• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hog Kill with Model 70 pre 64/ 47 year old ammo

308crosshairs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2005
Dallas
Killed this hog with Model 70 topped with a Unertl scope at 0630 hrs at 490 yrds, at shot hog was DRT.

Nice.

Did you dial anything or just use fear and common sense?
My rough guess is 30" of drop...prob closer to 36"?

DT

No dialing, just was shooting from a tower blind to deer feeder with a pre zeroed rifle at 500 yrds. That pile of corn is 490 yrds from tower blind.

Saying that you have "mighty fine taste in rifles" is a grievous understatement. Are the metal and wood finishes original?

Amazing rifle. Someday......
Nice shot, btw.

Thanks powdahound, the Model 70 is very accurate with this vintage 1967 LC ammo, but the crosshairs are very thin on the Unertl. And with my old ass eyes (68) crosshairs are a little on fuzzy side, but had enough light to make the shot.

Well done 308, it's nice to see the old warhorses still in service!! Completely BADASS!! :)

I have some decent rifles and see a lot of guns from day to day. Its not very often I am envious of someone else's rifle, but that girl makes me drool.

Thanks guys....it's good to see that people still appreciate these old Winchester Model 70 pre 64 rifles. These Model 70's won many long range matches in her day.

Great gun great ammo I doped some 1967 match I had a few years ago with still shot 1/2 moa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In using up the loaded M72 ammo that I bought to use for brass in my Model 70, It seems to like it as is pretty well I have found!

I love my Pre 64's. Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely on top of the "cool" list.
I love seeing stuff like this.
Good job man, beautiful rifle.

.... people still appreciate these old Winchester Model 70 pre 64 rifles....

Absolutely! Nice hog, but I would really like to see a couple more pictures of the rifle.
The barrel profile (heavier target / varmint without sights?) just looks fantastic in that stock.
... so I have a pre-64 barreled action that really needs a re-barrel, and I am getting some expensive ideas.... thanks!

Absolutely! Nice hog, but I would really like to see a couple more pictures of the rifle.
The barrel profile (heavier target / varmint without sights?) just looks fantastic in that stock.
... so I have a pre-64 barreled action that really needs a re-barrel, and I am getting some expensive ideas.... thanks!
Answer your question about the barrel. The barrel is a Douglas 24" Chrome Moly Steel barrel in Medium Heavy Contour with flat crown. The rifle originally was chambered as a 270. The guy who i purchased it from had it quite some time. The barrel was either shot out or damaged due to improper cleaning.

I had a old Unertl scope laying around, so i decided to have the 270 pre 64 cloned in a Vietnam era sniper rifle which my Smith rebarreled in .30-06 caliber. My Smith did a great job and she is a shooter now.

I always wanted to dispatch a hog with this Model 70 before i takeup the rocking chair, it was in my short bucket list. I'll post a couple of more pictures of Model 70 per your request in a day or so.

Last edited:
That thing makes me just squirm. I am a huge Hathcock fan. I would love to have one of those, I would plasma out some vc steel targets to shoot.

Nice shot--nice rifle-------When I first saw the post--I thought; I wonder if he has some of that old "the good years" Lake City? (I rat holed a few hundred of them away myself) (from 1963)-----and they are spot-on still.

Nice shot--nice rifle-------When I first saw the post--I thought; I wonder if he has some of that old "the good years" Lake City? (I rat holed a few hundred of them away myself) (from 1963)-----and they are spot-on still.

I purchased 9 boxes of this vintage LC ammo at least over 15 years ago. I have four boxes left to date unshot, with the fired brass i plan on reloading them and try to duplicate the LC load. However, i may have trouble finding 173 gr FMJ boattail bullets. This vintage LC ammo shots 1/2 moa in this M70 if i do my part.