• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High End Spotting Scope Recommendation

beb0541

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2014
South Florida
Gents,

I'm looking for a top of the line spotting scope that I can clearly see out to 1500 yards with. I have a bunch of NightForce optics and love them. Thinking about the TS-82, but wanted to get some feedback from people who have used it first hand. If someone has another spotter that they love and recommend please tell me about it. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Clark

Give Scott at Liberty Optics a call. He'll point you in the right direction. Otherwise, the Kowa is very highly rated, as is the Vortex Razor and for the money the Razor is hard to beat. It will hang right up there with the top tier alpha glass for around half the money. You can even find them used on here from time to time or LNIB occasionally on SWFA's sample list which is where I got my razor and wouldn't trade it for anything out there. Do yourself a favor, call Scott. He'll tell it to you straight without any B.S. and get you into a great scope.

Gents,

I'm looking for a top of the line spotting scope that I can clearly see out to 1500 yards with. I have a bunch of NightForce optics and love them. Thinking about the TS-82, but wanted to get some feedback from people who have used it first hand. If someone has another spotter that they love and recommend please tell me about it. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Clark

the nightforce is a nice spotter for the money, it resolves very well. I have to agree with mike, if you want the best, leica and swarovski are king of the hill, although swarovski's new atx and stx systems are my current favorite, it's just nice to have the good optics, flexability, and the controls are both centered and very intuitive. give me a call, we can discuss everything your doing and I'll help you find the scope that best fits your needs.

I absolutely love the clarity of the Swarovski, but as an eyeglass wearer, can't bring myself to spend that much on a spotter with only 20mm eye relief. My Leupold isn't nearly as good, but at least I can see a full field image due to 30mm eye relief. I'm not sure why the others can't do it, but perhaps there's a reason.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/e43f3fd0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I don't know, I have a Swarovski and it's only so-so. I've had it side by side with some other scopes at different matches, and it doesn't compare well. It's older, so I'm assuming the new stuff is better. It's puts a yellow tint on everything and just doesn't resolve detail like others I've looked through.

I really like my Kowa 883. Others that look through it always mention "bright, clear, sharp, etc.". I picked it up used, here on the exchange.

Keith

just got the big razor and side by side with a 5 year old swaro it is better to both my eyes and my buddies but there new stuff is probably better but for twice the cost it should be. I was watching deer well after sunset last night.

I use the Pentax PF-100ED. That's a great spotter as well and the large objective gives me excellent resolving power. The great thing about the Pentax is I can use telescope eyepieces since it accepts the standard 1.25" eyepieces so I have eyepieces such as the Televue Delos as well as the Pentax XW line of eyepieces.

It also allows me to use astrophotography cameras which I use to record my "through spotter" shots on my laptop.

I'm very happy with my Kowa. Bought it from Liberty Optics years ago. Give Scott a call... he'll treat you right!

Gents,

Cheers,
Clark
We use two different Swarovski ones. .. can't beat them! Expensive but the best

VORTEX Razor. Each time I look through it, my jaw drops to the ground...but then again, I buy them from the Vortex dealer friend.

Right about Christmas time Creedmoor Sports offers a scope package that includes a Kowa, stand, extra rods. scope head 25LER eyepiece, lens protectors and bag/cover for stand/scope - price +/- $1300. Its more of a high power comp set up, not so much field snipery. Ive been happy wth it. I did buy a 20-60X eyepiece and I find it useful but adds another $300 to the price above. Last time at 880 yards I was dialed back to 20X for the most part and could see trace/impacts. The 25LER would have worked fine, actually better because of the LER.

KOWA TSN-82SV 82MM SPOTTING SCOPE - 82mm SCOPES - Kowa Spotting Scopes - Kowa Scopes - Scopes & Stands | Creedmoor Sports
KOWA TE-17HD 25X LER EYEPIECE FOR 82SV SCOPE - EYEPIECES FOR TSN-82SV - Eyepieces - Kowa Scopes - Scopes & Stands | Creedmoor Sports
Polecat Scope Stand - Creedmoor Stands - Scopes & Stands | Creedmoor Sports
Creedmoor Spotting Scope Cover - Accessories - Scopes & Stands | Creedmoor Sports
Polecat Scope Head Only - Creedmoor Stands - Scopes & Stands | Creedmoor Sports
Padded Scope Stand Bag - Accessories - Scopes & Stands | Creedmoor Sports
See Through Eyepiece Cover - Accessories - Scopes & Stands | Creedmoor Sports
See-Thru Objective Lens Cover for Kowa 82mm Scopes - Accessories - Scopes & Stands | Creedmoor Sports

For ranging it wont help you much. For field use Id want lighter/less gear. My set up takes up the the entire main compartment of an Ebrlestock GSII. Great for walking from the truck to the firing line

Any interest contact them to see when they are doing the package deal.

