• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High Power Air Rifles

pewpewfever

Spineless Peon
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2019
DFW
Anyone here into high power air rifles? I’m tempted by the AirForce Texan SS .457, but I’m wondering if there’s something else I should look at with better features, price being no object.

there are other brands out there but that air force Texan is still pretty nice .. what are you seeing them run for last time I looked they were still around 1k ? the dragon claw still comes to my mind as another that could be pretty neat and at 600. not well its expensive .
https://www.airgundepot.com/sam-yang-dragon-claw-air-rifle.html 700 not 600 . still think the Texan could be the strongest air rifle out there not sure It's not the most expensive , but power wise I have not seen any yet that beat it .
kinda cool video Texan shown .

Last edited:
I have a couple of PCP air rifles that I use for target practice around the house and pest control.

My favorite is my Taipan Veteran in .22. I've taken it out to 272 yards successfully - it's a lot of fun pushing the limits of an airgun, and its a good solution/work around to shooting on my property when its against the law to shoot actual firearms (such as in my case).

Reactions: acudaowner
Thanks, all. I will check those out.

I have several lower power airguns for competition, such as Steyr LP10s and a Thomas FT rifle, and some target ranges set up in my house and fenced back yard. But my interesest in the Texas SS or LSS is as a suppressed, subsonic, hunting tool.

I don’t currently hunt, but I do prep, and I just think there’s a niche for a post SHTF tool that can be used for hunting without attracting attention. This rifle can take deer and is as loud as a dial tone, plus the barrel life is infinite. It can be charged with a hill pump. Ammo would be relatively easy to make. What’s not to like?

Well, you only get 3 accurate shots on a tank fill, but that’s enough for hunting. I am concerned about maintenance though. I’ve had target air pistols that needed new seals every few years. I’m not sure what is required to maintain the Texan or the Hill pump.

I played with a Career 909 in 9mm for a year. 115 grain lead bullets at 650 fps for the first shot. I sold it because it gulped air like crazy and it was a 4 moa rifle.

Also briefly played with AOA's 45 cal rifle. IIRC 900 fps with a 230 cast bullet.

In a couple weeks a American Air Arms EVOL in 30 caliber should be here. Should be tuned to send the JSB 44 grainers at 920 fps and has a decent shot count compared to that old 909 but yes it's half the energy of.

The thing is is now I need to seriously consider crossing over to the dark side by buying an expensive 4500 psi compressor $$??!!

Onto AAA Co, a friend who is a airgun smith, a previous national Field Target champion, and one of the most savvy and intelligent people I've met, visited AAA a few weeks ago in Cali. He was extremely impressed with Tom the owners attitude on "no compromise concerning quality products", as his business model. Said friend says Tom should be charging a lot more money than he is. Go check out this Co's videos on youtube!

Since I have 1500 lbs of lead taking up space, and assuming I do buy a compressor, I'll at some point in the future start casting bullets for powerful PCP's.

I played around with a 300BO with subsonic's, also with friends Sharps BP rifles with cast bullets at 1100 fps, both didn't enthuse me all that much. Sure I can hit stuff farther out/600Y with either but the appeal isn't there for me because wind estimation is so critical.

Right now I have a FX Impact in 25 cal. It gets very erratic past 175Y, I think I need a faster twist barrel like one of those 700mm slug liners they came out with and maybe try some good slugs while I'm at it.

I got back into airguns for the same reasons and was blown away with the power levels, legal quieting devises with no tax stamp needed, able to operate without needing gunpowder, ect. Check out the forum gatewaytoairguns, lots of people have the Air Force Texan in .457 and .257. I’m still playing around with Benjamin pcp rifles as I really like how they are like LEGO sets. Friendly heads up though that forum is a great place but you can’t express “political views” there like you can here.

I don't have any big bores but I was shooting a .22 cal HPA around 40 ft lbs of energy.

It is a fantastic tool for making you a better shooter, from the fundamentals to ranging and wind.

Alright you people have me intrigued. Let’s just say a budget was ~$1200, no optic, less than .30cal. What am I looking for? I’ve got a 5-25 PST or a gen1 razor 5-20. I have access to a 6000psi air compressor anytime I like. My FD just upgraded with an eye towards the future.

Last edited:
I'd buy a used FX Royale 400 in 22 for general use or the Royale 500 in 25 cal if more interested in hunting. The Royale is very dependable and has a solid rep.

Kinda like electric cars. Sure they are good, maybe even better, but Im old school. Gunpowder and fossil fuels.

Kinda like electric cars. Sure they are good, maybe even better, but Im old school. Gunpowder and fossil fuels.

Louis & Clark defended themselves with air rifles.
I’ve got a Daystate that can pick off flies at 30 yards, or drop tree rats at 50 yards, silently, in my metropolitan backyard.
They’re pretty cool.

Last edited:
For many of us it's nice to shoot on our own property when a firearm is illegal to use, like I did for 2 hours earlier today.

