• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Home made moa base?

Ron Long

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Washington
How many beers do I need to drink to get enough shims to raise the back of my two piece base to get 20-30 moa? I was going to start on 3, but has anyone ever tried to shim the back of the scope to get more range out of a scope?

Re: Home made moa base?

You really should not do that...

Shimming the rear of a 2 piece base means the tube alignment is no longer on the same plane and you will damage your scope. Also with that mis-alignment, your scope will not properly mount & POI will not be repeatable.

Very quick MS Paint mock up, but the top one is what you are asking about & bad ... while the bottom one is proper & good.

Scope_Base.jpg

Re: Home made moa base?

I ask this as I believe there are people, some who read this forum, who are doing just this type of thing. I have tried to tell them this is NOT a good thing, but I am the funny old beer drinking guy who doesn't know shit. Thank you for the explanation. While drinking it made such good sense. To some I am sure it still will.