• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Home Brew

W8-2112

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2014
OCONUS
Ladie & Gents,

I am a man of many skills and one of them is make a damn good "Home Brew."

Who else enjoys a good home brew while they clean, repair, or just play with there firearms?

We make our own wine here, but have always found the concept of other things to be mighty curious. Made beer once, years ago. They all exploded from their bottles, and since I'm not much of a beer fan, never went back.

Currently I am in the desert, so not much tapped. However I have a hard cider, aussie pale ale, a honey wheat all kegged and sitting in the fridge. I will post a pic of the fridge as soon as i can work out the issue with my phone and laptop. case where the phone is smarter than the computer.

Currently I am in the desert, so not much tapped. However I have a hard cider, aussie pale ale, a honey wheat all kegged and sitting in the fridge. I will post a pic of the fridge as soon as i can work out the issue with my phone and laptop. case where the phone is smarter than the computer.

All sound delicious especially that honey wheat. I havent made the leap into kegging yet as I bottle instead. I have a handful of IPA's, lagers and a few experimental recipes. All in all I have about 9 different recipes on hand for around 13 gallons of amazing home brew.

Home brewing is something that I plan to try after I retire. A friend that home brews got me into "Craft" beer. His Brown Ale won a few awards at the local level, a few times. I really like to hear about what you guys are making, keep up the good work. Lightman

Home brewing is something that I plan to try after I retire. A friend that home brews got me into "Craft" beer. His Brown Ale won a few awards at the local level, a few times. I really like to hear about what you guys are making, keep up the good work. Lightman

I have been into IPA and ales lately, so far my favorite beer I have brewed that I have been urged and also considered entering into local events is an IPA that I fermenate with bourbon soaked oak chips, it is a fan favorite.

I keep checking this thread once in a while, just to see when ya'll are going to start talking about the brew that you do, by the light of the moon. That, is when it will get really interesting.

HA.

My kegerator is getting light, just a Wit and a cider I'm about to run out of. Cold crashing an APA now, should be ready in a week. Have a bourbon-vanilla imperial porter that should be amazing in about 2-3 weeks if the tastes so far are any indication.

Sean I also saw this thread and read it curious if it was about brew the did or didn't light on fire!

Just because you can use my "hard cider" as rocket fuel doesn't mean anything. I do believe thats how it got the nickname "dash gas". Seriously its about 10-12%, more like an apple wine. I just like to go for the "fire for effect".

Just because you can use my "hard cider" as rocket fuel doesn't mean anything. I do believe thats how it got the nickname "dash gas". Seriously its about 10-12%, more like an apple wine. I just like to go for the "fire for effect".

I like your style, I try to keep all of my brews above 8 but secretly always aim for 10%. I figure since I use 24oz bottles, one home brew is equal to almost a six pack of domestic crap, lol. Party on

I used to brew my own beer; haven't in a while though. Made a mash tub out of an old cooler 100ft of copper tubing. I need to get back into it.

I've been brewing since I was 12 - my grandpa was a bootlegger during prohibition and never quite gave it up, so he brewed beer and taught me how,... I haven't brewed a batch in over a year, but have a boat-load of equipment and gadgets: refractometer, mash-tun, carboys, wort chiller, numerous kettles, temp control, kegs, gas manifold, tanks, beer-gun, bottle-capper,... a library of brewing books,... plus other stuff I can't think of,... Oh! and Beersmith! You gotta love Beersmith! I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking to get into brewing - it's the bomb!

Ry

I am about to place an order for my next batch but can't decide looking for a "Blue Moon" taste, any ideas?

I am about to place an order for my next batch but can't decide looking for a "Blue Moon" taste, any ideas?

It's not my recipe, but it looks like a pretty good Belgian Wit, check it out:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Belgian Wit, WLP400
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 14
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

This seems to be a popular beer people like to brew and it's probably one of the best beers I've ever brewed - everyone loved it! It's AHS's recipe. I can't take any credit for it.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
3.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 30.0 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (45 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.18 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.18 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.35 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Profile
Name: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Mash Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F S
parge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 3.79 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 10.00 qt of water at 131.1 F 122.0 F 30 min
Saccrification Add 7.00 qt of water at 208.0 F 154.0 F 30 min
Mash Out Direct Heat to 168.0 F over 2 min 168.0 F 10 min

It's not my recipe, but it looks like a pretty good Belgian Wit, check it out:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Belgian Wit, WLP400
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 14
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

This seems to be a popular beer people like to brew and it's probably one of the best beers I've ever brewed - everyone loved it! It's AHS's recipe. I can't take any credit for it.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
3.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 30.0 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (45 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.18 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.18 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.35 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat