• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors HK 45 Owners

Re: HK 45 Owners

I've got 2 HK .40's, love 'em. Still like my 1911 better but it's not polymer so it doesn't really compare.

i almost bought a hk but glad i choose a glock hk mags are way way over priced say 50plus for hk vs 22 for glock

I put 10K+ through a .45 Tactical in a 3 year period of time, was accurate and reliable until something broke inside that turned it into a DAO. Took 4.5 months to get HK to fix it. Great guns, crappy customer service. I have Sig's now, as well as 1911's.
The little woman had a P30, felt good in the hand, didn't group well, sold it for a S&W M&P 9 Pro, she loves it, and as accurate as anything.
My brother has a USP 40 since 2001, and has untold ammounts of handloads through it, and is everythig one would ever want and then some. JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Olin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A brick. Sold it. </div></div>

Can you elaborate on why?

The HK 45 is very nice, but I don't like the notch they cut in the bottom of the triggergard it hurts my trigger finger during recoil. I bought the HK 45c because it was more compact and you can still use the 10 rd mags in the 45c, the 45c doesn't have the notch cut out in it like the HK 45. Both the 45 and 45c are much less bricky than the USP line. With both the 45 and 45c I could put them in under an inch at 25 yards very easy.
smile.gif
After I purchased the HK 45c then I sold my $3000+ NightHawk Predator 1911 because the 45c shot as good.

Yes. I came to the HK45 (not a USP or other variant) from 1911 primarily. The HK45 is a big gun and I was expecting to be able to carry concealed with the gun. However, its dimensions, for me, did not allow me to do that with even close to the comfort (or lack of discomfort) the 1911 platform does. But I should of known that beforehand and its a trade for its higher capacity.

For sheer shooting without the carry aspects, I thought the gun was just o.k. The trigger guard has a bump on the bottom of the inside portion of the guard that for some users will cause them to 'drag wood' when depressing the trigger. It did for me big time and I couldn't train around it. I found there are machinists who hold out at modifying this but I did not pursue it.

The system of magazine ejection was also unique but for me too unfamiliar.

Finally, the safety on the gun is also a decocker. Under even moderate stress, I would inevitably decock the gun and find myself shooting round 1 double action. Not a huge deal but enough. I believe that is user modifiable but again, I did not pursue it.

All in all, I think the gun can work well for some people. The ergonomics of the frame and grip were particularly good and 'glove-like.'

For myself, I just decided that I would stick to one general platform of handgun and not have a bunch of different systems that I would have to be aware of and operate differently. Thats it and of course, YMMV.

Maybe you can take one out to a range and try it before deciding. And good luck with your decision.

youre never gonna get a fair and balanced review of HKs anywhere. people love them or hate them, kind of like glocks, the HKs redhead stepbrother
grin.gif

my 2¢ is that i REALLY wish i could afford a 45c, but cant part with my USP to free up the money to trade up.

Understandable, I have inquired about the Mark 23 in the past and its size and price tag scared me away. I did own a USP a few years ago but didn't fall in love with its ergonomics. The HK 45 looks like an improvement in that area so I figured it was worth a shot to get some feedback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB DEE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a 1911 </div></div>

Why didn't I think of that
crazy.gif

Solid performer, but nothing to write home about. Do a google search for Greg Bell and his break my HK45 threads. I noticed you are in Albany, NY; are you even allowed to own hi-cap handguns there?

I had a .40 HK USP Compact. Great pistol and it shot great but it had an annoying rattle that came from a recoil block. If you rolled it over in your hand it sounded like a marble rolling around. Called HK and they said it was normal...sold it as a result.

This may not be an issue on the full sized models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarbonCycles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Solid performer, but nothing to write home about. Do a google search for Greg Bell and his break my HK45 threads. I noticed you are in Albany, NY; are you even allowed to own hi-cap handguns there? </div></div>

HK45 only comes in 10 rounders...so far

unless your leo or in a state that allows hi cap mags i have seen them in 12 or 13 rnds

from my experience at the academy the truest test of any weapon is how many rounds you can put thru it before the weapon starts to fail in one way or another this also includes many factors of dirt rain sand ect. I personally witnessed para's fail with no more than 200 rnds thru them.

I had 13 round mags for mine. dont buy a 1911 if you dont practice a lot. glock is a dummy gun HK is close to a dummy gun 1911s take a lot of time to make second nature. in a life and death fight shooting paper and shooting a person under stress with tunnel vision and remembering to take the safety off is a big deal. but if your advanced 1911 is great but I still sleep with the glock just pick it up point and shoot...

