• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Holy Price Gouge

Hi,

Some members here should be ashamed at such blatant price gouging on their ammunition PX ads....

How can you justify 200 rounds of Barnes 300BO ammo for $440 when it retails for $269?
IF that is what you think of the fellow members here....well.......you get the point.

Sincerely,
Theis

Yep, takes a special POS to purposefully 'try' and gouge our folks, and it's BS. And oh, BTW, that's $269 WITH FREE SHIPPING !!!

Sometimes you wish that you'd be allowed to break the rule about for sale thread crapping....

Oh, it was well and truly broken when a guy in the PX posted a sale asking for .50 cents a round for steel cased Wolff 5.56. I don't know if that sale listing is still up. Real peach of a guy though, he covered shipping for $250 for $500.

Who cares? Really? If someone is willing to pay it, it's the going price. What was $xx.xx last month does not apply to this month. Not in any commodity. Are you also mad when something goes down in price? I'd assume that there are people out there just happy to get something that is very difficult to even find right now.

And if you think this is just a little blip in market and it will return to normal soon, well...

Reactions: Rootshot
Who cares? Really? If someone is willing to pay it, it's the going price. What was $xx.xx last month does not apply to this month. Not in any commodity. Are you also mad when something goes down in price? I'd assume that there are people out there just happy to get something that is very difficult to even find right now.

And if you think this is just a little blip in market and it will return to normal soon, well...

I care because it shows these people’s true colors. Free market be what it may, these are the very people driving prices up. As you state, if someone buys it, that’s their business. I, on the other hand, have a halfway decent memory but will be keeping a list as a backup. The gouging is even worse on the local gun forums, and some people are flat out proud of what they’re asking. One particular asshat is asking $1/shot for cheap 115gr FMJ 9x19. He’ll be added to my ignore list along with several others over the weekend when I have the time to compile the quickly growing list of names. I won’t but from them, and they can all ride the bullet train to hell if they think they’re gonna buy from me. That, or if they message me to buy whatever I’m selling, they’ll get their very own special price of 175% “off!” :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I still don't see it. They want to sell their property, set a price. And you don't like it because you and someone other like minded folks call it "price gouging" yet it has no effect on you whatsoever if someone else deems it a price worth paying. You're not involved at all except you read the ad and felt the price was high and high enough to deem it "gouging".

Can we start with a definition of what "gouging" is?

@Jefe's Dope

Im with you.
And doing it here on the Hide were the PX is already in jeopardy due to Frank being pissed about asshats all the time is my issue.

Trust me. Im not parting with 100 rds of 9mm to acquaintances for the low price I bought it for months ago.
In general, its like the stock market.
Here its less so as I see this as a brotherhood and not a place to make a buck.

My thoughts for no charge. ?

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
If you're gonna price gouge ammo, take that shit to Armslist or Gunbroker. This is not the place for it. Maybe it's just my idealistic view, but I figured we're above that shit here. And if you're going to do it, then expect to be called out on it. And don't expect "that's capitalism" excuse to save your ass. That excuse doesn't work for people trying to sell a gallon of water for $25 after a hurricane. It doesn't work for people selling hand sanitizer for $50 during the Wuhan virus either.

I’ve got plenty on my honey-do list, but I’ll see what I can do about a list. Keep in mind it’ll only be as current as what’s posted when I make it, but I’ll do what I can.

And to keep a positive spin on things, keep in mind that for every bad apple, there are plenty of good ones out there. Overall, we police our own pretty well here!

Reactions: 4X4Dad and 1J04
I encourage all those who think their ammo is worth more than gold to post up their prices asap

I am not saying they shouldn't, its a free country (sort of) and you can do what you want - but I can also do what I want with public information.

I am just saying in a closed community like this, my advice would be don't be an asshole -but that is just my advice
You want to price gouge, there is always craigslist and gunbroker

I may be wrong, but the complaints I'm reading about here are what people are doing on this forum not "out there" and I think many of us feel a sense of community by participating here and it just doesn't pass the smell test, in spite of the little pious lectures we are getting, "Why does it bother you? Don't pay it if you don't want it"

I think the emotional reaction to the jerks around here trying to screw fellow Hide members on prices reflects a sense of community that is equally outraged as are our communities if we see jerks taking advantage of a bad situation to gouge people on prices for other things.

I first noticed it when a slime ball posted 250 rounds of cheapo Russian steel cased .223/5.56 for .50 cents a round.

I'd be in favor of a thread devoted to exposing the price gougers on the PX and letting us all "enjoy" their shenanigans, followed by a 30 day time out.

