damn well "for a Savage" (.5-.75 MOA all day).

I could only assume he was referring to the Accubond Long range.
Never had any failures with the 178amax on some pretty good size hogs and isn't the 178eldm the same AMP jackets and profile just with a different material used for the tips.

Reactions: Aimsmall55
I could only assume he was referring to the Accubond Long range.
Never had any failures with the 178amax on some pretty good size hogs and isn't the 178eldm the same AMP jackets and profile just with a different material used for the tips.

It could just be a difference of calibers. The ELDX in 6.5 just sucked ass for consistent performance (one round would pencil through, the next would grenade) in my experience (270'ish yard shots). I'd expect the .308 to perform better (bigger hunk of lead), but my experiences just put me off of them. Even small 6mm TSX's (85gr's) always opened up to perfect little flowers every time I used them (or had my younger brother use them). I was always amazed at their consistency, and how wide they expanded, all while retaining most of their mass.

Maybe I just got unlucky(?), but there's enough other people saying the same thing to make me steer clear of them (personally).

It could just be a difference of calibers. The ELDX in 6.5 just sucked ass for consistent performance (one round would pencil through, the next would grenade) in my experience (270'ish yard shots). I'd expect the .308 to perform better (bigger hunk of lead), but my experiences just put me off of them. Even small 6mm TSX's (85gr's) always opened up to perfect little flowers every time I used them (or had my younger brother use them). I was always amazed at their consistency, and how wide they expanded, all while retaining most of their mass.

Maybe I just got unlucky(?), but there's enough other people saying the same thing to make me steer clear of them (personally).

No I don't think you were unlucky as that's not the first time I've heard of issues with the 6.5 eldx giving erratic results. I think you nailed it on the 30 cal having not only more mass and frontal area but to add to that lower velocity.
If I were to run them in my 300wm I'm willing to bet they would behave more like the 168AMAX in 308 when pushed above 2700 fps.
I've shot a few coyotes with the 168amax and the results were messy.

Reactions: MarinePMI

I’ve had similar experience(s) as well. With the factory ELD-X ammo in 7RM, I never had a whitetail go further than a few yards after a hit in the vitals. I don’t remember ever having anything other than shots in the vitals with it. The 7RM has been like the hammer of Thor on white tails with eld-x for me hahaha.

The other day, I was using the factory 6.5 Creedmoor ELD-X ammo and the bullet clipped the deer’s shoulder and I didn’t even get an exit. The deer ended up only making it about 50 yards but it was in some thick nasty thorny brush down a pretty big slope at night and it definitely made me miss the 7RM tracking that deer in the thorns without a good blood trail.

ETA: I’ve had excellent results from the factory loaded super performance 168’s in 308 both on game and group size in multiple rifles.

Last edited:

Thats exactly what I have heard. My cousin is a guide on the king ranch, he had a hell of a time with the 6.5 edlX factory ammo, not expanding at all, pinky sized hole in and the same out. He has gone to the federal nontypical for a dependable hunting bullet. Its the opposite of high BC but he says its effectiveness on animals is worlds better.

I'm thinking the Bergers also since this will be primarily a hunting round , currently I'm going between the Berger 168 classics and hybrids as this is what my rifle likes. I'm just shopping for a 175g option for farts and giggles , I never considered the Barnes but will give them a look . Regarding the Barnes what are the expansion rates like on the low side of velocity as I'm shooting a 20"barrel ?
The RDFs might be a option for target but only if I do not have to weight sort due to poor quality control , the ELDXs are not quite there as far as weight consistency IME but did prove accurate during 100 yard testing with various powders , I'm just leery of 4 or 500 yard performance on game .
Bergers have never done me wrong , I just wish Litz would do a 175 hybrid hunter !

In my opinion, the 2 most tested bonded bullets with decent BC are the regular Nosler Accubonds and the Hornady Interbonds. I have personal experience with both, and have not been disappointed.

For the copper bullets, I have used Barnes TSX. If you use a solid copper bullet on small game I would recommend stepping down one weight class from normal. If you typically shoot a 175 or 180, consider a 168 in the TSX due to the fact that they are considerably longer for weight. Also the bit of extra higher velocity will help them open up on deer sized game.

I took 168gr TSX's and my 30-06 to Namibia and killed Gemsbock, Kudu, Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, and Red Hartebeest. No issues with accuracy or penetration.

^^^^ This. In spades. My buddy/neighbor did the same, using TSX's on just about every game animal in South Africa (he's from there originally) on his last trip. Kind of hard to argue with the results.

First deer I shot with a 6.5 143 ELD-X was less than stellar performance. Hit a rib upon entry took an upward turn bounced off the spine and destroyed the far side shoulder. The deer was also damn near in my lap, about 15 yards away, my fault I shouldn't have shot it that close. Since then we (my 11 year old son, wife and I) have only had one with poor performance penciled in and out passed between ribs on both sides punching through the heart the mule deer buck was DRT @ 150yds. This year 5 deer between 150 and 300 yards all DRT. 2 elk both around 260 yards one DRT the other slowly walked 30 yards and dropped dead. All were taken with the 6.5 creedmoor and a 143 ELD-X. 3 more elk taken with a 300 win mag 200 grain ELD-X. 100 yards DRT exit hole i could put my fist in, 280 yards stumbled about 15 yards and dropped. The last one 580 yards DRT. All were one shot kills with factory Hornady precision hunter ammunition. All shots passed completely through. I refuse to shoot Barnes after some shit customer service many years back, always had a lot of fragmentation and excessive meat damage with Nosler accubonds.

Next time I'm up your way, we'll need to break out a bottle of bourbon and discuss this a bit more in detail. Interesting results to say the least...

...always had a lot of fragmentation and excessive meat damage with Nosler accubonds.
LR Accubonds or regular Accubonds? I haven't seen that with the regular Accubonds, the LR Accubonds have a reputation for that though.

Same experience here, the regular accubond bullets I've use and the few I've recovered have all been very predictable in performance and hold together very well even when they encounter heavy bone on larger animals.