HK is novelty; mainly collector's items. The functionality of their 1 piece safety/decocker is completely flawed. Don't ever carry one cocked and locked, regardless of HK's claims that you can. However, you can carry a Mark 23 cocked and locked if you don't mind lugging that beast around. I don't know if I will ever shoot mine again, and it just sits tight in the safe.

Not to say they don't shoot well. I have a USP tactical that used to be my favorite pistol to shoot, until I got my Wilson CQB. Now the best shooting HK I own is a P7M8; the thing is incredible, but gets very hot bc it is gas operated. You need to wear gloves if you plan on shooting 2 mags back to back.

I was actually thinking of buying the HK compact. Does anyone else share the above thoughts on the HK 45? Also could you go into more detail about "The functionality of their 1 piece safety/decocker is completely flawed.". Thank you

their safety/decocker work fine. the compact isnt really that compact its really close to the size of a full size glock, a little smaller. it handles very well and you shouldn't carry it cocked and locked. I have said it many times to people on the Hide. when I first started training we would go through stress tests, there would be a girl and a guy talking then when you we relaxed even though I knew it was coming they would draw down and I cant tell you how many times I would grab my gun and forget to unsnap my holster or cant it. And had it been real I would have been shot. I was working but not involved during two shootings. one guy drew his gun shot the ground then his door then his hood then the ground then the ground then the guy 2 times. another drew shot right behind his foot then right in front of his foot then the guy in the shoulder spun him and shot him again in the back. these guys practiced a lot a lot and this happened. while I love the 1911 and have practiced and still practice I would take a dummy gun. I dont want to have to worry about taking the safety off in a gunfight...

The HK45 is a great gun, as with all HK's, the DA trigger leaves alot to be desired. But if you feel like spending the money to get a good trigger job then its well worth it and similar to a good Sig trigger. The HK45C I dont really care as much for, I have both the 45 and 45C, and the 45C just doesnt feel or shoot as good as the fullsize, it could be all me so go shoot one before you purchase (as with any gun).

As far as what to carry, if you make the decision to carry, then you should be committed to training vigorously with your weapon to become proficient enough to where drawing, firing etc is muscle memory. Whether you carry a Glock or an HK or and XD etc, put enough rounds down range and train all the time. Like the saying goes, you fight like you train.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was actually thinking of buying the HK compact. Does anyone else share the above thoughts on the HK 45? Also could you go into more detail about "The functionality of their 1 piece safety/decocker is completely flawed.". Thank you </div></div>

Yeah, I would like to know why it's "flawed" as well.

Like I say, I own the the USP45 Tactical and there is no way you could accidentally decock the pistol by putting the weapon on safe. It's not a hair trigger safety/decocker, you have to really mean it if you want to decock it. It's not extremely hard, but even without looking at the pistol, you can tell when it's "safe" and that you have to exert some force to decock it.... I have NEVER accidentally decocked this gun putting on the safety.

I'm satisfied with the 45c my wife has. Out of all the guns we tried, she went with this one. I've probably only put 100-200 rounds through it but have no issues with accuracy or functionality. Safety/decocker seems sufficiently functional.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm satisfied with the 45c my wife has. Out of all the guns we tried, she went with this one. I've probably only put 100-200 rounds through it but have no issues with accuracy or functionality. Safety/decocker seems sufficiently functional.</div></div> Just satisfied? With that asking price I would hope those that owned them would be very happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just satisfied? With that asking price I would hope those that owned them would be very happy. </div></div>

smile.gif

Satisfy
[sat-is-fahy] -fied,

–verb (used with object)
1. to fulfill the desires, expectations, needs, or demands of (a person, the mind, etc.); give full contentment to: The hearty meal satisfied him.
2. to put an end to (a desire, want, need, etc.) by sufficient or ample provision: The hearty meal satisfied his hunger.
3. to give assurance to; convince: to satisfy oneself by investigation.
4. to answer sufficiently, as an objection.
5. to solve or dispel, as a doubt.

