• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes High end hunting - Swarovski vs Leica?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    SH,

I'm in the market for a hunting scope with premium glass. I've narrowed it down to;

Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42mm
    Leica ER 2.5-10x42mm

The Leica is a bit cheaper than the Swarovski. Can anyone tell me if I'm giving up any glass quality?

Lastly, and other details I should know about these two scopes?

Thanks for your time

Re: High end hunting - Swarovski vs Leica?

not sure if this will help but,
    I know you narrowed it to those two but its really hard to beat S&B when your talking high end glass if you ask me. I dont have any experience with Leica scopes but can say that my Swarovski's have always been really nice.

Nf 2.5-10 w one of the velocity reticles might be worth a lOok too

I just put a US Optics 1.8-10x37mm on a 7mmSaum that I had built. Love the scope & rifle 3/8" groups with break the barrel in loads... My new Elk rifle for this year!

The Z6 field of view will be much greater I would venture to say about 50% more by comparison. I've also noticed that the edge to edge clarity is better in the swaro as well.

The lecia has great optical clarity but might have an internal adjustment range that night be too limited for your application.

It's hard to beat a Swarovski Z6 for hunting.

Thanks guys.

I gotta say I'm really leaning Swaro. That low-end FOV is really something. I don't understand how they do it, but having a rifle scope that's like using a pair of binoculars is quite an advantage.

I have the NF already. Frankly, the glass ain't all that. I had the USO also. I just ain't sold on FFP in a hunting scope.

I'll take a harder look at that S&B, but it'll be a tough sell

Thank again

I'd throw in a Premier hunter. The glass on a premier is exquisite and rivals that of S&B.

I have a Premier light tactical on a hunting rifle and love every bit of it. Of course the light tactical has turrets, but I can make hits with my GAP non-typical out to 1000 yds in field conditions. That right there makes hunting all the more exciting.

Bottom line, you will be happy with any of the high end optics, you just need to decide which one suits your needs when it comes to weight, magnification, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ain't sold on FFP in a hunting scope.</div></div>

Good Lord don't say that here! The last time I tried to point this out for a hunting scope, I got FLAMED! I would love a S&B. I am really surprised to here about the glass in the NF & USO. The guy giving me instruction asked if I wanted to shoot his rig and look through his NF. I turned him down because I didn't want to live with thinking about what I was missing with my Vortex.

I know NF is worshiped like a god around here but i wouldn't compare NF glass to Swaro. Get the Z6

Out of the 2, I'd go wih the Swaro Z6.

If open to other options, check out Schmidt & Bender - doesn't get any better!!

I know a lot of people that swear by the Z6's. I don't know anyone with a Leica. I'm sure either of them are way more than enough for any hunt though!

The got the Swaro mounted up today. I hope to zero it tomorrow and start my load testing.

Overall I think I made the right decision. The glass is impeccable, and the large FOV is going to be very nice in the woods this year.

My only complaint is the elevation turret. I was excited about the fact that this scope has 1/10 mil clicks, as that is what I use on my other scopes. Unfortunately Swarovski only marks turret clicks on about 1/2 the face of the turret. The rest of the turret is completely blank! It's almost like they are discouraging you from dialing for distance. Why would they do this?

Anyone know if I can get their ballistic turret as an upgrade?

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5520.jpg

IMG_5527.jpg

Yep, i have the Ballistic Turret on my Z5, dial from 100 to 500 meters with ease.
    You can get the BT on the Z6 but i'm unsure if they retro fit.