• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High Powered Riflescope Recommendation

yahamshari

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2017
Hello.

I am looking to replace the Leupold Mark 6 1-6x20mm M6C1 riflescope I have on my SCAR 17 with a high powered crème de la crème German or Austrian tactical police/military type riflescope by Schmidt & Bender, Kahles, or Hensoldt. I already own scopes by Zeiss, FN, Trijicon, Leupold, Meopta, and Primary Arms Platinum Series. Here are the givens:

- Who I am: A civilian. I am not an "operator"
- My budget: $2,500 to $3,800
- Barrel: 20-inch Krieger, SS, match grade, single-point, cut-rifled, fluted, .775” in outer diameter, 5R rifling, 1:10” RH rifling twist, unsuppressed.
- Ammo: ABM .308 Win 175gr Berger Match OTM Tactical
- Paper target distance: 200 to 800 yards
- Lowest magnification: 4, 5, or 6 x
- Highest magnification: 25x
- Max objective diameter: ~56 mm
- Eye relief: ~3.5"
- Tube size: 34 mm
- Must have features: excellent warranty, matte black finish, Mil dot, FFP, illuminated reticle, and right-sided windage turret since I am a left-handed shooter
- Nice to have features: clockwise locking turret(s)

So far, I came across the following models:

- Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 L/P DT H2CMR FFP MRAD CW (SKU: 677-911-922-94-67) $3,200
- Kahles K624i 6-24x56 LSW CCW SKMR (SKU: 10612) $2,999
- Hensoldt ZF 4-16x56 FF LT CCW Mil (SKU: HZF041656-BHMRL1L1) $2,499

Notes: My understanding is Kahles K624i riflescope offers the best solution if we compare price and quality. If we compare it with S&B PMII 5-25x56 then K624i offers wider field of view on minimal magnification. The S&B PMII has a stronger tunnel effect than the K624i. There is also big difference in delivery time. All S&B riflescopes are custom made and therefore need 14-16 weeks to be manufactured. Delivery time for Kahles rifle scopes is 2-3 weeks.

So, based on the above, which high powered riflescope would you personally buy? Please note that the three models I listed above are only examples. I am flexible and would consider U.S. brands such as NightForce and Vortex as long as it is not earth brown in color.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sounds like the perfect scope you are talking about is a Vortex HDII with EBR-2C reticle. Fits all your parameters

Personally, out of your 3 canidates, I would go with the Kahles. It's great glass, the SKMR reticle is excellent & I love the fact that with the ergonomics of that particular scope you can adjust windage and focus with the same hand.

(The "Rifle Scopes" sub forum would have been a better place to post this)

Last edited:
I have both S&B and Kahles but never used the Hensoldt. The ZF 4x16 may not be enough magnification range for the cost of the scope at least not for me. Both the PMll and 624i have great glass and I have used them both out past 2000 yards. To my eye the glass in the PMll is just a little better then the 624i. I see the most difference out past 1000 yards and how the PMll handles the mirage better. The reticules I use in the 624i is the AMR and in the PMll Tremor 2,3 and H59 as I like those style the best. Give Sport Optics or Eurooptics a call I have bought scope from both and they have been great to deal with and don't forget to get the Hide discount. Good luck with your search!!

I'm Kahles fan myself. Super clear, great ergos and perfect tracking.

SKMR1 and SKMR3 are my favorite reticles.