Also PCP's can be tuned to have very low SD's compared to a rimfire. That friend I mentioned has some that give 5-6 fps SD's and a particular rifle and barrel combo that can put down .5" groups at 100Y more often than expected.

Also one can sort projectiles by weight, concentricity, head diameter, and various imperfections. Last 3 shots of the day at 100Y were estimated .6-7" at 100Y. Very last shot at 75Y was a hit on a 1" head shot on a tiny man steel target.

With a Moderator these PCP's are very quiet.

I'll be trying a few PCP's in the new NRL22 AG division soon and that was what I was practicing for today.

I also shoot Field Target air rifle comps so there are many reasons why I have these AG's. 7 time state champ here man, as well as a former 2 time long range steel champ in centerfire. It's true, Practicing with AG's will help nail down marksmanship skills.

We love our PB's too.

Alright you people have me intrigued. Let’s just say a budget was ~$1200, no optic, less than .30cal. What am I looking for? I’ve got a 5-25 PST or a gen1 razor 5-20. I have access to a 6000psi air compressor anytime I like. My FD just upgraded with an eye towards the future.
.257 slug shooter. Air Force Texan or check out Jefferson state air rifles. I know a guy that can shoot a 90gr .257 Air Force Texan with minimal mods at 500y and repeatedly hit a 30” steel plate. And you can cast your own bullets. Others are getting 1/4 -1/2 groups at 100y

For many of us it's nice to shoot on our own property when a firearm is illegal to use, like I did for 2 hours earlier today.

Also PCP's can be tuned to have very low SD's compared to a rimfire. That friend I mentioned has some that give 5-6 fps SD's and a particular rifle and barrel combo that can put down .5" groups at 100Y more often than expected.

Also one can sort projectiles by weight, concentricity, head diameter, and various imperfections. Last 3 shots of the day at 100Y were estimated .6-7" at 100Y. Very last shot at 75Y was a hit on a 1" head shot on a tiny man steel target.

With a Moderator these PCP's are very quiet.

I'll be trying a few PCP's in the new NRL22 AG division soon and that was what I was practicing for today.

I also shoot Field Target air rifle comps so there are many reasons why I have these AG's. 7 time state champ here man, as well as a former 2 time long range steel champ in centerfire. It's true, Practicing with AG's will help nail down marksmanship skills.

We love our PB's too.

I love my firearms, and an airgun won't replace any of them.

However the airguns have a place too, which is pest control and plinking in my neighborhood - which is illegal to do so with a firearm. Plus it's super quiet, I can be popping critters and the damn hippies won't have a clue that there's a rock squirrel genocide going on next door.

RWS Diana Sidelever .22

Bought it in .22 for pest control. Head shot dispatches groundhogs and raccoons. Mine is going on 20yrs old. The model 52 is similar.

I was going to mention the fx crown but it’s too much $$$$, and I think the Royale is also out if that price range. I don’t know if a powerful air rifle in that price range that’s regulated. But the Airfirce Texan in the smaller calibers gets many shots before the trajectory starts to drop, and you can add an aftermarket regulator when you’re ready. It’s billed as the most powerful air rifle in the world, and it’s available in many calibers with lots of aftermarket options, plus its in your price range. The .257 one is said to be the best for long range, due to the flat trajectory. One guy says he is shooting exploding golf balls at 350 yards. But it’s not much more powerful than a 22 lr.

you should be able to find a good reliable multi-pump or a spring air gun. CO2 might also be an option but in winter it will be challenging to try to shoot outdoors. Take a look at Benjamin 392 or Hatsan 95. Both are within excellent price range. Benjamin 392 is a little difficult to scope.

I'll be poor over in this corner. BUTT!!! I did grab a Benjamin Marauder Muddy Girl for the wife @ 2 years ago
with a 25% off coopin from Crosman. Also grabbed the rings and CenterPoint Scope that Ted recommended.
Factory pic:
bp2564mgc_001_muddygirl.jpg

EDIT: .25 cal

I got back into airguns for the same reasons and was blown away with the power levels, legal quieting devises with no tax stamp needed, able to operate without needing gunpowder, ect. Check out the forum gatewaytoairguns, lots of people have the Air Force Texan in .457 and .257. I’m still playing around with Benjamin pcp rifles as I really like how they are like LEGO sets. Friendly heads up though that forum is a great place but you can’t express “political views” there like you can here.

I got on GTA and got talked into getting a .25 Sumatra, a suppressor, a hand pump, a slug mold, and a stockpile of gaskets and silicon oil. It has a lot less power than the Texan, but being a repeater that can take out a pack of aggressive wild dogs or a hog, it seems like a good addition as a survival tool that’s not too much gun for small game. I still want the Texan though. My wallet just needs to cool off a little bit.

Reactions: Davo308
Yesterday I got first round hits at 100y on 4 spinners, sizes 2", 1.75", 1.25" and the last was 1".

