• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High Quality Kitchen Knives

CMH

🚒👂
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 17, 2010
    Billings, MT
    I currently have a major mismatch of kitchen knives ranging from a set of flexible serrated blades that I literally paid $4 for a set of 20 to old Chicago Cutlery to no name quasi-butter knives. I am thinking about a major upgrade and am looking for some input on where to start research. I always heard great stuff about Henkel and Wusthof, but it appears lately they gave been cheapening some of their lines for department stores.

So, what say you, Sniper's a Hide gastrointestinal geniuses? Who is the Hattori Hanzo of culinary cutlery?

I have Henkel knives. They have been very good. We have some cheap ceramic knives that are impressive, but I don't trust them in the long run. The Henkel knives take 5 seconds to sharpen. I think that speaks volumes to their quality.

I have Henkel knives. They have been very good. We have some cheap ceramic knives that are impressive, but I don't trust them in the long run. The Henkel knives take 5 seconds to sharpen. I think that speaks volumes to their quality.

And they hold the edge.

Got a set of cutco knives for Christmas. Awsome knives with a lifetime guarantee.

We got our Cutco's four years ago. I still do not have a complaint. I did about blow a gasket one time when a house guest started tossing them in the sink with other silver ware.

Last edited:
    Japanese knives will be sharper than European knives, they are usually steeper grind that will be sharper but loose an edge faster also they are more flexible depending on the knife.

European knives have a more shallow grind that will hold a great edge still be damn sharp, easier to sharpen usually a heavier knife.

Me, I use a set of Pro Henckels and I love those knives, and this is a great price...

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro 8-Piece Knife Block Set | Williams-Sonoma

I have had wustoff, heckles, Forsher, an italian knife company whose name i can't remember and shun premiers which are the knives i am using today. The shun's are the sharpest knife i have ever owned hands down. Its not even close. The pairing knife will cut you quicker than a blink. That said, they are somewhat thin and as such they don't do well to stress and bends. I dropped a medium thin blade set up knife on the tile blade down and the tip bent easily. I don't think my wustoff would have done that. But the Shun premier are beautiful and are sharp as shit and thats why they are in my drawer and the others are in the crawl space.

Japanese Knife Imports

I would have the above is I was making good money and could afford the stones to keep them sharp. I currently have all Victornox and they are a very good working blade and are all very sharp, but after a day of cutting threw a bunch of prime rib they definitely need a touch up on the stone and butcher steel.

While in between real careers I grew up cooking in New Orleans and went on to work in some nice places by accident. I also earned extra money working at Williams Sonoma concentrating on selling cookware and cutlery. The gay guys handled the linens and coffee makers :)

I presently have Henckels simply because that was the first good knife my mother bought me 20+ yrs ago, but in getting to play with most of the good ones, I feel that the Wusthoffs may be slightly better. As has been mentioned, the Shun knives are quite simply incredible.

As with guns, you need to decide what you're intended use/s is and where you want to spend your money (and how much you're willing to spend). The sets are nice, but in many cases you end up paying for a bunch of shit you don't need or won't use. You also need to evaluate your skill level with kitchen cutlery. The Henckels blade design, especially in their larger Chef's knives, is easier for beginners to use because the overall blade contour is straighter from the bolster/heel to the tip. This allows better control of the tip of the knife and feels "easier to use" for many people, especially in the bigger knives. Wusthoff uses a much deeper curvature in the blade from heel to tip which I now prefer, but can be harder to control when you're starting out. The blades also seem to be a bit thinner in the Wusthoffs, which I've also come to prefer over the Henckels. You'll notice the difference when cutting carrots or raw potatoes, where a thinner blade slices through and the thicker blade acts more as a wedge and splits the item.

I never bought a set, but rather selected individual knives as I had the use for them. One knife I can't speak highly enough of is the Santoku. It is an absolute work horse of a knife in the kitchen and I found myself reaching for it more than my 8" Chefs most of the time.

