• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High Quality Kitchen Knives

Dunno 'bout no Hattori Hanzo but the closest to Masamune-san living today is Keijiro Doi. He made his knives (principally sushi knives) in the same manner as second-generation samurai swords, a low-carbon spine welded in a hammer forge to a high-carbon edge.

Unfortunately, Keijiro-san retired in 2011 at the age of 86. Fortunately, his son Itsuo is following in his father's footsteps, and should be as equally skilled as Papa-san.

In another 20 years.

In the meanwhile, Keijiro-san ramped up production in preparation for his retirement and there still are some of his originals available, but be prepared to part with at least 350 skins for one. Most are >$500. If that's too dear, Sakai Takayuki is a respectable fall-back.

Alright you snobs, My wife bought me three tojiro shippu black knives for my birthday. I happened to be drooling over the layered steel. Are they good knives?

Global, you ponces.

Heard of Keijiro Doi, saw one in Tampa (At a sword show) looked the shit.

Fred may be right, but if made of Unobtainium, so what?

They are good knives. Probably high carbon knives so dry them after use and put a food safe oil on them every once and while or before long storage periods.

In terms of what too look for in knives the length of your chefs knife should feel natural in your hand and not make you feel worried. I find that I end up using either my chefs knife or pairing knife the most out of anything. I recently threw out my bread knife in favor of my chefs knife. Honing on a rod will increase the life of your edge but you will still need to sharpen the knife. You can either acquire the skill yourself or pay someone to do it.

Top knife is my wife's 8in Shun Ken Onion Kaji Pro with SG2 and the bottom is my Asai 9.5in (I think) with SG2.

Attachments

• 20140821_225951.jpg
    20140821_225951.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 14