• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns HK P30SK - Best AIWB EDC Ever...?

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 5, 2009
    WA, USA
    First off, I don't intend this thread to be a debate RE: the virtues/drawbacks of AIWB carry. If you want to dive into the merits of this style of carry, feel free to start a thread to do so.

I carry AIWB most of the time. It works for me. I like it. I have a commander size 1911, a HK PSP, a G26, a G43 and a HK P2000 that have rotated duty. I have come to feel more comfortable with a hammer fired pistol for AIWB. It may not be required, but I feel a bit better knowing that I can thumb the hammer upon re-holstering and that with a good holster that covers the trigger, it is basically impossible for the pistol to fire while holstered (can't really think of a scenario where it could fire). Ergo, the P2000 has gotten the nod more often than not as of late.

Enter the P30SK. I just picked one up off of a 'Hide member, and took it out for a spin for the first time today. HOLY COW! I love this little gun. It has the V1 LEM trigger (same as my P2000), and it shoots lights out for me. I have really grown to admire the LEM trigger. It takes just a bit of practice to get used to, but even an average shooter like me can gain proficiency with it fairly quickly.

The P30SK is about the size of a G26, and it conceals quite well. It's an HK, so I expect reliability from it. I fired 250 rounds today without issue. I know, its only getting broken in, but all signs point towards the expected reliability. At the end of my range session, I fired 20 shots of remanufactured 115gr, with mag change, as fast as I could pull the trigger into the head of a standard ISPC target at 10 yards and they grouped about 3.5". With my limited skills, I'll take that.

So, for my needs and requirements, I can't think of a better AIWB handgun.

How about you? What do you carry AIWB?

Last edited:
    I carry the same pistol AIWB and it fits very well. Call me paranoid, but I like having the traditional DA/SA trigger, as there's no stored kinetic energy in the weapon with the hammer down. The LEM keeps tension in the mainspring when the hammer is forward, hence the decision. No complaints when paired with a Stealth Gear holster.

FYI - I have the DA/SA option without the safety lever.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8549 This link does a good job of reviewing various trigger systems, and was somewhat influential in my choice of trigger systems. No "one size fits all" for sure, but I really like the LEM system for EDC.

That's a great article on the LEM trigger and if I ever buy another P30 I'm going to try it with the LEM V4.1 setup.

I can't argue with your choice at all. I also like AIWB - I'm trying to make an officer 1911 work because I shoot it better but that p30sk is the Cat's Meow. I have not played with a VP9sk but I was surprised at how well I shoot the VP9. I try not to like striker fired pistols but HK engineers hit a home run with that one.

I can't argue with your choice at all. I also like AIWB - I'm trying to make an officer 1911 work because I shoot it better but that p30sk is the Cat's Meow. I have not played with a VP9sk but I was surprised at how well I shoot the VP9. I try not to like striker fired pistols but HK engineers hit a home run with that one.

Agreed. My only complaint with the VP9 I owned was that, with my grip, I thumbed the slide release and didn't always get slide lock on an empty mag. Pretty common experience on the VP9 if you read up on them a bit. Overall, the VP9 is a great pistol IMNSHO.

I have come to feel more comfortable with a hammer fired pistol for AIWB. It may not be required, but I feel a bit better knowing that I can thumb the hammer upon re-holstering and that with a good holster that covers the trigger, it is basically impossible for the pistol to fire while holstered (can't really think of a scenario where it could fire). Ergo, the P2000 has gotten the nod more often than not as of late.

an excellent point, and H&K makes superb weapons.

I also carry AIWB 100% of the time. My personal choice is a Glock 19 with a Gadget. No need to get into the gun debate, but wanted to point out that it's possible to have that tactile backup safety while holstering with a striker-fired gun, if you're into that kind of thing.... see link.

an excellent point, and H&K makes superb weapons.

I also carry AIWB 100% of the time. My personal choice is a Glock 19 with a Gadget. No need to get into the gun debate, but wanted to point out that it's possible to have that tactile backup safety while holstering with a striker-fired gun, if you're into that kind of thing.... see link.

Spot on.