You're absolutely right about some of the companies producing lesser grades for the consumer market. A quick reference on the Henckels is to look at the logo of the stick man on their knives. Their pro-quality knives have 2 little men, the cheaper ones have only one. The cheaper models also typically won't have a bolster at the heel, whereas with Henckels their higher end knives do.

Weight and balance is the biggest thing in a knife you're going to use constantly, so I'd highly recommend finding an upscale shop where you can lay hands on them and feel the difference between full and partial tang designs, riveted versus molded handles, etc. Keep in mind that when properly gripping a Chef's knife, you're not holding the handle anyway, but gripping the heel of the blade between thumb and fore finger.

Again, figure out what you're going to use the knives for most of the time and figure out if there's a set that hits your need, or if you're better off selecting individual pieces. In some cases you may find that one company's Chef's knife is what you want, but the other company's pairing knife or boning knife fits your needs better.

It's been quite a few years since I made a living with my knives, and some companies, like Shun, have really introduced some beautiful products in those years that I've gotten to play with but not use professionally. The ceramics are garbage for anything other than a novelty. They can't be sharpened, and will break if dropped on a tile floor. ALL of my knives have hit a tile floor at least a dozen times. One of the chefs I worked with switched completely over to Global knives (from his Wusthoff) and swears by them. As I said, win major suck-ass points with your wife and ask if she'd like to go to the mall. Find the high-end kitchen store (not a department store) and get a feel for as many different knives as you can. Then, do NOT buy from said store, but go home and find a deal at any number of places online.

Once you've got them, the trick is keeping the wife from throwing them in a dishwasher while you're not looking. Good knives NEVER go in dishwashers, EVER. Except maybe for..........NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps as a super down and dirty knife 101 from a guy who hasn't messed with it in over a decade. If by some miracle I may be able to help you out, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I have now finally ffinished collecting a full set of shun classic knives. They are the last kitchen knife set I will ever buy and you can almost place money on that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention, if you decide that you need to jizz your apron every time you remove a knife from the block with the background noise of humming angels, take a look at the Shun Knives that were designed by Ken Onion. They were a limited release several years ago, this site has them on clearance. I list it only so you can see them since they're not on Shun's site anymore. The original MSRP isn't exaggerated the way sites often mark up a price to show a deeper discount. At one point, these knives were for sale in stores at those prices.

Shun Ken Onion Knives - Save Over 50% | cutleryandmore.com

I'm still figuring out knives but I just pulled the trigger on this ESEE kitchen knives set for around fifty bucks. I think they're well spoken of and my poof wife deserves something better than the Walmart stuff she has now.

If you want quality kitchen knives, first make sure you know how to sharpen them and a good place to store them.

I buy commercial grade knives at restaurant supply stores and just keep them sharp. 10" and 7" chef knives and a pile of $5 pairing knives.

LRI, if you want to get something nice for your wife, get a wet stone and surprise her with freshly sharpened knives every week.

+1 for Cutco. I have not tried many of the knives said above but I did get a large set of cutco about 5 years ago and they have never let me down yet.

Actually forget about Brands buy simple and cheap:

Dick (yeah for real thats the name) butcher knives are perfect and cheap (F.Dick Knives Made in Germany)

and general purpose knife

Home

All of them great steel great edge retention and for free compared to snobbish japanese chefs damascus handmade virgin blessed gizmos which cost 300$ a piece. They're butt ugly yes but who gives a fuck how they look they are tools not prom queens.

check out Koren Japanese knifes for Sushi and Hibachi grills I have three of different types very expensive very sharp. I also have two sets J. A. Henckels of Germany great warranty great knifes not as sharp as Koren Knifes also check out Fujimaru of Japan Damascus steel Nice and not that expensive. Tuesday Morning is a good place to look for a discount on knifes.
    I broke a steak knife of Henckels lifetime warranty they said send it back in they not only replaced it they sent a set of eight back. It is my go to gift for newly weds when we give gifts to them. I would go with Henckels you can buy a knife block set for what one of the Koren knifes cost.

