• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors HK USP 9 vs. ???

calawey

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2010
The Heartland
I currently have an HK USP9 (KE-1994, Excellent condition) and am thinking about trading it in for a newer sidearm.

Have been looking at the S&W M&P9mm, but would appreciate some other suggestions.

Also, anyone have any idea what my HK might be valued at?

Re: HK USP 9 vs. ???

Your best bet for determining pricing on an item like your USP9 is to check out the WTS: HK Handguns forum on HKPro and see what pistols there, like yours, have been selling for in the last few months. Also, search completed autions on GunBroker for USP9s in similar condition, with similar mags/access., and see what the final purchases prices were.

As for "newer" pistols...it really is up to you, what you want/need out of it, and how much you are willing to pay! The best advice I can give you is to not take anyone at their word on what YOU should buy because one man's heaven for pistols is another man's deepest, darkest pit of hell. Until YOU wrap YOUR hands around any pistol you are considering, including firing them if you are able, YOU won't know what fits YOU and what will suit YOU best.

The other thing to consider is whether you want to go away from a traditional DA/SA pistol like the USP, and move to a striker-fired setup like the M&P, XD/XDm, Glock, etc. There are some fundamental differences in operation and if you are used to one, you may not like another.

ORD - Thanks for the info, much appreciated. What you say is certainly true on the "newer" pistols. With so much out there, I'm quite honestly just looking for a place to start.

Thanks again.

when it comes to handguns the only real talk that matters imo is reliability; after that it is what fits you best. I have heard positive things about the M&P though.

The HK P30 would make an awesome upgrade.

For my candid thoughts on the M&P9, check out this post I just made:http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2299389#Post2302333
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M&P compacts are pretty soft shooting (more so than the equivalent sized Glocks).

The trouble is that they're made by S&W.

The mag dropping issue was related to using a plastic magazine catch on a metal magazine notch. It was just a poor design that caused wear to occur rapidly.

The two real significant problems they have today is their strikers (they've done like 5 versions of them, and each time, they say "it's fixed". I don't trust that it is, and only time will tell if it really is or not). The second, and more serious problem is that the 9mm and .40S&W guns unlock too fast.

Some loads will have the gun unlocking before the bullets leave the barrel, leading to heavier bullets shooting higher.

If you play with an M&P, watch how easily the slide moves back, and how fast the barrel drops down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYhbEEv0H9U

Compare that to a Glock, and see how much more travel is required to get the barrel to drop down (watch from 2:33 on):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHEdNx0Mk4

You should be able to feel it as you slowly work the slide in and out of lock-up, and you can start to see it in the above video examples.

M&P owners can check this themselves by shooting groups at 25y with 2 very different weight bullet (115gr and 147gr 9mm, or 155gr and 180gr .40S&W) and check to see if your POI changes by a measurable amount. Shoot that same ammo through a Glock, Sig, HK, etc...then note if the difference in POI is comparable or not.

The M&P45's seem to stay locked up longer, and aren't exhibited some of these swings in POI and accuracy that the 9mm and .40S&W guns are.

If you look around at some of the respected industry guys that were shooting M&P's one and two years ago...check to see how many still are. wink

All in all, they're relatively good guns for most people. They would be a second choice to Glocks for me though, currently (in 9mm or .40S&W).</div></div>

Wow, more great feedback. I hear what you're saying about the M&P's. And thanks for re-posting the info you put together, no question you did your homework.

Thinking now I may just keep enjoying my HK and not go through the trouble of 1) realizing a "new" gun isn't better and/or 2) that I just miss my HK.

Thanks again for the feedback.

USP's are solid and reliable, no doubt about that. If you're comfortable with the platform then stick to it.

That being said, I traded my USP for a Sig P226 for a number of reasons:
1) standard light rail
2) rattling mags drove me nuts on my USP
3) Not a big fan of external / manual safeties
4) The grip and trigger are soo smooth on the 226 it was orgasmic

If I were going for a polymer frame, I'd personally go for a Glock 17 over an M&P, but either is a reliable and plenty accurate so if one feels better in your hand then shoot it. I own a 17 and it is pretty much my favorite pistol right now, though it did take quite a bit of practice to get accurate with the glock trigger.