• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hogue Overmold Stock on Rem 700s?

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
I have a question, I always see people recommend new stocks for Rem 700s saying that the Hogue stocks aren't very good. I'm just curious, what's so bad about them?

The reason I ask is because I'm very tempted to get the SPS Tactical AAC-SD and then save the money from not buying a new stock right away, and put it towards an AICS.

I've never had a bolt-action rifle, so I have nothing to compare it to so I'm wondering if I'll even notice anything bad about it.

So what's the dealio?

Re: Hogue Overmold Stock on Rem 700s?

I don't know if the M700 uses the same stock as a Howa...but the Hogue on a Howa flexes with a bipod and makes contact with the barrel.

Hmm, okay. Does that effect accuracy?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes in my experience it did...I sighted the rifle in off of a backpack and was pretty impressed with the results. Once I mounted the bipod I shot the same lot of ammo and there was no way I could get it to shoot as well as I did off the pack. Pulled the bipod and the accuracy returned. Not real scientific but it definitely impacted the rifles accuracy. I'm sure someone with much more knowledge and experience will chime in shortly. YMMV

Steve

IMO, I'd start with a SPS Varmint and that will help with saving money faster for that AICS stock. The SPS Var and Tactical both have heavy barrels but the Varmint has the longer 26" barrel, which will help with velocity if you're trying to drive a bullet to 1k yards.

they aren't very sturdy or rigid. it should work fine for you to learn with until you save up for another stock. my 700 aac shoots .5 - .75 moa with the hogue stock on it and factory ammo

i got a houge in a long action ....full length aluminum bed block with a 30.06, my young kiddos love to shoot.....cause it don't hurt.....

pillar bed ones flex ......savvy the full length aluminum block offerings...they are more money for a reason

That reminds me, i also have one on my 7mmRM hunting rig. It has the full length aluminum block, and its actually not to bad. doesn't seem to flex.

Get which ever rifle has your interest in hand then build on what you want to accomplish. You've got several stock options McMillan, H-S, AICS, Manner to name a few and you can do some glass bedding, pillars, etc.. to fine tune the stock that comes with the rifle.

I agree Hogue isn't the latest and greatest but definitely better than the 720's stock, a lot of the more "seasoned" ppl here will say save your money buy this buy that, just get the rifle shoot the hell out of it get good find things you want changed with the stock rifle then go from there. Cause who's to say you won't buy some gear that just doesn't work well for you then you find yourself at a lost selling new "used" gear.

Im going to get the 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD tomorrow, and just use the stock stock until I have enough for the AICS or a custom painted Manners stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1-equipment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just hate they way the feel. </div></div>

Like a chalkboard imo.

Great choice man, not trying to be down on your choice to get a new stock but just do it 1 stop at a time and you'll appreciate each upgrade from that point forward.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

I have so much on my list to get, and a new stock isn't a necessity, I probably wont get one until spring.

Well,

If you want some budget conscious equipment advice, feel free to drop me a pm.

Lol don't go for broke tryna keep up with some of these rich old guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1-equipment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just hate they way the feel. </div></div>

Like a chalkboard imo. </div></div>

Your saying a Hogue rubber stock feels like a chalkboard?

Ummmm, not the first thought that comes to mind when picking one up in my head. But rock on.

I own that rifle. Isn't a damn thing wrong with it. But if you want to plink down more than the whole rifle is worth on another stock have on at it. I'd say it largely depends on the type of shooting your doing.

See how it shoots for the intended purpose. Go from there. Unless your joining some of the crowd here on the 1000 yard line I'm thinking a different stock won't make much of a rats ass difference.