• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns HK P30 Shell ejection question

Mr Silverman

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2011
Little Washington, VA
I need a little education please,

The scenario: While at the NRA rifle range with my SO. She is firing a HK P30 9mm and is doing well. (4 inch @ 20 feet double taps). However the shells are ejecting to the left of the pistol. (up and left). Furthermore the slide stop failed to stop the slide in the rear.

I fired several rounds through the pistol and I cannot recreate what is happening when she operates the pistol. The slide will stay back on empty and the rounds eject (right + rear). Her form on the firing line is not showing any signs that this would cause an issue.

My question is, what could be causing this? Im sure there is something that I am not seeing in her form since the pistol is ejecting wrong and the slidestop is not functioning whilst she is operating it.

Any help in this matter would be appreciative.

Re: HK P30 Shell ejection question

The slide stop is her grip. I can say that with about 99% confidence. It is a known 'issue'. Her thumb is riding the slide stop. I had the same issue and so do many others. The solution some have taken is to put on HK P2000 or HK45c slide release levers or dremel some off the P30 levers. They are the same and will drop right in to your P30. For more info on this check out the HKpro forum, it has been discussed in depth. As for the ejection, if it ain't broke......... but if it does bother you, post the question on the hkpro forum as well, if possible take a video and post it. Since you cannot recreate it, and it only happens when she shoots it, it is something with her.

To note: HK pro gave alot of good advice. Ill be taking the camera to the range next time though to see what it can see that I cant. The consensus is that she maybe riding the slide release. As for the ejection, alot of people called BS (they also said HK's dont malfunction like that ;)) but I saw it with my own eyes. Thanks for all the good advice.

I have a P30 in 40, great pistol, and agree with the above assessment on the slide release. I do it too unless I remember to adjust my grip.

As long as there are no failures to eject I wouldn't worry about which direction the spent casings are flying. As for the slide failure to lock back that is likely the right thumb riding on the slide stop lever, easy to do and easy to fix just adjust her grip. My GF loves my P30 as well must be the comfy grip
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The slide stop is her grip. I can say that with about 99% confidence. It is a known 'issue'. Her thumb is riding the slide stop. I had the same issue and so do many others. The solution some have taken is to put on HK P2000 or HK45c slide release levers or dremel some off the P30 levers. They are the same and will drop right in to your P30. For more info on this check out the HKpro forum, it has been discussed in depth. As for the ejection, if it ain't broke......... but if it does bother you, post the question on the hkpro forum as well, if possible take a video and post it. Since you cannot recreate it, and it only happens when she shoots it, it is something with her.</div></div>

I agree here. I dont think there is anything *wrong* with the pistol itself. It seems to be shooter induced, and correctable. I have seen similar issues with folks on other pistols. Positioning the thumb tightly under the slide stop can cause upward tension, causing the slide to drag, thus not cycling properly. That could also have an effect on the case ejection. But as long as it is ejecting and cycles a new round into battery I would not be concerned.

Doesnt the P30 have the adjustable straps? I havent shot the P30, but its similar to the USP in ergonomics. Making the grip slightly bigger, and re-positioning the thumbs may solve this issue.