• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High end wood stock maker?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Any suggestions on who to deal with as far as high end custom wood hunting stocks?

Any suggestions on who to deal with as far as high end custom wood hunting stocks?
Friend had Montana Custom Guns do a stock in some "exhibition" grade wood for him and it was outstanding work

In todays market you can buy top of the line wood stocked custom rifles for a small fraction of building cost. You get to avoid the frustration of dealing with gunsmiths etc.

Rifles by the greats are selling for very little.
20,000 rifles selling for 3500.

Now cuing up for the story about how attached you are to your barreled action.

Reactions: Bigfatcock
Have you considered Foundation Stocks? have that wood look with the benefits of being basically impossible to scratch

In todays market you can buy top of the line wood stocked custom rifles for a small fraction of building cost. You get to avoid the frustration of dealing with gunsmiths etc.

Rifles by the greats are selling for very little.
20,000 rifles selling for 3500.

Now cuing up for the story about how attached you are to your barreled action.

Would you be able to elaborate a bit on who’s top of the line wood stocked custom rifles?

The old masters were Tom Shellhammer, Dale Goens, Jerry Fisher, Alvin Bisen, Al Linden and many others as well as many more modern guys. Lot of great custom rifles floating around with no home now.

The old masters were Tom Shellhammer, Dale Goens, Jerry Fisher, Alvin Bisen, Al Linden and many others as well as many more modern guys. Lot of great custom rifles floating around with no home now.
I’m not married to any brand or bbl’d action Per se but seeing as it’s a gift and one off he would have to be pretty specific. The bbl’d action im not worried about, it’s finding a stock or a stock maker willing too or capable of making a high grade wood stock

I saw Jerry Fisher locally in 2020 or so and he seemed to be doing well. He's really a magician with stocks.

Oops, guess he died last year.

ATG Wood Works makes some amazing things. He’s on Facebook, not sure if he has a website.
By all accounts, he’s a craftsman of rare talent.

I stole some pics from a recent post, credit where it belongs.

Attachments

• FD4901BF-B66C-4D3E-ADE4-57A0CBCA52F7.jpeg
    FD4901BF-B66C-4D3E-ADE4-57A0CBCA52F7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • 6FD8CFDE-7E03-428E-B07D-192ACEBE6F26.jpeg
    6FD8CFDE-7E03-428E-B07D-192ACEBE6F26.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
  • 99A3942B-945D-4F66-BE08-991D9DC40489.jpeg
    99A3942B-945D-4F66-BE08-991D9DC40489.jpeg
    949.6 KB · Views: 102
AM Little Bespoke Gunmakers
Stephen Heilmann
Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks
Darcy Echols
Duane Weibe

Reactions: RTH1800
Check out Cerus. They mainly cater to the F-class crowd but I believe they offer one for 700 footprint. I think it's called a Hybrid.

You can get most any wood grade blank stock here (inletted or not).
Yup, they be havin' some fine exhibition grade woods, pretty much anything you can think of.
It would cut down the cost a huge amount to buy one already inlet for whatever action and close to final fit.
Probably do everything yourself except checkering and final finish.