Honestly, idgaf. Demand and supply. If you are looking for ammo right now, you did it to yourself. I understand shooting ammo up and needing to replace, but just wait a month or three, or pay the prices if you think we will never see good priced ammo again.

if some dude stacked 50k rounds and selling at a profit, good, but maybe his ads are overpriced and he won’t sell any, good. Panic buys make you money if you bought low, i can’t knock someone who is able to do it

Maybe a 30 day time out is in order for those price-fixing shit

Or if they got a link stuck on the top of the post that they couldn't edit that says, well here is what it goes for normally. If you want to get price gouged, go ahead but if you can wait, here is what it actually should cost you.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
I still don't see it. They want to sell their property, set a price. And you don't like it because you and someone other like minded folks call it "price gouging" yet it has no effect on you whatsoever if someone else deems it a price worth paying. You're not involved at all except you read the ad and felt the price was high and high enough to deem it "gouging".

Can we start with a definition of what "gouging" is?
I'm with you most of the way, but...........taken further (maybe not to an extreme, but further), the same sentiment could be applied to (as an example) medical supplies that could have a direct impact on saving lives. In that context, gouging for ammo, q-tips, tampons, barbecue sauce or medical supplies is just kind of a shit thing to do. Or, some have called it "profiteering from a crisis". Kinda like our politicians dumping stock right after being privately briefed on the "crisis". Still, a shit thing to do.

Tell us what you think after 10 years + and helping a few brothers out when stuff is rough for them.

Then you get what this place is about, the community.

Guys here recently raised almost 6k for a member who had a devastating home fire.
Others showed up and helped him cut trees in his backyard.
Hear fuckin' Hear E !!!!

Tell us what you think after 10 years + and helping a few brothers out when stuff is rough for them.

Then you get what this place is about, the community.

Guys here recently raised almost 6k for a member who had a devastating home fire.
Others showed up and helped him cut trees in his backyard.

Yep. This right here. We don't go looking for no accolades for what we do, and most of it is done behind the scenes anyhow, but @powdahound76 is spot on to a fault on this. WE DON'T FUCK OUR PEOPLE OVER. WE HELP THEM! It's what this Community is about.

Hi,

Well...since someone mentioned definition of price gouging....that is pretty simple when a Federal State of Emergency has been declared. Each State has different thresholds but typically when price is 10-15% higher than average prices over the previous 6 months before the Emergency Declaration.

And before anyone says Price Gouging per State of Emergency Declarations do not apply to individuals.....you are wrong.

Sincerely,
Theis

I have no dog in this fight but capitalism is great until,... some are late to the party, and are on the buying end at the same time? Then Capitalism is just flat out wrong,...is that about right?

About the first cogent, lucid thing he's said in ten years

• Haha
Reactions: Bender and 1J04
Hi,

Well...since someone mentioned definition of price gouging....that is pretty simple when a Federal State of Emergency has been declared. Each State has different thresholds but typically when price is 10-15% higher than average prices over the previous 6 months before the Emergency Declaration.

And before anyone says Price Gouging per State of Emergency Declarations do not apply to individuals.....you are wrong.

Sincerely,
Theis
Those laws should be struck. Who is the government to tell sellers what they should charge?

Those laws should be struck. Who is the government to tell sellers what they should charge?

Way to get the point....

1585165752285.png

Reactions: Low catalina
So I take it no one else capitalized on the 3rd Gen Shooter's Supply 30% off Inventory reduction sale 2 months ago? I thought the Obummer administration had us all trained to avoid the panic ammo buying BS. Am I the only one that learned something over the last 12 years? Let the assholes exploit the people who cannot plan ahead, just immortalize their behavior for everyone to see when the sales margins get thin, then you can indulge your schadenfreude and watch them starve when there's ample product on the shelves and no one will buy from them.

I may be wrong, but the complaints I'm reading about here are what people are doing on this forum not "out there" and I think many of us feel a sense of community by participating here and it just doesn't pass the smell test, in spite of the little pious lectures we are getting, "Why does it bother you? Don't pay it if you don't want it"

I think the emotional reaction to the jerks around here trying to screw fellow Hide members on prices reflects a sense of community that is equally outraged as are our communities if we see jerks taking advantage of a bad situation to gouge people on prices for other things.

I first noticed it when a slime ball posted 250 rounds of cheapo Russian steel cased .223/5.56 for .50 cents a round.

I'd be in favor of a thread devoted to exposing the price gougers on the PX and letting us all "enjoy" their shenanigans, followed by a 30 day time out.

Fuck I hate agreeing with you. Makes me feel like I need a bath.....or a drink of likker.