• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Hinderer Knives

phxfa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 9, 2010
    Arizona
    Interested in some feedback on Rick Hinderer knives,,,specifically the XM-18 3.5 Spanto version
    I have a ZT 0562CF which is a Hinderer design already.

They are solid knives, the build quality today on the Gen 6 is superior to ZT, that hasn't always been the case, there were some issues with previous generations, but I had a few good ones. I have had several over the years but I am down to one Gen6 skinny sheepsfoot.

This was a no choil spanto that I had reground to cut. the spanto is a good blade if you want to dig in the dirt and pry, but it doesn't cut very well.
    20200204_180402.jpg

This Skinny SF, on the other hand, cuts like a lightsaber.
    20200107_230456.jpg

Reactions: Sixfivesavage
    Thanks for the input, I’m going to rethink my blade selection. Skinny slicer might be a better fit

Reactions: BigTex
    Spanto is junk for normal work in my opinion. I had a gen 6 spanto and moved it down the road and kept my old skinner. Not even sure which generation it is. My biggest gripe with the gen 6 knives is the steel insert in the lock bar. I understand why they do it but it seems to me they could have used a different material and accomplished the same thing without the stickiness that the stele insert brings. I also don't like the bearings and at the time I got mine, they didn't ship with the bronze washers as well. I also have a 3" spear point. I like that a lot as well but usually only carry it in shorts during the warm months and nicer clothes if im out and not working. I'm sure it would be fine, I'm just used to the 3.5" more. I do plan to get a sheepsfoot as soon as they reappear, maybe even a skinny variety. The regular 3.5" is a work horse but not exactly the best pure cutter because of the thickness. The ZTs that I've had were very nice, probably close enough to Hinderer that the price difference wasn't worth the jump. The deal breaker for me is the deep pocket carry clips that ZT used in them. I fucking hate those things. I want the knife where I can grab it, not down below the top of my pocket.

They are solid knives, the build quality today on the Gen 6 is superior to ZT, that hasn't always been the case, there were some issues with previous generations, but I had a few good ones. I have had several over the years but I am down to one Gen6 skinny sheepsfoot.

This was a no choil spanto that I had reground to cut. the spanto is a good blade if you want to dig in the dirt and pry, but it doesn't cut very well.
    View attachment 7357345

This Skinny SF, on the other hand, cuts like a lightsaber.
    View attachment 7357346
    How you like the SF? Can you post some more pics of it next to a regular 3.5" to show the thickness of the blade stock? Do you ever feel lacking with the thinner blade?

I don't have pictures, this my last Hinderer. This one is definitely thinner, especially behind the edge due to the hollow grind. I do not feel like anything is missing with the skinny blade, it is about the same thickness as a CRK Sebenza blade. The Gen6 Skinny is what Hinderer always should've been. I'm not a huge fan of the steel lock bar insert, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

I agree about ZT clips, they are junk, blades seem to be inconsistently heat treated as well.

Last edited:
    I friggin' hate flipper knives, BUT I like the build quality and how solid my Hinderer feels. I have a few of the nicer boutique semi production brands, and the XM is as good or better than the others. Mostly better - only reason I keep it being a flipper.

LMAO breathalyzer on an iPad.

I friggin' hate flipper knives, BUT I like the build quality and how solid my Hinderer feels. I have a few of the nicer boutique semi production brands, and the XM is as good or better than the others. Mostly better - only reason I keep it being a flipper.

LMAO breathalyzer on an iPad.
    Theres some non flipper models out there.

Thanks - I was unaware of that. At the time of my purchase several years ago I was just glad to get one as the demand was so high.

I'll go check out the site. Probably end up with a new side scale at least...

DLT Trading is one of the largest stocking dealers I’ve found. No skinny sheepsfoot blades in stock

DLT Trading is one of the largest stocking dealers I’ve found. No skinny sheepsfoot blades in stock
    You have to keep an eye out, they'll drop a batch eventually. They run blade stocks in batches i believe so they come out profile by profile and thickness by thickness. Not a handfull of each or anything like that. I believe the sheepsfoot was in high demand so they didn't stick around long. I'm waiting on them to reappear as well as a few other people I know of.