• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing highest grade walnut stocks

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
not sure where to ask this so i will try gunsmithing first dont know much about wood to make stocks out of but i want to know what is the absolute highest grade walnut that a rifle stock can be made from if price is no object
turkish maybe?

Re: highest grade walnut stocks

i will be making it myself just need a good source for the wood itself

Google "circassian walnut gunstock blanks" and you will get a bunch of hits on various vendors of walnut gunstock blanks. There are numerous species of walnut, but mostly you see English/French, Bastogne (French/Claro hybrid), American Black Walnut and Claro. Circassian/Turkish is one of the finest of the "exotic" walnuts. English and French are dense small-pored woods that are fairly hard, but produce a warm color and take checkering well. Bastogne is usually heavier than English and tends to be darker. American Black Walnut and Claro are larger pored and easier to work than their denser cousins.

Anything graded as "Exhibition" will have the most figure.

Paul and Sharon Dressel have been making stocks for about 30 years and they deal in blanks: http://www.dressels.com/ Might want to pick their brains.

I have a Special select grade piece of Turkish that's quite nice. I've had it forever and doubt I'll ever get around to using it for what I'd originally intended (a mini palma to match my big palma).

PM or call if your interested.

Chad

Wenig would be who I'd ask.

Wenig sells great walnut stock blanks. Bought an English walnut fancy grade stock blank from them. VERY nice wood. Lots of figure

+1 on Luxus

My business partner had a stock of one of his rifles copied from plain birch into a high grade wood he obtained from Luxus. Absolutely wonderful piece. He then had it locally finished as he wanted it done. The copy job is extremely reasonable with regard to cost if you just want to duplicate the shape of a stock you already own.

You can contact Cecil Fredi out of Las Vegas, Nv. You tell him what you are looking for and the price range and he will email you some pics of what he has. His site says he has around 30,000 blanks in different stages of drying. Some of our students who have been there say he has at least that many.

Something else I just thought of. If your doing a tactical stock or something along those lines you may need a blank in larger sizes than normal. Just something to think about.

so i decided to start off i am going to do some grips on my beretta and see how they turn out before i spend a ton of money on a rifle stock

If you are looking for a specific piece of wood for a rifle you need to check out the Man, metalandwood.com. Steve Heilman is the guru for any stock blank meant to make fine fine custom stocks!

Did you get a price from them on what their rifle blanks are priced at? Thanks.

You mean you want something like this? Yes this one sits in my gunsafe as we speak.

Umbergercroppedsm.jpg

Umbergerstockmed.jpg

IMG_0463med.jpg

jeffvn - gorgeous wood.

Do you ever get it out of the safe? I'd be sick as a pig if I knocked a lump out of that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: an1913t</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you get a price from them on what their rifle blanks are priced at? Thanks.</div></div>

an1913t - I'd guess it is not that easy. Normally the blanks are priced individually by grade. And the choice of grain is purley personal.

You'd be better to check them out yourself so that you're getting a price on exactly what you want/like otherwise you're only ever going to get a ballpark figure.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean you want something like this? Yes this one sits in my gunsafe as we speak.

Umbergercroppedsm.jpg

Umbergerstockmed.jpg

IMG_0463med.jpg
</div></div>

yes just like that with lots of dark grain
and no i have not recieved a price from them it took 2 weeks for them to get back with me
so right now i am waiting on pics and prices

1shot,
Give Adam a call at Luxus. Dont go by the prices on his website, if you talk to him and tell him what you need he will find the perfect blank at an incredible price.

John

so turkishwalnut.net finally emailed me back and gave me a price of 35.00 for a piece of exibition grade turkish walnut the size is 3/4"x3.5"x5" does this seem about right for a price?

1S2K,

From your question it sounds as though you may be just starting into high grade wood. In the SxS shotgun community you will find many references to Cecil Fredi and that group is as passionate about wood as this board is about reliability/accuracy. Two good sites to search are doublegunshop.com and shootingsportsman.com. If in fact you are already knowledgeable go no further.

Different varieties of walnut have diffrent characteristics in terms of density, weight , workability, etc. The same varieties will have different coloration and density imposed by soil mineral content and climatic conditions. The wood may be slab sawn or quarter sawn. It is correct that wood described as exhibition will usually be the best a vendor has but what qualifies as best is subjective. Evaluating a piece of wood entails subjective assessments to a degree but certain things must be present. The layout of the wood should be such that the grain through the hand is straight while the figure in the buttstock is idealy 100% coverage with each side, as close as possible, a reflection of the other. How the wood is dried is also critical as this is a determining factor in the wood's long term stability. When you say price is not a factor, know that there are blanks out there that will cost you as much as a new AIAW. Take a look at Jefvn's pictures and you will see a good example of proper layout and good side to side equivalancy in figure. Also, as the shavings start coming off the blank, major flaws can appear.

Unfortunatly I have not answered your question. Have fun looking and learning.

Quater Horse thanks for the nod on my stock. I can tell you that I looked at a TON of stocks before I selected that particular blank. And I was in fact looking at the factors that you named. The one good side to getting good grain symetry, is that you get a balanced stock, which looks great from either side. I hated seeing at a blank that was gorgeous from side one only to flip it over and see nothing but average or worse staring back at me.

Jeffvn

08-11-10w22828.jpg

http://www.gilmerwood.com/

I've bought a ton of wood from them, well maybe not quite a ton. There's no reason to stick to walnut. A very good wood in terms of hardness that you might like for a stock is Bubinga. Really good bubinga is much rarer than good exhibition grade walnut or maple.

01-11-10w20978.jpg

Another one that is comparable to mahogany is sapele
http://www.gilmerwood.com/boards_sapele_unique.htm

How about redwood?
06-30-10iw22505.jpg

Your welcome Jeff. To my eye you got it just right on a rifle, bold figure but not busy. Still just a matter of opinion. Who did the work? Checkering with ribbons makes the job a lot more difficult.

1Shot, $35.00 sounds reasonable to me. If you're going to do the work on the rifle yourself, look carefully into types of finish. If you have an existing stock, you can make modifications to it with body putty to arrive at what you want as the pattern for duplication. Checkering is another story and best left to pros. There are a couple of gals here in Or. that are former Kimber employees. They have a reputation of good work, fast turnaround and reasonable prices.

Umberger Stocks in Ohio.

http://www.stocksbyumberger.com/

They are the exclusive manufacturer of Merkle Shotgun stocks in the US. His facility is amazing. He took nearly 2 hours to fit me for the stock, and then we picked out the various items of checkering, and engraving, etc.

JeffVN

I will be happy to show you some of the best walnut blanks at the net and give a 25 % discount , just use coupon code : 556892112025
Also if you like us , please subscribe for emails and promotions and also to be informed about our new stock .
Thank you
Roman Romanov
Products | RIFLE&GUN STOCKS