This was with my FX Impact 25 cal with 34's at 850 fps.

On the KYL rack at 65y I made it down to the 1/2" before I missed.

Sure was happy with the accuracy it was capable of!

OP, what weight slugs did the previous owner say would stabilize?

I got on GTA and got talked into getting a .25 Sumatra, a suppressor, a hand pump, a slug mold, and a stockpile of gaskets and silicon oil. It has a lot less power than the Texan, but being a repeater that can take out a pack of aggressive wild dogs or a hog, it seems like a good addition as a survival tool that’s not too much gun for small game. I still want the Texan though. My wallet just needs to cool off a little bit.
Yup, I saw you there just didn’t get around to saying hi. The slug mold is gonna be the real key to self sufficiency now. If you ask on gta you could probably get a handful of slugs in the popular weights and see what works in your barrel so you don’t have to buy molds just to try em. Careful, they get addictive fast.

Are you able to take video with that scope?

Something like this?

Im pretty sure that was done using a camera with a digiscoping adapter. The ATN does take video that looks similar, it doesn’t have that reticle though. Ifyou want I’ll take some and post it.

Reactions: Davo308
What I like most regarding air rifles is the low cost of ammo and the low report.

Yeah its amazing how quiet a shrouded HPA gun is.

Sometimes I can get 3 or 4 shots fired at a ground squirrel before they react, and thats with a single shot gun.

Ammo is cheap and getting better and better in quality.

I don't have any big bores but I've been into airguns as my primary shooting sport for a few years now. Love how quiet they are and how cheap ammo is. Can get in trigger time in my backyard for pennies any time I want. If going PCP some of the supporting equipment can be expensive initially but nothing really compared to shooting centerfire!

I don't have any big bores but I've been into airguns as my primary shooting sport for a few years now. Love how quiet they are and how cheap ammo is. Can get in trigger time in my backyard for pennies any time I want. If going PCP some of the supporting equipment can be expensive initially but nothing really compared to shooting centerfire!

Exactly, even if you spring for a compressor and a tank is just a one time cost. I use a tank and handpump.

Exactly, even if you spring for a compressor and a tank is just a one time cost. I use a tank and handpump.

Yep, I just got two used tanks off of Ebay for less than $500 with more than a few years left on them. I just got into centerfire and have spent that much on ammo already lol

Yep, I just got two used tanks off of Ebay for less than $500 with more than a few years left on them. I just got into centerfire and have spent that much on ammo already lol
I couldn’t find any, how many cubic feet? Are they 4500 carbon fiber wrapped?

I couldn’t find any, how many cubic feet? Are they 4500 carbon fiber wrapped?
They're both 45min tanks (66 cubic feet if I remember correctly) and yes they're SCBA carbon tanks. Keep an eye out some really good deals pop up probably every month or so. Just make sure they're DOT rated. There are some that aren't (they're certified to the European standard) which means places won't fill them.

Yesterday I got first round hits at 100y on 4 spinners, sizes 2", 1.75", 1.25" and the last was 1".

This was with my FX Impact 25 cal with 34's at 850 fps.

On the KYL rack at 65y I made it down to the 1/2" before I missed.

Sure was happy with the accuracy it was capable of!

OP, what weight slugs did the previous owner say would stabilize?

Hey I just wanted to shamelessly say I'm selling my FX Impact in case someone wants it. Because I'm buying a Daystate DeltaWolf.

I recently shot 15 shots out of the 16 round mag inside ETA - 1" vertical at 100Y the group was 2.5" wide though.

$1450 + shipping and it's yours.

Check out this FT and a Silhouette match I went to last weekend.
Match report

Last edited:
This is going to sound silly as can be but you guys really need to try this out to experience how fun it is...

I found that spreading smashed boiled eggs attracts massive amounts of flies! I put them on an old stop sign that is set on sawhorses.

It's too easy hitting them at 10Y, mediocre difficulty at 20Y, and starting to get tough at 30Y because of wind fluctuations. Friends and I have gone through 3 tins of pellets the last month with 80% hit ratio! That's a lot of splatted flies!

We try for head shots, doubles, ass shots, even wing shots, lol! Let the inner boy out and Try it!

My dad and I got into then this past year. We’ve got a FX varminator and a Hatsan (flashpup). No comparison. The FX is a race car to the hatsan but also costs 4-5x as much. The hatsan can be found on sale as low as 300 and at 35 yards all shots are covered with a dime and 50 yards a quarter covers them if there isn’t any wind.

If you’re shooting with windy conditions or longer distances the .25 cal on up helps out.

My flashpup lives in my cars trunk for pests at work (ground squirrels).

Super quiet and super fun. Will it replace my rimfires or centerfires?...... nope but it’s got its own purpose.

One of these years I will get an Edgun West matador or Leshy2.0. I might even take mine turkey hunting this fall for fun.