A lot of good information here. I will only add that if you (or your wife/ girl friend/ boy friend/ "partner"/ etc...) think the proper way to wash a knife is in the dish washer, stick with what you have... And, stainless will look better but, generally speaking, carbon steel will cut better and hold a better edge.

Henckels has 'many' versions, from the 'cheap' to the 'high quality'. It is our belief, that the 4 Star is the best quality that Henckel makes. That is what we have a set of. Your mileage may vary.

And, as we have learned over the years, it is the 4 Star line that most professionals use. Those who've been in the service industry for a long time.

Most start out with cheaper/inexpensive'er brands and models... but work up to/aspire to, the 4 Star.

Saying that, there are a few other brands out there, that have some absolutely exquisite models,,,, but those need to actually be researched for longevity. As opposed to marketing/fashion-statments/fan-boy-drivel.

Remember also, "pretty" doesn't cut worth shit. QUALITY does. And quality comes from metallurgy, primary grind, secondary grind, blade design, handle design, handle composition, and maintainability.

Not just "shiny and swirly and pretty".

I bought my wife a set of Cutco knives 12 years ago. Not worth it. I do a lot of BBQing and my wife cooks a lot. The serrated steak knives are fine but the large blade won't hold an edge. Handles are durable but I don't think the steel is as good as some other top end knives. I currently have a large custom Bowie I use for my cooking knife and a 12" custom filet knife. Both hold an edge and work great for cutting meat and trimming fat for BBQing.
    If I was buying a set of knives now it would be Henckels or Wusthof.

Take a strong look at SHUN.

Knives & Cutlery | Knife Sets, Blocks, Cutlery & More | Sur La Table

Suisin

Wusthoff Classic Ikon

Global

Miyabi Artisan

I've had Wusthoff's and J.A. Henckels for years and DOn't care for them at all. Although I would consider the Ikon's as the design is much nicer to me.

Honestly, I use my Miracle Blade III 's all the time cuz they fit great and work well. Might sound stupid, but they just work for me and have a great fit.

Re: Henckels, I didn't see anyone mention specifically, but their garbage line is "Henckels International." The good ones are branded "Zwilling." I saw someone mention 4-Star, and they also make the Classic-S.

If I were to buy new, Shun or Global.

If you just want to find the most expensive kitchen knife available, check out Korin in New York. They also carry come very reasonably priced knives as well.

Korin - Fine Japanese Tableware and Chef Knives

Here's a $6,500 sushi sword, should you feel inclined to pick one up:
    Suisin Sakimaru Takobiki Mizu Honyaki | KORIN

In all seriousness, if you're looking looking for a multi-purpose food preparation (not table) knife, look at the Santoku series, and decide based on your price point. Keep in mind that Japanese blades are sharpened on only one side, so you'll need to spend some time learning how to sharpen them without destroying the blade:

Santoku | KORIN

Shun. Enough said.

There are several other good manufacturers of knives out there, but they are going to cost you a bit more. Some of the Henckles and Wustof knives are actually very good, you just have to be careful of some of the lower end lines as they are nothing like the higher end knives.

Japanese style blades are a dream in a home kitchen as they slice everything so effortlessly. They will require a bit more sharpening as they do not hold their edge as well as the German style blades.

Biggest issue most people have is that they do not sharpen their knives often enough and as has been said, NEVER EVER put them in the dishwasher. Hand clean and dry them after use and they will last a lifetime, worst case is you need a new handle fitted.

I also did a stint in the restaurant business, so let me preface the question this way: Do you want to know what do professionals use, or what are the best knifes (quasi mass produced) out there?

There's a big difference in the answers to those questions.

