• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hodgdon Superformance Powder now available.

Re: Hodgdon Superformance Powder now available.

Good day,

Link to data sheet is Here.

Hope this helps,
DocB

Quick! Somebody try this in 7mm-08 and let me know how it goes!

Somewhat I expected, it's limited to lighter-for-caliber bullets in the more overbore cases. The LeverLution (sp?) powder looks interesting for 30-30 and 35 Rem (I don't load any of the others there).

I bet it would be very impressive with 75+gr bullets in 223 and 175-185gr bullets in 308 though.

The people I've asked about it said that it's a slow burning ball powder and you have to use a magnum primer for it.

Seems like it's been available for a little while, I thought someone on here would've reviewed it by now.

I shot some .308 Hornady Superformance 150gr SST's in my AR10-T. Through the 20" barrel they chrono'd an average of 2817fps; ES - 48; and an Standard Deviation of 13.6. 12 shot sample. The accuracy was just as good as my handloads. I'd like to try some of this powder. I should be able to do even better with a good handload.

Wonder why they don't show 308 data. I have tested their 175's and got 2831 avg. with so-so accuracy at 500yds. 3 to 4 in groups. Probably my lousy shooting habits though.

Rem 700 SPS Varmit 26"

I ordered a lb of it today from Powder Valley. The guy I talked to said Hodgdon didn't publish all the data they had if the loads weren't outstanding over the other data they have for similar powders, but recommended to call them for load data if it wasn't on the published data. I'm wondering if more data will be in Hodgdons annual manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot some .308 Hornady Superformance 150gr SST's in my AR10-T. Through the 20" barrel they chrono'd an average of 2817fps; ES - 48; and an Standard Deviation of 13.6. 12 shot sample. </div></div>

What was the velocity etc. of your handloads by comparison

Can't wait to see how this powder shoots in some of the popular calibers.

I will call and get soem of this on Monday and will be loading up some of the new 178 BTHP and 140 gr amax's with it!!

Not sure when I will get to it preping for Mammoth in a few weeks and SHOT show is right behind that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will call and get soem of this on Monday and will be loading up some of the new 178 BTHP and 140 gr amax's with it!!
</div></div>

Im assuming those are for the .260 and .308? I would like to know the load data Hornady uses for the 178 superformance load.. And what it will do for the 260... Anyone have an idea?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: F4D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....so-so accuracy at 500yds. 3 to 4 in groups. Probably my lousy shooting habits though.
Rem 700 SPS Varmit 26" </div></div>

Not to be a dick, but SPS Varmint, 500yds, 3-4inch groups is what you refer to as "so-so accuracy"? Are you f'king high?!?!
I guess next you'll be telling me that with your handloads you usually shoot 1-2 inch groups at 500yds out of this SPS all day long when you do your part?
-C'mon down to PRGC tomorrow morning and school us all. We have a monthly precision rifle match and would love to see some shooters putting their rifles to good use.

-back to the topic, I'd like to see if its going to be a powder that has consistency both of performance and availability before I go jumping on the bandwagon. Wonder if it'd be good for the 6.5 SA rounds......

Fish 301 -

With 150gr SST's and 46.1gr of IMR 4064 through my AR10-T (20"bbl) I'm getting an average of 2750fps. But I had to rig up an adjustable gas block to restrict the gas. Otherwise it would beat itself to hell when it cycles and I would be at least 150fps slower. So, the factory Superformance load is slightly faster. With their powder and custom loads for my gun I'm thinking I can get a little better.

I think this is a different blend than the one Hornady is using in the .308/178gr combo isn't it? On the burnrate chart it is near 4831 and RL22 but it looks like it was optimized for magnums with light bullets according to that load data.

Sobrbiker,Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I got pics of the targets and my comment was meant to compare expensive commercial ammo to my hand loads. The 178 Hornady Superformance was close to my hand loads by about 1 1/2" greater groups.
I was having an exceptional day when I shot the 500yd groups.

I'm an old fart that enjoys LR and by no means a competition threat.

F4D, doubt you ruffled anyones feathers here with that statement. Not saying you're BS'ing its just we've seen a lot of it and its just about always called imediately. If you know anything about factory rifles, you'll certainly understand the "doubt" about your statement. You're saying that you and your SPS are a combo capable of much better than .6 moa at 500 if it were'nt for your bad shooting habbits that day. Actually, you said that kind of performance is "so so". Come on brother, you'd have to prove it and not with a pic. I've shot .5 moa with my LTR at a grand with witnesses but I sure cant do it consistantly and wouldn't call anything less impressive "so so". BTW, there's a lot of old timers here, maybe thats the reason we're so eager to throw the BS flag
wink.gif
. Good shootin.

okie

I can't shoot with that results consistently either. I Bought the Rem SPS to have fun with at distance and have no plans to go to a 5,000.00 build as some of you have here. I shoot in Maricopa and any of you here are welcome to come out some time. I can also video my results including a target cam for proof. Course that's if I can hold a group like that again with a 650.00 rifle in a Choate stock looking through a Wotac scope.

