• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hog Hunting Questions

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm looking to go hog hunting and have a few questions, so to the brain trust I shall submit.

Background:

I've never hunted hogs before. I'd be glad to hunt hogs wherever they are plentiful whether it be Texas, Florida, Georgia, or wherever. I'm in KY where hogs are few and far between (and I wouldn't know how to hunt for them anyways).
I'm looking to hunt hogs for meat.
I'm not looking to combine a hog hunt with javelina or deer or any other game. It seems that most of the outfitters I've seen online look to combine hog hunts with javelina or some other game.

Questions:

1) I'm looking to go with an outfitter/guide, not a lone hunt on public land. Does anyone have any recommendations as to an outfitter that guides for hogs? Or a landowner who is willing to guide for hogs (for a fee)? I'm looking for an outfitter where all meals/lodging and transport are included in my fee. It needn't be fancy or special, but I'd like to have most of my costs up front and life made simpler. I've never hunted hogs, so someone with experience to show me a thing or three is a must for me.

2) What caliber would be appropriate for hogs? An AR seems an ideal weapon, but I'm unsure on caliber. I'd use my 6.5 Grendel if it weren't built to be a long range beast that weighs a ton. Is .223 adequate for hogs? Or should one consider something larger like .243 or 6.8 SPC?

3) How much meat should one expect from your average size hog? I'd like to bring home as many pork chops, loin roasts, shoulder, and hams as possible (and bacon, mmmmmm bacon) as I possibly can without being silly about it. We very much enjoy pork here in the eleaf household, and Mrs.eleaf would appreciate my affinity for hunting far more if I brought home some meat that she REALLY likes (in fact, when I brought up the notion of hunting hogs, she immediately asked how much meat I might be able to get from one, as opposed to the usual "how much would that cost?" question!).

Thanks.

Re: Hog Hunting Questions

Theres places around Dallas tht will get you a couple hogs for a hundred bucks. Usually just an AM Hunt.

The better tasting ones are smaller so you wont get a ton of meat off a 130lb sow as you would a 400lb board.

The last one I shot was a 200ish lb boar. I took the hams and the back straps. Soaked in ice/salt for a week and smoked em. Delicious! Probably had 40lbs in the hams and backstraps.

I've only ever taken one to the processor and came home 30 or so lbs of sausage, tenderloinds, plus the hams were really "hammed"

223 will kill hogs just fine.

1.There are places here in Texas where you can hog hunt for reasonable rates. Experience isn't really necessary as much of the hunting here is done from stands or hunting over a feeder. You just be quiet and blast them when they come in.
I prefer stalking them or as some call it spot-and-stalk type hunting. This requires a little skill(staying downwind and generally finding the little buggers) but it's still not hard.

2. .223 works OK but I prefer something with a little more punch for the shots that aren't perfect(running, heavy brush, texas brain shots, etc). Larger calibers are a little more forgiving. I use a .308 most of the time(Lightweight bolt gun). The type of hunting you do can make some difference in this as stand hunting allows you to be more precise with your shots than stalking/walking around. I've been thinking about getting a 6.8 upper as I think this would be about perfect but I'm trying to keep my ammo logistics simple.

3.As rrflyer said the big ones often taste the worse than the smaller 150lb-200lb pigs. I've never got bacon off em...they are mostly too lean. The salt/ice trick he mentioned is VERY important. I generally skin the hog, bust him up into quarters, and then put him on ice for 4-5 days draining the water every day and adding ice as necessary. It makes the meat more tender and it tastes better. I'd love to have a cooler where I could hang it for a few weeks but if wishes were horses....
Keep in mind too that Texas is in one of the toughest droughts in recorded history so average weights/numbers might be off a bit!

Here is a place south of Childress Texas I have been to many times, and it is a truly wild 100,000 acre cattle ranch, low fence with lots of hogs. Fully guided with meals and lodging. It was $360.00 per day last I was there, we usually do 3 days and have a blast. I would not recommend the 223 and I have used it many times, but you will lose hogs if not head shot. I just pealed 3 223 slugs out of a boar last week that only went into the shield about a 1/4 in. I prefer my AR10 and it works awesome. great eating and fun to hunt...Spike Box Ranch, ask for Cash Parrish 940-867-7735. Tell him Kimmel sent you. great time!

I don't have any experience when it comes to the meat because I just leave em where I kill em. As far as outfitters go, you might want to look in to Jager Pro out of Georgia. Their prices are $650 for one night and $550 per night for two nights. Each person is issued a Remington R-25 .308 with a thermal sight. Check out their videos on youtube they're pretty cool. When it comes to calibers, pretty much anything will drop a hog if you earhole it. I usually use a Rock River Arms AR15 and a Benelli M2 with 00 or 000 buckshot but you'll probably want to stick to a rifle because buckshot can tear up the meat pretty badly. A .223 is decent for killing hogs as long as you use hollow points instead of FMJ. I used to use 55 grain FMJ and it was not getting the job done. The only time it would drop the hog was if it was a headshot which can be tricky if they're running. I started using hollow points and have noticed a HUGE difference. I've heard of alot of people using 6.8 SPC for hogs and having much success with it. I just gave in the other day and ordered one for myself. I'd say go with either a 6.8 SPC, .308, or 6.5 Grendel as I've also heard alot of good things about the 6.5 for hogs.

I have killed a lot of hogs here in Texas, the .223 will kill one but its not my caliber of choice I had to track to many in the past wounded and im gonna tell you right now that shit aint fun. 6.8 and the .243 will be good but I would go with the .308 if you have one.

Heres a pic if your wanting to know where to aim.

kill_shots.jpg

We have been using our ARs lately with 60g vmas 223 loads and it seems to put them down good. I prefer shooting them with my 308 but sometimes the AR is the gun of choice if you want to try and get a lot of shots off on a group.

I run a 6.8 AR with 95 Barnes TTSX
I usually just put it right behind the bottom of the ear and it's down..

I like the Barnes 95 TTSX because if you end up with one up close and hit the shoulder, I know it will hold together and penetrate.

I trust them on pigs from point blank out to 400 yards.

This one was about 30 yards away when I was out stalk hunting for deer and came across it, it took off and I aimed for the neck but got the shoulder, right through the heart and exited the far side.
DRT

hogjan9jpg.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pigman Jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Nostra, very nice! What ammo did you use?</div></div>

110gn Vmax, with Benchmark powder....been a good combo so far.

hot dam some fine lookin hogzillas there. is that a fighting wound on the sow or the bullet damage?

I love the look in that bulldog's face staring down that hog... that is one proud bully.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jfalkent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the look in that bulldog's face staring down that hog... </div></div>

Actually, from that angle, he's more likely staring <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">up</span></span> the hog.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hot dam some fine lookin hogzillas there. is that a fighting wound on the sow or the bullet damage?</div></div>

That's an exit wound. Shot at aprox 10yds....very nasty. Those 110gn vmax projos have done some scary stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's an exit wound. Shot at aprox 10yds....very nasty. Those 110gn vmax projos have done some scary stuff!
</div></div>
That exit wound is insane! Have you tried out the 85 or 110 grain Barnes TSX yet for the 6.8? I've got a 6.8 upper in the works right now and am trying to decide between the 110gr vmax and the 85/110gr Barnes TSX.