As to having a mis-matched set of knifes: good. That's what anyone who uses knives daily knows is normal. Every manufacturer has a handle style for their knives/collections. Those handles do not always match the blade length or width. A lot also has to do with how you hold the knife (fingers wrapped around the handle, pinched handle, or pinched blade, just ahead of the handle). The handle determines the fit, feel and to a large degree how much fatigue you'll feel after an hour so of chopping, carving, whatever.

I have/had just about every knife mentioned in this thread, and still cook daily and put out some complicated dishes. Having a good knife (knives actually; you should have three minimum: Chef, utility and paring) aids in getting the misen place done, and allows the chef to focus on the cooking process.

Here's my take (just my opinion from a guy with long thin hands).

Wustof/Henckel

Pros:

Available every where and well known for their steel
    Easy to sharpen (rarely needed) and hone on a steel easily (hence why they don't need to be sharpened often).
    Good solid handles
    Beveled edge (easy to sharpen)

Cons:
    They are mass produced and can vary in quality a lot, based on which "collection" you go with.
    Are largely sold in sets (kind of like buying a set of shell holders; you really end up just using the .308 and .223 shell holder most of the time). Sets of knives are a scam. Remember that. They look nice, but they are (largely) a waste of money.
    Beveled edge (don't cut as well as a non-beveled edge)

Shun

Pros:
    Non beveled edge (they slice like nobody's business)
    Ergonomic shape
    Their damascus steel is super sharp

Cons:
    Expensive
    Difficult to sharpen correctly due the the non-beveled edge and the sloping blade
    If not cleaned immediately afterwards, rust can form. Rust will ruin these knives as it gets between the layers of steel. You almost never see these in use in Restaurant kitchens because they have to be cared for so meticulously.

Victornox

Pros:

Very inexpensive
    Great steel
    You don't feel bad, breaking chine bones and such with a Chef's knife that costs under $50

Cons:

They'll never be on par with a $200 Chef's knife. Ever.
    Handle is a bit to generic/symmetrical

Global

Pros:

Bare none, probably the most used professional knives out there And I mean by professionals, not the short order hacks at most chain restaurants.
    Non-beveled blade (the first time you use one of these your reaction will probably be something "Holy shit, that fucker slices nice!").
    Durable, but flexible steel
    Completely stainless steel (including handle), easy to keep sanitary in a fast moving kitchen

Cons:

You do not want to chip one of these blades (which requires it be sent back to Japan to be reground)
    Can be very expensive
    While they do come in sets, they are often marketed ala cart, so you will pay more.

All the above is to say "it depends". You have to decide how much you want to spend on some knives. There are a plethora of options that will meet most people's needs without breaking the bank, but all come with downsides. Just remember, having better knives won't make you the next Mario Batalli or Emeril Lagasse, but it will make your cooking experience more enjoyable; you just need to decide on how much enjoyment you want to pay for.

My block has a montage of 6 knives. My chef knives (an 8" and a 6") and boning knife are Global (about $150-200 each). My utility knife is a 6" Henckel that just flat out fits my hand like a glove (despite it's paltry $40 price tag). My 3" paring knife is a Whustof. I have a 10" Victonox for hacking birds apart (great for decomposing a whole chicken quickly) as my go to "getting mid-evil on shit" knife.

My recommendation: try some different knives out (Sur La Table, will let you cut/chop potatoes right in the store to try them out) and figure out what you like. Don't worry about them matching, worry about the fit, feel, construction and quality.

Don't get me started on pots and pans...that's another topic in and of itself (for the Foodies out here, you should try the Demeyre Industry 5's. Incredible pans, and reasonable prices).

HTH...

ETA: Bogeybrown's post is spot on. Also, once you find a set of knives you like, invest in a cutlery case. You'll never want to use someone else's knives once you find a set that fits you, and you'll find yourself just wanting to pack yours along when you know you'll be cooking (which always happens when people find out you know how).

Last edited:
    LRI, if you want to get something nice for your wife, get a wet stone and surprise her with freshly sharpened knives every week.

