• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HK 91 vs LMT 308 which to buy

BDOG

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2008
CA
Which is the better rifle ? They both cost about the same.
Thanks

Re: HK 91 vs LMT 308 which to buy

Got a HK SR9-TC, basically a HK91 with PSG-1 buttstock and PSG-1 trigger group and grip. Like it a lot and did not pay to much for it, had it since '95. However it is a boat anchor and it dents brass when ejecting, pretty much all HK 9 series rifles. I would go with a .308 AR type if I were looking today, LWRC REPR or POF .308. Don't know much about the LMT but I am sure that it is in the same league as the two I am looking at.

I actually had the opportunity to have a back to back shootout with these two rifles last weekend. The LMT did much better than I expected. Both rifles shot in the 3/4" moa range. I have to admit that the hk91 that I was comparing the LMT to was a tricked out Springfield heavy barrel counter sniper rifle. The LMT seemed more consistent without the muzzle break. They were very close and it would be difficult to say that a stock hk91 would have the advantage in accuracy. The LMT seemed more well balanced as the hk91felt front heavy in comparision.

They're two completely different types rifles. The HK91 is a battle rifle; it's going to be comparable to a FAL/M14/AK/SCAR17, while the LMT is a precision rifle. The HK91 is a great rifle, I love HKs and the roller locking system is a great reliable and proven action. It's a 3-4 MOA rifle at the best of times. The LMT is going to be a 1 MOA or better rifle.

It depends on what exactly you're looking to do with it.

The HK91 and good clones such as the PTR-91 are excellent rugged rifles that eat just about any ammo you throw at them and can be used and abused.

The real HK 91 rifles are also somewhat of a collector item depending on condition, date etc.

They are not however a precision rifle and are a bit hard to mount any bigger scopes on.

If you do want to go with the HK 91 series, I'd say get an original HK one if you want it for a collector item, or for having and showing others or for an investment collector value, if you want a rugged beat around one, pick up a PTR-91 around the 1K range.

I would say a good way to compare it is that it is the German idea of a M1A/M14, and in some ways compares easily in that it is rugged, reliable well regarded but without extensive modifications, it won't give the same accuracy as one of the AR platform 308 guns.

One good thing however is if you don't hit them with the bullet, you might still hit them with the shell flying forward and a bit to the right HA!

I have reloaded some ammo with my HK91 and between the dent (you can get an ejection port buffer and it works well) to the stripes that are deep and dark it does mess up the brass real bad. I don't have many rounds down mine that I bought back in 83 or 84' but it is defiantly better than a 3 or 4 moa rifle even with iron. I also think the HK iron sights are the best iron sight on any battle rifle I have shot. (circle of light).

LMT hands down. I had 91 and still have a G3. While they look really cool and are reliable they are heavy, poor ergonomics (when compare to the 308 AR's), have heavy recoil, slow to load/ reload.... basically really old technology. Unless you want a collectible range toy - get a modern gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One good thing however is if you don't hit them with the bullet, you might still hit them with the shell flying forward and a bit to the right HA! </div></div>

We smashed a car's window with a G3 once. We were about 25 feet to the left of the car, the casings went over the roof of the shooting pavilion, hit the window, and cracked the hell out of it.

I'm looking at a real HK 91 . Not a clone. The HK is hell on brass. I'm interested in an accurate autoloader that's dependable. Now that you mention collector value and drool factor,I'm still not sure. Thanks for the replys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at a real HK 91 . Not a clone. The HK is hell on brass. I'm interested in an accurate autoloader that's dependable. Now that you mention collector value and drool factor,I'm still not sure. Thanks for the replys.</div></div>

Something about the real deal that is cool.
That being said ~ the PTR is a third the price and 98% the same rifle.
I have a PTR but REALLY want a HK91 but the PTR keeps me satsified for now.

BTW the LMT is substantially more accurate and as mentioned in an above post they are different types of weapons.

YMMV

Sounds like you have a serious HK itch. Might need to get it out of your system. My .02 cents;

If you can get the HK for a decent price, you could always recoup your purchase price if you decide to sell later, they seem to hold resale value insanely well.

HK's are hard to scope, have crappy triggers, are 2-3 moa with milsurp, deadnuts reliable, heavy, no bolt hold open. Look badass with a collapsible stock. Cheap mags, eat most any 7.62. I've had two over the years, excellent for what it is as a battlerifle, but no way in hell would I pay the 2k or so they go for now.

I've taken care of my HK itch, you may need too also, but I would still recommend the LMT.

If you want a collector HK91, best get one in unfired or in like new condition and then get a PTR91 as well to be your shooter.

One of the big reasons HK91 and similar rifles are also very popular is that you buy one registered auto sear and then you can turn any of your HK roller locked guns into Full Auto fun, so one day you shoot the 308, the next day you try the 9mm, then back to the 223, then over to the custom made MP5 in 10mm and then back to your HK91 and then over to the new PTR91 that uses AK ammo for when you are a bit broke etc, kind of like being able to have a whole closet of full auto guns for the cost of 1 sear.

