• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High cap Savage mags?

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Does anybody know if there are higher capacity mags that will work with the Savage factory bottom metal? I have a Savage Model 10 predator in 6.5 CM with a DBM. The mag is stamped standard short, so I assume that any 308 mags would work the same. So I was wondering if there are higher capacity factory mags I could get.

Thanks
Bob

Re: High cap Savage mags?

Sharp shooter supply or some guys here on the hide have modified other mags to work also..

Ch

two guys and the search will help you find them. z71rat and deadeye both make a 10 that will fit factory and CDI makes a DBM that takes AICS mags. member search would be quickest

Funny thing is Savage sells a 10 round mag....it's just never in stock!

deadeye/ DarkEagle Custom - http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/

Have a 10 rounder from him and it is built like a tank with a metal follower and AR style spring unlike the 9+ month wait and cheap spring(2 factory ones shrink tubed together)/follower (standard savage plastic one) of SSS.

z71rat His Rat Mags I hear are very nice to but things got tight for me before I could afford one so I am just trying to hold on to what I have right now and not sell anything but he is on my short list for a mag sometime. He spent a lot of time to get it right and has great customer service.

The other option would be to get a accurate mag bottom metal. It is a direct replacement of the factory dbm and accepts AICS mags. It's what I did and couldn't be happier.

any pics of the conversion? is that how its marketed? under accurate mags name? SSS has an ACME that takes accurate mags or AI but im not sure which

i have heard that accurate makes the stamped metal part of the savage factory mag. i just didnt know they did DBMs as well.

Interesting, I've never heard of Accurage Mag. I'm gonna go w/ CDI since I ordered the stock from Manners that way, but would have been an alternative w/ the regular Savage inlet.

How much do their DBMs go for??

http://www.accurate-mag.com/BottomMetals.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tkellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other option would be to get a accurate mag bottom metal. It is a direct replacement of the factory dbm and accepts AICS mags. It's what I did and couldn't be happier.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tkellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The other option would be to get a accurate mag bottom metal. It is a direct replacement of the factory dbm and accepts AICS mags. It's what I did and couldn't be happier. </div></div>

shocked.gif
This looks awesome. How much does this set up run and will it work with the accustock models?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting, I've never heard of Accurage Mag. I'm gonna go w/ CDI since I ordered the stock from Manners that way, but would have been an alternative w/ the regular Savage inlet.

How much do their DBMs go for??

http://www.accurate-mag.com/BottomMetals.html
</div></div>

I am with you never heard of them and it might be a nice option to get into AI mags depending on price.

The price was $139.95+shipping which was like $12.50 I think to my door. As far as the accustock models you'll have to call them. The asked me if I had that type of stock when I ordered but I don't so I can't help you there. I'll post pics when I get my rig set up.

I just saw a video on their website that said it would work for the accustock.

Just FYI. I have a CDI on my savage long action and really I can't tell much of a difference between the too quality wise.

Savage factory inlet... 10 round Alpha magazines... Hmmmmm.

And there will be some changes here shortly...

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just saw a video on their website that said it would work for the accustock. </div></div>

Holy cow... no kidding?? I will have to check that out. So far, nothing that I have seen from them has had the Savage bolt pattern with the bottom metal. Warrants further investigation though.

DK

There CS is great too. After I talked to a lady and placed my order. Anthony(not sure on spelling) called to make sure it would fit the rifle I had. Fast shipping too. Placed my order and two days later I had my dbm.

Wow... that is impressive. I saw the video, and that is definately a Savage, but I am unclear about the Accustock. I didn't see anything that would allow the bolt release machanism to function. Unless of course I missed something.

That didn't look to be the factory trigger guard, so I wonder just what they are doing to accomodate that part...

DK

Also, the magazines that were shown were their own Accurate Magazines. The have the same body pattern of the AI magazines, but I am curious if the Alpha magazines will function correctly as well.

I am sure that you can see the pattern that I am putting together on this subject... LOL.

DK

I may just have to sell my new Predator and get a VLP. I would think the transition from there would be a super easy one with the side bolt release.

DK

I have to say that I am all for this... I am honestly tired of making magazines. I would rather go out and shoot... that is where my passion resides.