I do sharpen her kitchen knives using one of these. It's extremely fast at putting an edge back on given how cheap her old knives are and how rough she is on them.

I have a few wet stones for my own use but am still figuring out how to get them really sharp. Don't get me wrong, I can get them fairly sharp but need to work on my technique.

BTW, the "Minosharp" sharpener is the best thing I have found next to a dedicated set of stones (i.e. high quality; $85 a stone, set of stones). The Mino was specifically designed for non-beveled edges (Global, Victornox and high end Whustof/Henckels). I have the dual stone one, and it works well, but they do sell the three stone version more commonly now. This sharpener acts like a true stone sharpener (but with guides), with the stones bathed in water to removed the metal for the stone's pores, allowing the stones to do their job more efficiently. When they say is just needs 7 passes on each stone, they are not joking. You can also use this sharpener to take a beveled edge knife down to a non-beveled edge. It so easy, even my wife can manage to sharpen her knives without me cringing...much (she doesn't touch my knives, it's verbotten). :)

The only down side to the Mino sharpener is the that tip (about 3/4" of the end) of the knife does not get sharpened...

Global® Handheld Minosharp 3 Knife Sharpener | Sur La Table

Looks like the closest thing you have is a Bed, Bath and Beyond there in Billings. Depending on the store size, they do carry most of the brands mentioned as open stock, or sets (as a minimum). Typically, only the larger stores carry the open stock/ala cart knives. I never had an occasion to hit up that store while in Billings, so am unsure as to what they carry as stock, but you can order through their website and pick it up at the store (makes it easier for returns if needed).

Last edited:
    Might want to try "America's Test Kitchen" for information. Generally they don't recommend the sets of knives. Usually suggest getting individual knives that you know you need.

Wusthof Classic series is a good compromise between quality, utility and style. I didn't get a set because they have knives I'd never use but my OCD won't let me mix-match brands. I pieced together what I needed but all out of that series, except for my shears. I have the solid stainless Wusthof Culinar series shears.

Sure there are fancier knives and I looked at them all. I still came back to the Wusthof Classis because the 8" Chefs/Cooks knife felt best in my hand. 8" chefs/cooks get's used daily, a 4" (maybe 3-1/2"?) paring and the shears get used almost daily. Those three are where I'd start my collection, which ever brand/series you choose.

Also, while you are looking at quality knives, make sure to get a quality cutting board. Don't use some Walmart corian cutting board.

Edit to add: Get a steel with your first knife too.

Last edited:
    After desparing that I would ever find a decent set of knives at a yard sale, I ran across a Cutco carving set (carving knife, bread knife and fork, in a nice box for 12 bucks. It was on a Saturday so it was half price day. 6 bucks. I haven't carved anything, but since my wife bakes our bread, I have been using the bread knife. wow.
    I'm happy with this set. I have some Henkles I picked up here and there, the ones with two figures. 8 inch, 10 inch, and some larger knives that almost never get used.
    Wash by hand, and always separately from the rest of the dishes.
    I never drop a sharp knife in the dishwater. I learned that on KP, actually. The Mess Steward told me to stack them neatly at the side of the sink, and he would wash them. I guess a grunt on KP clashed his hand to the bone reaching into the bottom of a sink full of dishes. I thought that was a good habit, so to this day, I wash all the knives at home myself, whether I am cooking or not.
    PS: I once bought a Ginsu many many years ago. Like 35 years ago. It is still sharp, it still cuts watermelon, pineapple, and other stuff and doesn't seem to mind how it is stored. Funny.

Henckels has 'many' versions, from the 'cheap' to the 'high quality'. It is our belief, that the 4 Star is the best quality that Henckel makes. That is what we have a set of. Your mileage may vary.

And, as we have learned over the years, it is the 4 Star line that most professionals use. Those who've been in the service industry for a long time.

Most start out with cheaper/inexpensive'er brands and models... but work up to/aspire to, the 4 Star.