Last edited:
If money is no object. Spotter 45 or 60 for sure. Ive looked through a NF TS-82 side by side with a spotter 60 and the TS-82 was super impressive on the comparison. It does not have a ranging reticle though.

After I picked up my Vortex Razor... I can't imagine spending $2-3K more would give me that much more image quality.

The Vortex Razor is amazing for any dollar amount.

I also use a Vortex Razor 20-60x85 and while it is a touch large to be lugging around, if you are set up at a static range it works well. However, with that said, optics are just like everything else in the shooting world. If you are one of those "yeah its nice but it's not a ......." type of person then get the one you feel will do the best for what you need to see while at the same time what you may need for others to see you using. :)

Meopta makes the NF TS-82 and its Meostar is virtually identical to the NF but a few G notes cheaper. I love mine and so do the pros who have reviewed it. Brightness, clarity, depth of field are simply stunning and are equal to, if not better than, the high end brands. I don't miss or need a ranging reticle cuz I like to digiscope. Good luck with your search. There are a lot of good choices out there.
Skip

Spotters are so different in prices. It all depends on what you want to spend. Easy to spend a few thousand on them. For most jobs I need one for in the south I love my lupy 15-30 compact because of its size and weight but I really like the Lieca if you want a bigger one for getting up close and personal. Money and needs will tell you what you can get. Sworkski, Leica, Ziess would be my top 3 brands with Vortex, bushnell, Leuopold, Kowa, and meopta as the follow up. Never looked through the NF. I think I'm going with a Lupy MK4 next. It's not the greatest in glass in everyones eyes but for me its better than it has to be and has a lot going for it with accessories like NV and such. Good luck

I use the Pentax PF-100ED. That's a great spotter as well and the large objective gives me excellent resolving power. The great thing about the Pentax is I can use telescope eyepieces since it accepts the standard 1.25" eyepieces so I have eyepieces such as the Televue Delos as well as the Pentax XW line of eyepieces.

It also allows me to use astrophotography cameras which I use to record my "through spotter" shots on my laptop.
That is one big mother of a spotter.
I have the PF-65ED and while is much better than my old Leupold it is still not a 'great' one.

I would take a hard look at the Meopta. It performs right up there with the Swaro. As mentiioned before, they are making the NF spotter. Really really nice.

I picked up a Vortex Razor 16-48x65 a few months ago. My first quality spotter. Also bought the 23X MRAD eyepiece for added versatility. I'm very happy with it.

Swaro or Leica. Unless you plan on using it a lot for ELR - then a spotter 45 or 60. I've had a Leica for years and have been very happy with it.

Without saying the same old stuff BUT ..... The ATX is the best IMHO , however I use the Swarovski HD65 with a fixed 20x for normal use and have a Vortex eyepiece in 30x with an MOA ret if I'm watching for strike . The quality of the Vortex eyepiece is very good and whilst I've never used one of their spotters I'm sure they are excellent based on the eyepiece . I had the HD80 first but only changed to the HD65 as it fitted into the drag bag better and surprisingly I've not felt ive lost anything in viewing.

I had the Razor 20-60 and it is very good for the money.
I sold it after I got a good deal on a Zeiss Diascope 85 with the new 20-75 eyepiece. It's pretty amazing, it pulls off 75x with no drop in resolution, although the brightness does drop off.
It helps to have a good tripod.

Meopta makes the NF TS-82 and its Meostar is virtually identical to the NF but a few G notes cheaper. I love mine and so do the pros who have reviewed it. Brightness, clarity, depth of field are simply stunning and are equal to, if not better than, the high end brands. I don't miss or need a ranging reticle cuz I like to digiscope. Good luck with your search. There are a lot of good choices out there.
Skip

I think you mean a few C notes cheaper.