What range in Maricopa? I am there a week or so out of every month and haven't found any, most of the locals I've spoken to say they go out in the hills to shoot.

F4D,
Do you perchance live in Kern County in CA?...

Gary

And back to a powder question -

I'm wondering with this being another double base powder, if it burns hot and would accelerate barrel wear?

Anyone heard any info?

I wonder how some 155 Scenars would fly outta my .300 wsm with this powder? Max suggested load for 155 gr Amax is 73.5(c), yielding 3405 fps (about 200 fps better than H-414).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: F4D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sobrbiker,Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I got pics of the targets and my comment was meant to compare expensive commercial ammo to my hand loads. The 178 Hornady Superformance was close to my hand loads by about 1 1/2" greater groups.
I was having an exceptional day when I shot the 500yd groups.

I'm an old fart that enjoys LR and by no means a competition threat. </div></div>
Yes, Your a old fart, alright. How are you doing?I know him and he is saying it like it is.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
F4D said:
.....so-so accuracy at 500yds. 3 to 4 in groups. Probably my lousy shooting habits though.
Rem 700 SPS Varmit 26" </div></div>

Did he say that his Rem was stock factory? I know a bunch of guys that could do this pretty consistently but with custom rifles. Will "the Drill" comes to mind as well as Mike, Kurt, "Snatcher", JFC, "RKSimple", "Swan" Rodger... and a whole bunch more. Even seen Chiller shoot better than that from time to time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how some 155 Scenars would fly outta my .300 wsm with this powder? Max suggested load for 155 gr Amax is 73.5(c), yielding 3405 fps (about 200 fps better than H-414).

</div></div>

This

Some is on the way from powder valley, I'll let you know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered a lb of it today from Powder Valley. The guy I talked to said Hodgdon didn't publish all the data they had if the loads weren't outstanding over the other data they have for similar powders, but recommended to call them for load data if it wasn't on the published data. I'm wondering if more data will be in Hodgdons annual manual.</div></div>

I also have a lb on the way from PV. I just got off the phone with Hodgdon, and he told me that they shouldn't have that powder until January, and so he doubts that they sent it. They did take my money, and PV always comes through. Also I asked him for any data for 308 and a 60 grain load for 243. He told me that there is no data what so ever for 308, or the 243 that I requested. He said that if it isn't faster than what is already out there, then they are not publishing it, nor will they because they have plenty of other powders that do the same.

This guy had that uppity gun store counter attitude that usually ends up biting in the end, so maybe there will be more info in the future.

I was told by Chris Hodgdon that this blend of Superformance is <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span> for the cartridges listed in the data sheet listed by DocB above and is <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> the same powder blend used in the Hornady .308 loads so don't be pulling bullets to find the weight of the 178 Superformance loads.

Also it does not have the same temperature insensitivity as the Extreme line but it’s better than the other Spherical powders such as H335.

Are they going to release the powder in the .308 loads?

Not that I heard. I will check more during SHOT.

Rob01,

Thanks for the information, it will keep a number of us from going down a misleading path.

Have fun,
DocB

I live about 400 miles East of there.

My rifle is a stock 700 SPS Varmint, 26" heavy barrel with a Choate Tac stock, Wotac 4x14x50, and a cheap ass Shooters Ridge bi pod.
I need to learn the finer points of prone shooting. I may need some help getting up from prone at my age. Today I felt like 106 year old after testing some more loads.

I too have a remington 700 sps chambered in 308 with a 26 inch barrel... Just lighted up the trigger to 3 pounds and got a Choate stock. Basically a off the shelf gun.

4 shots sub moa using 150 Gr Sierra Match King going 2700 FPS. It's not in the center due to I was still adjusting the scope for 500 yards.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii226/sparky0007/Riverbedshoot05.jpg

Maybe we should get back to the original topic of powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered a lb of it today from Powder Valley. The guy I talked to said Hodgdon didn't publish all the data they had if the loads weren't outstanding over the other data they have for similar powders, but recommended to call them for load data if it wasn't on the published data. I'm wondering if more data will be in Hodgdons annual manual.</div></div>

I also have a lb on the way from PV. I just got off the phone with Hodgdon, and he told me that they shouldn't have that powder until January, and so he doubts that they sent it. They did take my money, and PV always comes through. Also I asked him for any data for 308 and a 60 grain load for 243. He told me that there is no data what so ever for 308, or the 243 that I requested. He said that if it isn't faster than what is already out there, then they are not publishing it, nor will they because they have plenty of other powders that do the same.