Saying that, there are a few other brands out there, that have some absolutely exquisite models,,,, but those need to actually be researched for longevity. As opposed to marketing/fashion-statments/fan-boy-drivel.

Remember also, "pretty" doesn't cut worth shit. QUALITY does. And quality comes from metallurgy, primary grind, secondary grind, blade design, handle design, handle composition, and maintainability.

Not just "shiny and swirly and pretty".

This, make sure you find out where the Henckles come from as there are different levels of quality:

China - No. Fuck China.
    Spain - Acceptable, more affordable.
    Germany - These are the ones you want, and are the most expensive.

From a pure materials standpoint:

+1 on Henkels Pro S as a solid buy. I would put it in the category of Minimum investment quality/point of deminishing returns.

If you're not a southpaw, Shun is worth looking at with a step up with VG10 or SG2 steel.

Kikiuchi would be good for a specialist blade: extremely fine slicer, for example.

Then custom makers start entering the picture...

Carter Cultery is solid.

Kramer is also solid.

There is also the exotics segment with...

Kyocera Kyotop Ceramic blades and what not.

As others mentioned: fit/ergonomics is paramount. So it's good to try various blades so find something that works the way you work.

That being said, Kramer clones (tool steel or stainless, depending how well one will care for it) are on my short list of blades to look at.

Start with a minimum of 8" or 10" Chef's and a 6" slicer/utility/chef that work for you, then grow the collection as you see fit. Out of all the kitchen knives I've amassed over the years, those are the two blades I go for 90% of the time. The rest of the time is split between a serrated bread knife and maybe a paring knife.

I'm a former chef and have used many different knives for thousands of hours through thousands of pounds of meat, fish, and veg.... from primals to decorative carving.

The basic kit I would recommend is below: Unless you are breaking down a mammal, There's NO task one can't complete with these. Seriously - NONE. One can even peel lightning quick with practice. One can even use a chef's knife as a paring knife by holding it by the blade.

1 chef knife - styles/lengths discussed later
    1 3" or 4" paring knife
    1 long 12" serrated/aka bread knife.

1 steel to be used frequently
    1 local knife sharpener or stone or appropriate electric sharpener(more later)

Then add as you want:

1 thin flexible filet knife for fish - 7" for small fish at least 9" for larger fish.
    1 proper heavy cleaver if butchering in quantity.
    any specialty shapes if you have money to play.

Quality Chef's knives - ( Just some established popular brands as examples I've been out for 10 years so there may be new brands)

Three basic categories (there are more - this is simplified)

Classic shape/modern steel German - full tang Wusthof, ZJA Henckel,
    Modern Japanese steel (excluding sushi) Shun, Global (narrower angle than german)
    Ceramics

Shape - Somewhat of a preference, but my opinion:

More straight vs more curved.... I prefer a slight curve or rocker to aid in cutting large quantity of veg. More curve will also ease/allow use of more of the center of blade as opposed to being inclined to use the tip when doing thinks such as butterflying.

Length preference:
    8" or 10" is most commonly preferred, the more quantity or repetative cutting is often made easier with a longer blade. For home use a 8" should be fine.

I prefer a longer blade - a 10' or 12" german style or 11" japanese.

My most used personal knife was a 11" Global ($170 ish), most used company knife was 10" forschner fibrox ($30 ish and an excellent value)

Santoku style hollow edge (kind of a serrated/chef hybrid - less sticking to food) or solid edge is an alternative to classic chef's knives.

Chef knife ergonomics and shape are a somewhat of a personal preference and you may not be able to tell without extended use.

paring knives - 3" or 4"

again shape - german or curved jap is a personal preference.

Bread/Serrated knives:

If only getting one get 12", SHORT SERRATED KNIVES ARE FUCKING USELESS

These are very versatile, can be used for carving turkey/beef roasts as well as cutting cakes into layers and of course bread.

Again Forschner Fibrox is an excellent value.

