• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Home protection Rifle

Re: Home protection Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If I am wrong I am wrong, but I can't correct my ignorance without positive data to replace it. </div></div>

Here is the problem with the HD argument.

First, folks want a black and white answer. The world is NOT black and white. It's varying shades of gray splattered with blood red.

If someone asks me in person what they should get for a home defense weapon, I automatically answer it with a series of questions. Most of the time the person is asking me because they have little firearms experience and are confused by the vast array of choices at the gun counter. For those folks ballistics don't matter. Magazine capacity doesn't matter. In fact the courtroom doesn't even matter because in order to make it to that stage you have to first survive the violent encounter. For them I usually suggest a .38 or .357 revolver. This is also actually my "last line" weapon because they are inexpensive, easily stashed and when you are broken and bleeding they are easy to jam in the gut and pull the trigger until it goes "click".

Now if a service member is asking me the same question, almost 99.99% of the time if they have had any exposure to the M16 family of weapons, I suggest a light AR with a weapon light. They already have some familiarity with the weapon and a long gun WILL be more accurate than a pistol even in close quarters. I have seen this time and time again in force on force training. The AR is a simple weapon to operate and if a quality example is bought and quality ammunition used, the chances of a malfunction are extremely low. If the homeowner decides on an AR I highly suggest that they take a basic carbine class to familiarize themselves with clearing malfunctions and drills that the military tends to miss.

If the homeowner is a hunter and has a couple good shotguns laying about, then the answer is extremely simple. Load up some reduced recoil 00 buck and roll. It's a proven manstopper, won't thump your shoulder and in reality some of the monster 3" loads guys like just aren't necessary. If the shotgun is an autoloader then the chosen defensive load should be verified for function. Patterning can be done but really at CQB distances a cylinder bore is still going to be very tight. If the shotgun is a pump I suggest that the operator knows how to clear a double feed and that they get some dummy shells or spend some quality time every couple of weeks blowing some birdshot through it. Folks have been known to short-stroke pumps under stress. I have done it when I push for maximum speed on the scattergun.

Do you have a house full of kids that you may need to round up? Then a pistol may be a better choice. It's a lot easier to manipulate a flashlight, lightswitch, doorknob, etc. with a pistol than with a shotgun or rifle. Carrying younguns is also easier with a one handed blaster.

Now we come to the crux of the problem. Every alpha male likes to see themselves as the action hero flowing through the house and getting the drop on the badguy. The cold hard truth is it takes a professional more than a year of steady training before they become comfortable and proficient in clearing a house in a team environment. As an individual it is an almost impossible task. SWAT teams train to never go into a room alone. How many team members will you have at 0-dark-thirty to clear your house?

Walk through your house tonight and find the choke point between the entry and the bedrooms. That is your Thermopylae. That is where you need to be able to cover and prevent anyone from passing. You don't need to go protect your TV or your XBox. You need to protect living bodies. If you live in an apartment, then make sure you can quickly barricade the door to the bedroom and make a stand there. Have access to a land line and a cell phone. If you call 911 by cell the first thing out of your mouth should be the address. That way if something happens before you can explain the problem the po-po are rolling to you. Cell phone callers suck at this and very frequently a hot run comes in and police have to spend an hour trying to figure out where in the several square miles around a cell tower the call actually came from.

If you decide that you are too much of a man to bunker in place or your stuff is worth more than your life, then you need to get some professional training on close quarters battle with your chosen weapon. I would also suggest you invest in some armor and make sure your insurance policy is paid. Home invaders are getting better armed. Even a ratty stolen SKS can do a number on you, your Galls used body armor and your pile of Tactical Gear.

In the end it's not about what you choose. It's about how you choose to use it and how proficient you are with executing the plan. No plan survives first contact, so have a contingency for that.

Lastly, everyone worries about the legal aspects. To get to the legal aspects you have to SURVIVE THE ENCOUNTER. I am not an attorney and I don't profess to know all the legal precedents set around the country regarding lethal force encounters. I can tell you I am not aware of a single legitimate burglary/home invasion in my area where a homeowner has shot and seriously injured the criminal and been successfully sued OR charged with a crime. By legitimate I mean drugs were not involved and the criminal did not have a prior relationship with the "victim". I don't know offhand what states still have a "duty to retreat" law on the books. Most have gone the other way and enacted "castle doctrine". This basically states that you may legally assume that someone breaking into your residence intends to do you bodily harm and you may defend yourself up to and including lethal force. Some states have extended this to occupied vehicles and businesses. In either case, if you remember that lethal force is only to be used to prevent serious bodily harm to you or another and is a last resort, then you have done all you can. At that point AK or grandpops H&R isn't going to matter.

