• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes High end 10x fixed.

g3ninfinite

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Los Angeles County
Ok so I've been out of the LR game for a few years now. Quite frankly I'm shocked at the current prices of high end scopes. With that being said I want to invest in a 10x scope. Besides the S&B 10x42 which lacks illumination are there any other high end options?

Well I won't ask why you want a fixed 10x, but it does limit the high end options. The S&B and the USO ST10 are the only ones that come to mind. IOR has one as well, although not a premium optic, it is quite nice. SWFA and Leupold have them as well. Kahles, Premier, and Henny don't have fixed 10x models to my knowledge, and they are the only other top tier optics.

Well I won't ask why you want a fixed 10x, but it does limit the high end options. The S&B and the USO ST10 are the only ones that come to mind. IOR has one as well, although not a premium optic, it is quite nice. SWFA and Leupold have them as well. Kahles, Premier, and Henny don't have fixed 10x models to my knowledge, and they are the only other top tier optics.

Pretty much covered it all.
OP, why did you settle on a 10X as opposed to a variable? Is it simply due to the cost?

If you want to save a few bucks and still get a "higher" end 10x optic, SWFA has a 10x HD. It's spoken highly of.

Ill 2nd the USO ST10. Great scope, I recently saw one for under $1000. I like variable zoom scopes but also believe that a fixed power scope has a tendencay to track better and be more reliable. The whole "less moving parts thing".

I will ask. Why a fixed 10x? You obviously will spend good money if you were looking at a S&B 10x and with that budget there are many quality variables what will be much more versatile for shooting long range. Just don't want you to make an expensive mistake.

I'm sure you have a good and personal reason for wanting to put good money in a fixed power scope, but I can't help but wonder what the intended purpose is. with todays quality tracking and repeatability built in scopes, about the only folks still buying fixed ones are the benchrest crowd who shoot only one set distance for extreme bug hole accuracy. I have a friend who has a 45x fixed. He is limited as to what he can do with it, especially at distance on a heavy mirage day he's screwed. The mirage wont hinder you at 10x, but you will not be able to see scoring rings on your target at long range. Just one persons take on it, but like the saying goes; "the heart wants what the heart wants"

My vote is for the USO ST10. Solid scopes, lots of options (well minus the ERGO objective now) Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA adjustments and reticles. Good glass on mine. I use them on my .22 trainers ( mainly due to having same reticle in all my scopes) and I have had no complaints.

AS

A fixed 10 and illumination barley exsist unless you buy some crazy brand.

SShd10x42mq best route without busting the bank

My vote is for the USO ST10. Solid scopes, lots of options (well minus the ERGO objective now) Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA adjustments and reticles. Good glass on mine. I use them on my .22 trainers ( mainly due to having same reticle in all my scopes) and I have had no complaints.

AS

And don't forget my favorite option/feature the internal bubble level :p

Hey guys sorry to chime in so late. Long story short Ive owne S&B 3-12, 4-16, 5-25, Premier 3-15 etc. At the current moment the only scopes that are of particular interest to me are a S&B 10x, and a Hensoldt SSG-P 3-12. Had the pleasure of shooting with a buddies USO MST-100 for a few months and and besides not having mil turrets and illumnation I cant say i enjoyed shooting any other scope more than that darned 10x.

BTW scope is for a 20" .308 that i do not plan on shooting past 1k on anything other than man sized steel targets.

Hey guys sorry to chime in so late. Long story short Ive owne S&B 3-12, 4-16, 5-25, Premier 3-15 etc. At the current moment the only scopes that are of particular interest to me are a S&B 10x, and a Hensoldt SSG-P 3-12. Had the pleasure of shooting with a buddies USO MST-100 for a few months and and besides not having mil turrets and illumnation I cant say i enjoyed shooting any other scope more than that darned 10x.

BTW scope is for a 20" .308 that i do not plan on shooting past 1k on anything other than man sized steel targets.

If you enjoyed the MST-100 then it only makes sense you'd enjoy the USO ST-10 since IMO it's essentially the same except with more options like illumination, EREK knob, internal level, etc. I had one for almost a year on my GAP-10 and I employed it out as far as 1250 on a full size IPSC with no issues.

if your only complaint with the s&b 10x is that it doesnt have illumination then what about waiting for that new 2.5-10x42 nightforce that lowlight just did the video on and pretending its a fixed 10. it has the upgraded glass and you could pick mil/mil or moa/moa. it would be cheaper then the s&b. consider it like a 10x fixed scope with the optional feature of being able to turn the power down if you needed to.

10X56 30mm TACTICAL MP-8 DOT ILLUMINATED RETICLE

valdada_16_-_version_2.jpg

mp-8dot_3.jpg

If you could live without illumination I would take a look at the SS HD and even the Sightron SIII. Or go variable.

Attachments

• valdada_16_-_version_2.jpg
    valdada_16_-_version_2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 32
Found the video. I do not care for SFP.

please dont let it come across that im trying to push this scope on you, especially since its not even out yet and ive never seen one in person. but when youre looking for a fixed 10 power, and that scope has a max magnification of 10 power, and the reticle is true at 10 power, then what does it matter that its second focal plane? you could literally leave it on 10x and pretend its a fixed 10 but have the option of lower power if needed. i guess all im saying is if youre looking for a 10 power scope then why limit yourself to only fixed power scopes when any scope with a max power of 10 will serve the same purpose

+1 - I love my ST-10. At times i would like more power, but have no complaints about the usability or durability of this scope.

And it has an illumined reticle and mine has the EREK elevation turret and the ERGO objective, great scope. I have seen used ones go for as low as 1K to 1.2K LNIB.

The SWFA 10X HD would be good for that. I see them used for 600-700 on here all the time. It is no frills, mil mil, Japanese made so decent quality.

Ok so I've been out of the LR game for a few years now. Quite frankly I'm shocked at the current prices of high end scopes. With that being said I want to invest in a 10x scope. Besides the S&B 10x42 which lacks illumination are there any other high end options?

U.S. Optics is now making their ST-10 again, which they had initially dropped with the other scopes there was low demand for.

Is your scope shifting int he rings? Looks like it has marks on the tube as if it's slid rearward because of recoil.

Nope...those are older ring marks.

I moved it forward a tad after about a year of shooting it primarily out of a prone position.

I prefer fixed magnification optics as well. Fixed daysights always seem to be more clear when compared to a variable set at the same magnification, maybe fewer lenses inside for the light to pass through or something, not sure? I've definitely seen fewer broken fixed than variable scopes.

As far as illumination goes, I've found that in practice I always start losing the ability to identify my target before I lose the reticle so I don't bother with illumination.

I'm sure that in some circumstances it could be very useful, but for me, it hasn't been. Every time ive been shooting at night has been for nightfire training or qual and always involves target identification. Hostage taker/hostage or "shoot the one with red hair", "the guy with the moustache", etc.

I always lose the ability to identify my target before I lose the reticle, for this reason I would spend the extra money on glass quality rather than illumination.