Honing Steel "Sharpening" Steel

NOT actually used to sharpen, the edge of any blade (excluding ceramic) rolls over with use and the steel is used on a regular basis to straighten the edge between sharping.

More important than proper sharpening, because if done regularly and correctly, sharpening is needed much less frequently.

Diamond steels will do a sharpening "touch up" as well as hone / align the edge.

Google it for techniques.

Actual sharping:

Use a local knife sharpener, they do it right and keep the heel of the knife flat to blade.

for a home cook this could be as infrequent as yearly.

..... Or a stone and oil if you are talented and can hold the angle correctly.

If you want to go the electric sharpener route, the spinning wheel 2 stage design is the only one to consider for german knives. I believe the preferred consumer brand name is chef's choice. Every time you sharpen with this you lose some of your knife and if you do it too much, you will get a high heel, leaving a gap between blade and board.

Electrics are designed for the angle of classic germans , If your knife of choice has a non-standard edge angle (such as Global) it will change it.

Utility knives (usually 6")

a substitute for a short/pointed boning knife.

Otherwise pretty much useless except for giving to waitress or home guests cutting lemons to keep them away from your expensive chef's knives.

Filet Knives - Thin and flexible blade

Worth getting if doing a lot of fish if you learn how to use the flex of the thin blade to minimize loss between bones and flesh. Also sometimes helpful in removing a boneless roast from the rib cage of mammals before or after cooking such as lamb, 109E's, or whole pork loins. The bigger the fish usually the longer the blade. Get a long 9" or " if only one, but get a short and long if budget allows.

Salmon, btw, is easier with a long chef's knife.

deboning knife - usually 7" +/-

Sharp point like a filet, but less flex than a filet knife. A paring knife and a chef's can be used in combo if you don't have one. Handy but not necessary.

Last edited:
    Oh, and I'll add I don't think I've ever heard of cutco, just a quick google and they look WAAAYYYYY overpriced for what they are.

If I have heard of them, I forgot about them because they aren't worth thinking about.

And it's interesting to see that MarinePMI liked using utility knives, shows preference is just as important as minimum level of quality.

Last edited:
    BTW, The forschner fibrox is the Victornox blades being sold these days. There's talk that the chef's knife will be discontinued soon, and only sold commercially (I guess the word got out on how versatile and inexpensive they are). Rumor has it this is the last year they will be available, then they will be made of lesser quality and a different handle from then on...

Good point on having the steel and how/when to use one...

While the Shun knives are beautiful, they are quite overpriced. I would avoid them, and the Cutco knives as well.

I also agree that ala cart purchase is the way to go.

I think the two best values in kitchen knives are the Forschner Fibrox, and the Torjiro DP line.

The Torjiro DP will cut just as well if not better than the Shun.

Tojiro 3pc Set

Re: Henckels, I didn't see anyone mention specifically, but their garbage line is "Henckels International." The good ones are branded "Zwilling." I saw someone mention 4-Star, and they also make the Classic-S.

If I were to buy new, Shun or Global.

Knife snob! Lol! I have Chris Reeve for prep knives and Wustoff steak knives. Happy with both. And yes, no dishwasher!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention, if you decide that you need to jizz your apron every time you remove a knife from the block with the background noise of humming angels, take a look at the Shun Knives that were designed by Ken Onion. They were a limited release several years ago, this site has them on clearance. I list it only so you can see them since they're not on Shun's site anymore. The original MSRP isn't exaggerated the way sites often mark up a price to show a deeper discount. At one point, these knives were for sale in stores at those prices.

Shun Ken Onion Knives - Save Over 50% | cutleryandmore.com

Shun knives are amazing.

I am terribly disappointed to know that Henkel is now made in China.
    I hope that those are just the lower line of knives.
    I have 4 star, and I love them, but you still have a way to go to beat Old Hickory.....

[MENTION=45892]CMH[/MENTION],

So how'd things turn out? (I had a friend ask this same question, so it caused me to bump this thread).