Sounds ok to me, I am satisfied with mine as well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nailz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just satisfied? With that asking price I would hope those that owned them would be very happy. </div></div>

smile.gif

Satisfy
[sat-is-fahy] -fied,

–verb (used with object)
1. to fulfill the desires, expectations, needs, or demands of (a person, the mind, etc.); give full contentment to: The hearty meal satisfied him.
2. to put an end to (a desire, want, need, etc.) by sufficient or ample provision: The hearty meal satisfied his hunger.
3. to give assurance to; convince: to satisfy oneself by investigation.
4. to answer sufficiently, as an objection.
5. to solve or dispel, as a doubt.

Sounds ok to me, I am satisfied with mine as well.... </div></div>Thanks for the completely unnecessarily definition of the word "satisfied". I'm happy that you are "content" with it. But like I said for that price I was hoping someone would be ecstatic.

I actually used the word LOVE in my initial post on the thread, hopefully that's in the realm of ecstatic/satisfied/content enough. The OP actually asked if people were satisfied with it as well.

The definition post was more of a joke than anything else, hence the smiley.....
smile.gif

Love my USPc's but you will not find a P30 or HK45 in my possession.

My USP 45 was the first pistol I bought the day I turned 21.

32 next week and it has served me fine. I finally stop counting the rounds down range but the last count was 15K. I called up HK to get everything overhauled and they said call back in another 10 to 12K.

Vu

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was actually thinking of buying the HK compact. Does anyone else share the above thoughts on the HK 45? Also could you go into more detail about "The functionality of their 1 piece safety/decocker is completely flawed.". Thank you</div></div>

The functionality is flawed for this reason: The safety and the decocker on utilizing the same lever. If you are carrying the pistol cocked and locked (safety on, lever up), when you draw the gun to fire, you have to push the lever down to take the safety off, just like a 1911. However, there is a probability of decocking the hammer during this process, since the stroke down can easily surpass the neutral fire position with a marginal amount of force. During a high stress situation, the chance of accidentally decocking the hammer after drawing is very high. This doesn't happen with a 1911 because the stroke down serves only one purpose; to disable the safety. So no matter how great the force used, it will only take the safety off. Like I said above, the Mark 23 does not have this problem, because the decocker and safety are on 2 separate mechanisms.

I like USP 45. it is fine for a polymer framed weapon, i always compare pistols to the 1911, and the usp is not as accurate and comfortable to use as a modern 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nailz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was actually thinking of buying the HK compact. Does anyone else share the above thoughts on the HK 45? Also could you go into more detail about "The functionality of their 1 piece safety/decocker is completely flawed.". Thank you </div></div>

Yeah, I would like to know why it's "flawed" as well.

Like I say, I own the the USP45 Tactical and <span style="font-weight: bold">there is no way you could accidentally decock the pistol by putting the weapon on safe</span>.</div></div>

Yes, there is no way you could decock the pistol by engaging the safety, since up is on and down is to decock. There is a high probability of accidentally decocking the pistol by <span style="text-decoration: underline">disengaging</span> the safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nailz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a hair trigger safety/decocker, you have to really mean it if you want to decock it. It's not extremely hard, but even without looking at the pistol, you can tell when it's "safe" and that you have to exert some force to decock it.... <span style="font-weight: bold">I have NEVER accidentally decocked this gun putting on the safety</span>.</div></div>

I never accidentally decocked the gun by engaging the safety either.

I would have to disagree with you Palmik...I studied this aspect severely when i bought my USP 5 yrs ago....sent many down the tube and worked both mechanisms relentlessly and this aspect you speak of , i find, is highly improbable being that there is so much travel inbetween the fire position and the movement down it takes to decock the hammer. there is maybe a .25 inch of movement to remove the safety and more than .5 inch of travel after that to decock.

Just my .000002 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was actually thinking of buying the HK compact. Does anyone else share the above thoughts on the HK 45? Also could you go into more detail about "The functionality of their 1 piece safety/decocker is completely flawed.". Thank you</div></div>

The functionality is flawed for this reason: The safety and the decocker on utilizing the same lever. If you are carrying the pistol cocked and locked (safety on, lever up), when you draw the gun to fire, you have to push the lever down to take the safety off, just like a 1911. However, there is a probability of decocking the hammer during this process, since the stroke down can easily surpass the neutral fire position with a marginal amount of force. During a high stress situation, the chance of accidentally decocking the hammer after drawing is very high. This doesn't happen with a 1911 because the stroke down serves only one purpose; to disable the safety. So no matter how great the force used, it will only take the safety off. Like I said above, the Mark 23 does not have this problem, because the decocker and safety are on 2 separate mechanisms. </div></div>