HK does have a new one out called the MR308 that is based on the AR platform and I think will be a lot more accurate right out of the box than the normal basic HK91 but it won't have near the collector value. (It is also currently more expensive).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at a real HK 91 . Not a clone. The HK is hell on brass. I'm interested in an accurate autoloader that's dependable. Now that you mention collector value and drool factor,I'm still not sure. Thanks for the replys.</div></div>
Not sure how you are going to accomplish that if you live in Kalifornia. Originals are Verboten.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezman762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you have a serious HK itch. Might need to get it out of your system. My .02 cents;

If you can get the HK for a decent price, you could always recoup your purchase price if you decide to sell later, they seem to hold resale value insanely well.

HK's are hard to scope, have crappy triggers, are 2-3 moa with milsurp, deadnuts reliable, heavy, no bolt hold open. Look badass with a collapsible stock. Cheap mags, eat most any 7.62. I've had two over the years, excellent for what it is as a battlerifle, but no way in hell would I pay the 2k or so they go for now.

I've taken care of my HK itch, you may need too also, but I would still recommend the LMT.
.</div></div> Using the HK quick detachable mount works very well. It is rock solid and holds a zero. It does however set the scope up a bit high. I sent my trigger in to Williams and had a set trigger installed in the late 80's. It friggin' rocks. I would compare that trigger to any high end AR trigger out today in either regular or the set position. I think the poor accuracy is due to the 11 ton "factory" trigger. I do hate the lack of a last round bolt hold open device. I also have the original collapsible stock as well and is nearly unshootable with it. You will be heavily bruised and you have no cheek rest at all.

I had an original HK 91 with the PSG-1 trigger group. It did better accuracy wise then some of the other posters. Cool factor has to go to to HK 91. Having said that the newer LMT, or Gap-10 is the way I would go. I plan on ordering the Gap-10 real soon.

I don't even know how this could be a question. Get the LMT MWS and run with it.

Another vote for the LMT...... It's the one rifle that will not be leaving me....

Having owned a 91 at one time, I dont even think it's a fair comparison...lol.

This...

DSC_00331.jpg

My vote will be for an LMT especially for support from LMT and easy to aquire parts. quick change barrels are a must if you want to run 6.5CM or any other caliber. I have been researching the LMT for a long time and am waiting to see how the colt 901 compares when its available before i spend close to 3k on a rifle.

Wow! Thanks for that video. The guy at about 19 min kicked ass w/that HK91. All head shots in the center. Will the lmt do that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooterone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually had the opportunity to have a back to back shootout with these two rifles last weekend. The LMT did much better than I expected. Both rifles shot in the 3/4" moa range. I have to admit that the hk91 that I was comparing the LMT to was a tricked out Springfield heavy barrel counter sniper rifle. The LMT seemed more consistent without the muzzle break. They were very close and it would be difficult to say that a stock hk91 would have the advantage in accuracy. The LMT seemed more well balanced as the hk91felt front heavy in comparision. </div></div>

This was my MWS and his HBCS. The Battle comp was hand tight and came loose throwing some rounds. We took the Battle comp off and the groups tightened way up. I have an HBCS as well and it never gets fired because of the LMT.

This one is really a no brainer as an earlier poster said. LMT MWS all the way period. End of story. The end. Good night. So long....

Love my LMT
Mine seems to be a real work horse and built like a tank
Not sure what makes a "Battle" rifle
But a +1 for LMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! Thanks for that video. The guy at about 19 min kicked ass w/that HK91. All head shots in the center. Will the lmt do that? </div></div>

If you're asking questions like this then it probably doesn't matter what rifle you get. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

The AR Family (which includes the LMT 3008) is the best all round semi-auto Rifle/Battle-Rifle/Whatever-you-want-to-call-it Rifle. PERIOD! Nothing even comes close. The AR has many things going for it:
1) Lot of choices on accessories. Choice of stocks, trigger grips, gas block, match barrels, CL barrels, sites.
2) Comes with a scope mount and you always get excellent cheek weld. All the others are a bitch to scope, and even if you do find a way to scope them, cheek weld will always be an issue (in stock form).
3) Bolt gun type accuracy
4) You can Smith the AR yourself. Things from changing a barrel, to swapping bolts or swapping triggers are super easy. To Magician needed.
5) New Mfg. mags are everywhere and they are cheap.
6) New Mfg Spare parts are available.

I own FALs, M14s, AKs, and G3s. I love them all, and all work great (at least mine do), but the AR easily trumps them all for an all around battle gun.

Im a sucker for all things HK, and my 91 is a beast! so i might be biased. I would go for the classic nostalgia of the HK91 and the never fading resale value.

