Hog Saddle vs RRS quick release plat

Hoax001

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2014
Seems like ARCA is by far the most popular method.

Is there any good reason to go for a hog saddle/clamp over ARCA rail?
Seems like the only advantage is having a setup that will take any rifle you throw at it, all other advantages go to ARCA rail.

HOG was designed for use in US military sniper units for use with a variety of different military issue weapon systems. Arca-Swiss was originally a large format camera mounting system that became widely adopted in the civilian world. If you want the smallest, lightest, slickest system, then Arca-Swiss is the way to go. If you want the versatility across a variety of different rifles, especially those that may be difficult or impractical to mount using Arca-Swiss, then go with the HOG. They both have their place. If you are at a PRS competition…Arca-Swiss. War zone…the HOG.

Also, there are now HOG clones and even a RRS version.

According to HOG there are other advantages over Arca-Swiss:

"Q: Is a Picatinny Rail or Arca-Swiss direct mount accessory just as effective as a HOG Saddle?

A:
No, and here are three reasons why.
A direct mount tripod limits your capabilities to using only a rifle with rails or arca-swiss cut-outs. The HOG Saddle ® will universally secure to any rifle with or without picatinny rails. A tripod rest shouldn’t dictate to the user which rifle is appropriate to employ.

A direct mount tripod creates a metal-on-metal contact to the rifle and tripod. This metal-on-metal contact sends rifle recoil straight to the tripod causing the rifle to erratically hop off target. The HOG Saddle ®’s specially engineered pads absorb rifle recoil and eliminate tripod hop, facilitating rapid follow up shots.

The HOG or PIG Saddle does not need to be used with a tripod head. This gives the user the option to reduce even more weight and streamline their tripod kit. Not incorporating a tripod head also reduces the overall cost to Department and Team purchases.

beetroot

Major Hide Member
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
HOG was designed for use in US military sniper units for use with a variety of different military issue weapon systems. Arca-Swiss was originally a large format camera mounting system that became widely adopted in the civilian world. If you want the smallest, lightest, slickest system, then Arca-Swiss is the way to go. If you want the versatility across a variety of different rifles, especially those that may be difficult or impractical to mount using Arca-Swiss, then go with the HOG. They both have their place. If you are at a PRS competition…Arca-Swiss. War zone…the HOG.

Also, there are now HOG clones and even a RRS version.

According to HOG there are other advantages over Arca-Swiss:

"Q: Is a Picatinny Rail or Arca-Swiss direct mount accessory just as effective as a HOG Saddle?

A:
No, and here are three reasons why.
A direct mount tripod limits your capabilities to using only a rifle with rails or arca-swiss cut-outs. The HOG Saddle ® will universally secure to any rifle with or without picatinny rails. A tripod rest shouldn’t dictate to the user which rifle is appropriate to employ.

A direct mount tripod creates a metal-on-metal contact to the rifle and tripod. This metal-on-metal contact sends rifle recoil straight to the tripod causing the rifle to erratically hop off target. The HOG Saddle ®’s specially engineered pads absorb rifle recoil and eliminate tripod hop, facilitating rapid follow up shots.

The HOG or PIG Saddle does not need to be used with a tripod head. This gives the user the option to reduce even more weight and streamline their tripod kit. Not incorporating a tripod head also reduces the overall cost to Department and Team purchases.

I think in my situation the Hog saddle is the right way to go.
I've been putting off getting into tripod shooting for a long time now, maybe time to bite the bullet.

Reactions: Hoax001

Kambaku

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2020
I used a Hog Saddle for the first time hunting this fall. It worked well with how I had it set up especially with my rifles that don’t have a dedicated rail. However, I must admit that I need some more practice shooting off the tripod setup. I have an Ingenuity Gunworks Adjustarail on my A5 stock with my Vudoo; with that setup I have an Arca-Swiss adapter which I used with an Arca Swiss monoball. That configuration works well but is heavy. It also allows me to mount up the Hog Saddle but again heavy. I will fix this in due time but I think the Hog Saddle has its place.