Dont carry it cocked and locked, hammer down, you pick if it needs to be on safe or not. Problem solved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AngelusMortis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was actually thinking of buying the HK compact. Does anyone else share the above thoughts on the HK 45? Also could you go into more detail about "The functionality of their 1 piece safety/decocker is completely flawed.". Thank you</div></div>

The functionality is flawed for this reason: The safety and the decocker on utilizing the same lever. If you are carrying the pistol cocked and locked (safety on, lever up), when you draw the gun to fire, you have to push the lever down to take the safety off, just like a 1911. However, there is a probability of decocking the hammer during this process, since the stroke down can easily surpass the neutral fire position with a marginal amount of force. During a high stress situation, the chance of accidentally decocking the hammer after drawing is very high. This doesn't happen with a 1911 because the stroke down serves only one purpose; to disable the safety. So no matter how great the force used, it will only take the safety off. Like I said above, the Mark 23 does not have this problem, because the decocker and safety are on 2 separate mechanisms. </div></div>

Dont carry it cocked and locked, hammer down, you pick if it needs to be on safe or not. Problem solved.</div></div>

If you are comfy with firing the first shot DA, then suit yourself. I'd much rather have a single action pull each time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have to disagree with you Palmik...I studied this aspect severely when i bought my USP 5 yrs ago....sent many down the tube and worked both mechanisms relentlessly and this aspect you speak of , i find, is highly improbable being that there is so much travel inbetween the fire position and the movement down it takes to decock the hammer. there is maybe a .25 inch of movement to remove the safety and more than .5 inch of travel after that to decock.

Just my .000002 cents

</div></div>

Mathematically it may be feasible. But can you rely on this mechanism if a lunatic was charging you with a machete? I'm sure many guys out there would end up with a missed DA shot.

I have owned many USPs for over 10 years, and I had a great time shooting them. But if I am going to carry, I'd trust my Glock 19 over HK any day.

I think you're blowing this decocker thing out of proportion. IF you accidentally decock, just keep pulling the trigger farther back. Your adrenalin is going to be pumping so hard you won't even notice.

i carry mine hammer down safety on just for that reason...i am confident enough if i have to pull it, it will be center mass. I have trained enough with it to know how to manipulate the weapon in one of those scenarios. But as it is....we all have our different preferences in carry weapons

DH,

A bit of advice on taking advice (?) Anyway, before spending money or moreover, betting your life on advice from a forum, read the profiles of the dudes you think give you good advice. If you are looking for a post to show your wife to support a purchase, well then stop reading now.

I had an HK 45 and found it to almost everything I wanted which was a big gun to carry in an open carry / tactical rig with a light laser combination on it, very accurate, Ranger Proof and durable. I bought it at a Cabela's "Gun Show" in Kansas City for $650, Coyote Tan with box and 3 mags. I did eventually sell it but for these reasons: First, the accessory rail is specific to HK accessories, I was going to have to accessorize the accessory rail, second, I had a guy (here on the hide) offer me a trade for a kimber I was lusting after. I liked the pistol and think it is all its advertised to be. Not a carry gun by any means, never meant to be. I get what I was looking for from both my P220 and my G 21 SF 3rd Gen.

Reference all the opinions here, Sigh, most of the issues here are solved by being better informed when buying or by TRAINING. IMHO, if you are not operating your weapon properly under stress, you need to train more. Buying a $1k gun doesnt excuse you from having to train. There is good advice to be had on this site if you can derive it from all of the "My Favorite Handgun" posts.

Did I mention training?

Let Fly

i have owned varius HKs at one time or another as well as 1911'2 etc..and the newer HK45 is by far the best pistol I own. Accuracy, ergos (for me at least, and I have smaller hands) size, ease of maintenance and function all get top marks for a production gun. Sure a 2500-3000+ custom job gun may be more accurate etc... but at 700- 900 depending where you live is tough to beat. Would I trust my life to the Hk45? Absofuckinglutely. It was created for the latest round of pistol tryouts that never happened. Basically, it combines the best of what HK has made to this point into one outstanding package. hope ths helps.

I have a HK USP 45 and I like it but since I tried and bought a Glock 30 my HK USP 45 is collecting dust. The HK USP 45 never failed me except when I used Wolf 45 cal ammo every other 45 cal ammo worked fine in the HK USP 45. It hit the target every time I aimed.

Has anyone seen a threaded barrel for the HK45. I heard they were going to be available, but have never seen one outside of Shot