I love my HK-91s. I don't reload, so the dented and stridated brass is no big deal to me. I shoot Radway Green that is Berdan primed and the 91 goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I did upgrade to PSG-1 trigger groups on both rifles which made a big difference over the factory triggers. As for accuracy, it is a 1-2 MOA rifle. I use the HK mounts and don't put big objective scopes on them. I have many extra magazines for them, as they cost $2-7 each, depending on condition. I have owned my 91s for 25 plus years. I believe this is before LMTs even existed. My 91s have never given me a reason to look at other semi auto 308s.

I love my HK 91 and I love my FALs but my AR10 shoots tinier groups, sights are way better, it doesn't fling the brass in the next county and fits me better and is easier to clean. I could go on but those are the main reason the AR is shot 10X more often than the other two.

I shot a 91 once,
I think the brass is still sitting in low orbit...

BDOG, what exactly do you plan on using the rifle for? I owned a HK-91 years ago and currently own a PTR-91. I love the HK design but it is dated. Unless you want the 91 for collecting or as an investment go with the LMT. The only thing the 91 has going for it over the LMT is the dirt cheap magazines.

Buddy of mine still has my old HK 91 with polygonal barrel, still shoots it. Added the ejection port bumper, but have not asked if he has tried to reload the striated brass.

My memory of it was the surprisingly jolting recoil. Was used to years of M 14, so not a newby to the 7.62. That thing just plain jolted you. Bolt recesses were a pain to try and clean as well.

Have a LR 308 homebuilt now that has amazingly low recoil. Muzzle blast is a bear at 16", but my buddy says the HK is just as bad. Cannot say as to accuracy, I am more of a battle rife guy. Memory is what it is, but I prefer the ergonomics and feel of the 308 AR by far.

Oh yeah, being left handed, the 01 was a PITA. AR no problemo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my HK 91 and I love my FALs but my AR10 shoots tinier groups, sights are way better, it doesn't fling the brass in the next county and fits me better and is easier to clean. I could go on but those are the main reason the AR is shot 10X more often than the other two. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooterone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both rifles shot in the 3/4" moa range</div></div>

Definitely not mine. As other has stated, with match ammo mine is 1-2" and 3-4" with milsurp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent my trigger in to Williams and had a set trigger installed in the late 80's.</div></div>

+1 on Williams. Took mine from 12lbs to 4lbs for $65 a couple years ago and had the trigger group back in my hand in about a week.

91's are fun but common guys, they're not even in the same league as an LMT MWS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 900inch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buddy of mine still has my old HK 91 with polygonal barrel, still shoots it. Added the ejection port bumper, but have not asked if he has tried to reload the striated brass. </div></div>

..... Polygonal hammer forged barrel...... mmm .... He doesn't happen to want to sell it does he?

Shooterone was referring to a Springfield HBCS (poor mans psg1) It will compete with the LMT MWS if not shoot better, but those are not your average HK91 for comparison. A non-hbar HK91 is not comparing apples to apples with the LMT (except for cost).

However, Shooterone's Springfield is bolt action accurate with his "one-shot" reloads. We dont even bother looking for the brass that are 30 yards away from us.

I would like to see how a nice port buffer might change things up for it though. If the HBCS of his was reloadable, my decision would be reversed in regards to his rifle ( not HK91s as a whole)

Far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money but I will certainly give you my opinion.

LMT hands down.

I recently sold my M1a/M14's and I although they were nice rifles the LMT is far superior. Believe me I have had FAL's too and although I never had a G3 style rifle the LMT I am sure can out shoot that as well. For many years the only reliable .308 "battle rifles" were the G3 , FAL, and M14 ...not anymore..just ask the British who currently use the LMT.

As others have said if your adding to your collection by all means knock yourself out and get the HK but if you are looking for a functional rifle with a precision capability then the LMT is it. Plus as Cartman pointed it is supported with so many accessories, easier to mount optics, easier to maintain, superior ergos...plus you can order different barrels and swap in and out, made in the USA and IMO the softest shooting .308 I have shot even w/o a muzzle brake....I think you'd be making a major mistake by even considering the HK unless you are buying to round out your collection of battle rifles of the 50's-60's.

LMT! I have both. You are paying for collectability with the HK. LMT is superior in every way

I love them all, M14s, FALs, G3s, and AR10s. All of them may be equally reliable, but the AR10 easily outshines them all when it comes accuracizing and smithing.

The Cartmann .308 Family.
IMG_1406-vi.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a nice family portrait EC.
cool.gif
</div></div>

Thanks! That is just the .308's in the Cartmann Family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks! That is just the .308's in the Cartmann Family.</div></div>
Does the sword come in .260?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love them all, M14s, FALs, G3s, and AR10s. All of them may be equally reliable, but the AR10 easily outshines them all when it comes accuracizing and smithing.

The Cartmann .308 Family.
IMG_1406-vi.jpg
</div></div>

i have to ask why is a katana in the .308 family?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jabronie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i have to ask why is a katana in the .308 family? </div></div>

Same reason the couch, the carpet, and the blinds are in the pic. Part of the landscape.