• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hog hunting experts

nuclabuyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2010
Nucla, Co
I bought and setup a DPMS ar10 in 308 to go hog hunting in a couple weeks. I was originally going to put an eotech on it, but I am wondering if a vortex strikefire and an american defense QD mount wont work as well. I have never been to the property so I dont know about distance of the average shot. I would expect it to be 50-200 yards. I am alittle worried about the 4 moa dot as it is quiet large for a 200 yard shot. I was also thinking of taking a 4-16 power sightron scope incase I need the power. I have been using for load develpoment so it should be ready to go. My question is, does the vortex strikefire fit the bill? Is it quality enough to put on a 308 ar10 and be reliable? and is 4 moa to big for hog hunting?

Re: Hog hunting experts

Forget the RDS. Just mount the Sightron and leave it at between 4-6X. If you're looking for a dedicated hog optic, take a look at either a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 (German #4) or 3-9 (standard duplex), both with a green center dot, or possibly a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with FireDot. OTOH, if you're hunting in a state where scopes with illuminated reticles are forbidden for hunting (it's controversial in CO), you might want to consider something like a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with the German #4 reticle. JMHO.

I just got back from a hog hunt in NC, I used a .50 Beowulf with a 1-4x Nightforce. Longest shot was 150 yards running shot, at night all shots were under 70 yards. I would recommend a scope with a good field of view, as hogs always seem to be on the move. A 4 moa dot would be fine imo, and fast to pick up the Target. I am no expert, but did manage to come home with four Hogs. Good luck and have fun.

I just got the DPMS Sportical for hog killing specifically. I put a EOtech on it and love it. Breaking it in this weekend.

It depends on what you're doing. Sitting in a stand over a feeder, I'd go with a low power scope. Riding around in a Chenowth Light Strike Vehicle, rather have the unlimited eye relief EOtech.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as hogs always seem to be on the move</div></div>

This is true, I can't think of a time when they were just standing around.

I usually carry several setups when running down hogs. Primarily all my hunting is done from 4 wheelers in groups so the situation is always changing at a rapid pace.

If we are running hogs in thick cover, I use a setup with an Eotech. For more open areas, a 3 x 9 works but the setup I like best is the Eotech.

When having to get lined up on a shot quickly, the Eotech is hard to beat. As mentioned already, Hogs seem to be on the move all the time.

How about an Eotech with a flip up mounted magnifier...?

Like I mentioned before this is my friends brother and I have never been to the property. So I am not sure what kind of shooting it will be. He told us that they are everywhere and he shoots alot of them with his 44. So I am thinking they are close. I am thinking about my scope and getting a QD scope mount, that way if they are close I will detach and run magpul flip up sights. And then if I need a dot sight I can get it for next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the eotech because of the field of view. </div></div>
Stick with the Eotech and iron sights for the longer shots.

eotech all the way. unless you are sitting in a stand you will not have time to think about changing scopes and other BS! I have tried all on my AR10 and always end up back to the eotech. Killed 112 hogs with it in 2011, from damn close out to 300 plus. great advantage with the quick target pic up and both eyes open to stay on them. dont waste your money with the flip over magnafiers. good luck!

Anything in he 1-4. Or 1-6 power would b great for hogs at those distance. Especially if you have to lead.

i put a accupoint 1x4 german #4 on a 300 blackout and could not be happier for a hog optic. The green tritium shows up great on pigs and its super fast.

We kill alot of hogs on our ranch averaging about 15-20 hogs per weekend. We've already killed about 250 hogs since January 1st. My cousin and I have used everything from a .17HMR to a .50 Beowulf. In the end it all comes down to bullet choice and shot placement. My cousin and I used to always use our AR's with eotechs but have just recently started using mainly a bolt action .25-06 with a 3-9x scope. You can definitely get more shots downrange with a red dot sight but you compromise precise shot placement. With a good 2.5-10 or 3-9x scope you can usually drop every hog you shoot at with the first shot. Just keep the scope at 3-5x until a farther shot presents itself and then dial it up to 8-10x and you should be fine. Hope this helps.

I have a Burris Tac30 1-4x and it has been great for the money. $300. Its got clear glass and bright illumination. Have killed a lot of hogs with it. I leave it on 1x and dial up the power if I need to. I plan on getting in on the SWFA SS 1-6x group but when it happens if I can. I wouldn't mind the extra magnification for longer shots, over 200 yards and for coyotes.

Where are you going to be hunting?

I have taken more than my share of hogs out of FL. I like my NF 2.5-10 for most stuff. If you are going to be walking in the woods a red dot would be ideal obviously. 1-4 would be a good medium ground(like the accupoint). Not sure exactly what your situation is, but obvious FOV is crucial. Walking on hogs in woods doesn't give you much time, but then again if you are going to be taking shots at 500 yards(which is fun for everyone)4x with the triangle sucks. IMO

Kevin

You can also get an offset red dot to go with the big scope you already have. This is my 308 with 6-24x and offset rd

shooting17.jpg

I have a friend with this setup

standard.jpg

Its nice but if I'm going to have both I'd rather have more mag than 4x.

My 6-24 is too much for a 308 AR also. Replacing it with a 3.5-21 HDMR

I will be out in the Houston area. I cant remember the towns name. But I will be in the houston area.

Low power illuminated reticle scope. Started out with an Eotech on my ar-10 we t to a 1-5 leupold mark 4 and have never looked back. 5x mag is plenty for 2-300 yards.

Keep it on low power. If you need the mag you'll have time to turn it up

Like Pigman Jr said shot placement is everthing i have used a 22 br through a 338-06 i used a acog on 1 ar but we now use a 4.5x14 lit reticle we have killed them at 50 yds but we have hunted them hard and they will hang out about 400 yds until dark to come in and feed, and this works for us but the terrain where other people hunt is different. Good luck!! Have a blast.