This guy had that uppity gun store counter attitude that usually ends up biting in the end, so maybe there will be more info in the future.

</div></div>

I got a tracking number for my order, should be here Friday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told by Chris Hodgdon that this blend of Superformance is <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span> for the cartridges listed in the data sheet listed by DocB above and is <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> the same powder blend used in the Hornady .308 loads so don't be pulling bullets to find the weight of the 178 Superformance loads.
</div></div>
Thats incredibly lame... I know they realize that the superformance 175 load is a huge hit, And releasing the powder with no differenciation between loads is very misleading. I saw the load chart and didnt see any 308, but that being said... What is their huge seller? 308 caliber superformance ammo,... from 150gr hunting to 175 gr match.
Not every reloader is on this forum, I can see hundreds of reloaders being in their local shop, seeing a can of superformance sitting there and buying a can because they had great results with their 308s. This probably isnt intentional on Hornadys part, but that is a helluva cheap move to not make it clear its not a 308 powder... And I bet they wont mind some extra sales from mislead reloaders...
If I would have been duped by hornady/hodgdon and bought a pound of this I would be PISSED... Not everyone has Chris Hodgdon's phone number and can ask the ins and out of the powder. Thank you for posting what may have not been known for another 6 months...

Goose -

Your sig line is very appropriate: "Life's tough, but it's alot tougher if your stupid - The Duke". If one can't read the recommendations as listed on the label, perhaps they shouldn't be reloading in the first place?

Goose, Hornady isn't selling the powder. Hodgdon, who supplies it to Hornady is selling it. I agree that there should have been some better information put out to inform the public of which Superformance blend is being sold but I don't think anything was done deliberately to mislead the public. Both companies are top notch and don't need to play games to make sales.

I definitely plan on talking to Chris at SHOT and seeing if they will have the .308 blend sold in the future. There is obviously a great demand for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered a lb of it today from Powder Valley. The guy I talked to said Hodgdon didn't publish all the data they had if the loads weren't outstanding over the other data they have for similar powders, but recommended to call them for load data if it wasn't on the published data. I'm wondering if more data will be in Hodgdons annual manual.</div></div>

I also have a lb on the way from PV. <span style="font-weight: bold">I just got off the phone with Hodgdon, and he told me that they shouldn't have that powder until January, and so he doubts that they sent it</span>.
</div></div>

I guess Powder Valley has a time machine
rolleye0011.gif

IMG_20101224_171306.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Goose -

Your sig line is very appropriate: "Life's tough, but it's alot tougher if your stupid - The Duke". If one can't read the recommendations as listed on the label, perhaps they shouldn't be reloading in the first place? </div></div>

Also lame, dont try to get cute pipes... Is every load for a powder printed on the front of the can? Unless your comment was directed at yourself, try to put a little better thought into your insults..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "KONG"</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Goose -

Your sig line is very appropriate: "Life's tough, but it's alot tougher if your stupid - The Duke". If one can't read the recommendations as listed on the label, perhaps they shouldn't be reloading in the first place? </div></div>

+1 </div></div>
What? you too??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told by Chris Hodgdon that this blend of Superformance is <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span> for the cartridges listed in the data sheet listed by DocB above and is <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> the same powder blend used in the Hornady .308 loads so don't be pulling bullets to find the weight of the 178 Superformance loads.

Also it does not have the same temperature insensitivity as the Extreme line but it’s better than the other Spherical powders such as H335. </div></div>

I don't know if I would have named the powder the same as the loads for just that reason (the part about assuming and pulling factory loads to match with handloads). Liability faux pas IMHO....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told by Chris Hodgdon that this blend of Superformance is <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span> for the cartridges listed in the data sheet listed by DocB above and is <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> the same powder blend used in the Hornady .308 loads so don't be pulling bullets to find the weight of the 178 Superformance loads.

Also it does not have the same temperature insensitivity as the Extreme line but it’s better than the other Spherical powders such as H335. </div></div>

I don't know if I would have named the powder the same as the loads for just that reason (the part about assuming and pulling factory loads to match with handloads). Liability faux pas IMHO.... </div></div>

You worded that so much better than I did... haha ohh merry christmas.. Is anyone else drinking alone tonight?

Looks like a deliberate marketing ploy coming on the heels of Hornady's successful debut of the Superformance just no one came out and said it carrys the same name but is not the same product.
Time will tell but obviously if Hodgdon is not publishing data then it is not same product.
Sounds like a RL-17 clone.

looking forward to you 300WSM guys testing this stuff out...
a 155 at 3400 is awesome.
I remember reading something about AMAXs coming apart at like 3300 or something, I'm definitely not 100% on that though.

looking forward to test results...