DK

I'll be purchasing a Alpha mag or two so I will let you know if no one else does z71rat. I need a 5rd mag for hunting but need 10rd mag for everything else. I think they have a way for the bolt release to work on the accustock but you'd have to check with them.

Please let me know about their magazines and their cost. I have had 2 magazines on order from Alpha for some time now, and still nothing.

I too am needing a 5 rounder for hunting, and a couple of 10 rounders. If they are good, they will probably end up with my business.

DK

Oh, I am sorry. I misread your post. I was curious about the Accurate Mags.

I have 2 Mortas here, and they function well in the CDI bottom metal that I have. It is however, a bitch to put the magazine in the well though.

DK

I am hoping the 2 Alpha magazines that I have had ordered for quite a while will insert into the magwell easier than the Mortas do. I don't know yet how exact the designs are.

DK

Hmmmmm... sounds interesting. I might have to go with the Accurate setup all the way around... mags, and bottom metals.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please let me know about their magazines and their cost. I have had 2 magazines on order from Alpha for some time now, and still nothing.

I too am needing a 5 rounder for hunting, and a couple of 10 rounders. If they are good, they will probably end up with my business.

DK </div></div>

Just curious about what you are hunting in Colorado that requires a 5 rounder for a bolt action?

I make 10 round mags for the 308 Center feed Savage bottom metal.

Just got boxes back from anodizing and will have some ready soon. I have to contact guys on the waiting list first but I did a large enough batch to have extras.

I am currently trying to get caught up on the gun work to do the 223/204 run. Prototype testing is underway for those.

I also have a 5 round prototype ready for testing for the short mags.

Here is what my 308 10-round mags look like - Aluminum lower and follower with AR style spring.

product-6.jpg

Darkeagle Custom Products Page

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: native</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious about what you are hunting in Colorado that requires a 5 rounder for a bolt action? </div></div>

Nothing that "requires" them. I just prefer the shorter profile for hunting is all.

DJ

Im going to call them tomorrow morning and get the scoop on the accustock version. I'll post my findings when I know.

In michigan unless your hunting varmints you are limit to a 5rd mag...atleast thats my understanding of the rules.

Our rules here only limit the capacity of the rifle if it is a semi-auto. The 10 round capacity is fine for hunting as long as you are using a bolt gun. We have various rules that are in place for different things... alot of them I don't understand.

BUT, we must abide by them or face the consequences. I don't care for consequences.

DK

Ok I talked to Anthony at AM. He said it works with the new accustock model thats on the FCP-SR. Ones with the bolt release on the front of the tigger guard (10 PC) it will not work for.
mad.gif

Does anyone know if there is a conversion to move the bolt release to inside the trigger guard? If there is you could probably make it work...

ETA: Doesn't CDI do a conversion?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to say that I am all for this... I am honestly tired of making magazines. I would rather go out and shoot... that is where my passion resides.
DK</div></div>

Good to know we were able to finally find a solution for Savage hi-cap magazines. Best of all, they take AI mags.

I only wish I ordered my Manners stock with a regular Savage inlet instead of the CDI inlet.

Jay

Tagging (with hopes that if anyone gets one of these, they can post the details here). I could really put a couple of these to good use. Bummer about the Accustock/bolt release deal, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only wish I ordered my Manners stock with a regular Savage inlet instead of the CDI inlet.

Jay </div></div>

There is not enough of a difference in the inlets to prevent you from using the factory bottom metal. In fact, I only had to open up the magazine well ever so slightly to get the CDI to drop in perfectly on my Predator Max Accustock. Your Manners inlet will be perfectly suited for the factory bottom metal.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I talked to Anthony at AM. He said it works with the new accustock model thats on the FCP-SR. Ones with the bolt release on the front of the tigger guard (10 PC) it will not work for.
mad.gif

Does anyone know if there is a conversion to move the bolt release to inside the trigger guard? If there is you could probably make it work...

ETA: Doesn't CDI do a conversion? </div></div>

That is exactly what I was thinking was happening. So the AM bottom metals and trigger guards will work with the Accutrigger rifles, but not the Accustocked rifles. Makes sense to me.

On the other topic, yes, Jeff at CDI has an additional tab that can be added to the bolt release tab as found on the Accustocked models. It allows the bolt release to be relocated to the inside of the trigger housing, much like on a Remington.

DK