Civil litigation is a whole nother ball of wax and anyone can be sued for anything. Hire a good lawyer and know that you did the right thing. Some states have laws to prevent a lawsuit in the event the shooting was justified. Some lawsuits can be shot down rather quickly. Only you and your lawyer will be able to make an accurate determination on how to proceed based on your specific situation.

A shooting is messy. There isn't any way to make it all "skittles and sunshine". The political climate of where you live will have bearing on how the investigation goes.

If you are involved in a self defense shooting in your home, you may be handcuffed. You will be questioned. Your weapon will be seized. You may be made to feel like a criminal instead of a victim. It's not on purpose it's just the way it goes. This is where that "last resort" thing comes in. If you KNOW it was you or them, then there is no turmoil. You will know that you did what you had to do to continue to breath or to protect your family. If you shot someone because you were worried they were going to steal your TV, you may experience a little more stress.

You may always invoke your Miranda Rights and remain silent when questioned. Depending on the circumstances this may be a good idea until you have spoken with a lawyer. However this also may lead to you being placed under arrest and charged. If the detectives can't gather enough information to determine if the shooting was justified then you may find yourself in custody until you and your lawyer can talk to a judge. I have a lawyer I can contact 24/7 if I am involved in a lethal force situation. It's one of the perks of my professional organization. It may be a good idea to seek out a lawyer and spend some money for his advice before you find yourself in this type of situation.

As you can see, there isn't a simple "get a shotgun" type answer. I could tell you to get a belt-fed machine gun, but it doesn't prepare you for the situation any more than a baseball bat.

We can talk ballistics all day long. Gelatin blocks are cool. So is blowing up wallboard. However it's not a block of gel that's going to break into your house, rape your dog, kill your wife and steal your TV. It's easy to kill a human. It's hard to kill them fast. Learning to do it can take a lifetime. How long that is, is up to you.

What I use for HD is immaterial. Everything I have at my disposal I have trained with extensively. Not many folks are in the same boat. </div></div>

This is some great shit. Much appreciated.

But I have one change that I'd like to add (hopefully without starting a shitstorm).

If you are involved in a SD shooting, REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES, speak to a lawyer BEFORE you say a word to the police.

All is takes is one shitty prosecutor to really put a cramp in your style for a very long time, costing a shitload of money, and perhaps leading to your loss of freedom.

NEVER talk to the po-po without a lawyer. Ever. Anyone who does deserves everything they get.

We have a right to remain silent for a reason. Exercise it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever weapon I advocate, one thing a bad guy freaks over is a dog in the darkness. He doesn't know if the dog is mean or a pussy. He does know there's a 99% chance the dog woke you up and now he has another unknown....what are you armed with?

With all due respect, I understand a lot of people can't have dogs. Either where they live or are alergic to them. If you can it's worth it. Mine have woken me up a few times to 'square things away'.

And, FWIW, Lonewolf, excellent statement of having a plan to execute and a backup as the 'plan' never goes according to the 'plan'. </div></div>

^^THIS^^

No weapon is better than a dog. At first whiff of a dog, he's gone.

UN believable how long this thread went on.

Common sense should come into play at some time or another. If you have to ask what weapon to use for a certain task than I say "your not ready". If you don't have the knowledge of what tool to use for the job then go buy a dog and some Ol Roy's. Its safer for us all.
I'm just looking at reality and not some Hollywood scene.

But whatever you do...make sure you have a damn trigger job done....sheeesh.

Tell ya what OP, you want a high speed low drag AR to defend your house, or mom's basement, whichever....? LWRC complete rifle, yank the barrel, put a 10.5" DD hammer forged 7 twist barrel (if you can find one) in place (which requires SBR registry) trash the trigger, put a Wilson Combat short reset single stage trigger in, AAC can, Aimpoint M4, surefire light, a custom Krylon job, and rock on. You seem to not need everyone's help. If the "perp" ties you up, rapes you while your $3000 AR rig lays beside you, and puts a video of it on YouTube because you can't handle the rifle as it was intended, don't post your complaints here!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell ya what OP, you want a high speed low drag AR to defend your house, or mom's basement, whichever....? LWRC complete rifle, yank the barrel, put a 10.5" DD hammer forged 7 twist barrel (if you can find one) in place (which requires SBR registry) trash the trigger, put a Wilson Combat short reset single stage trigger in, AAC can, Aimpoint M4, surefire light, a custom Krylon job, and rock on. You seem to not need everyone's help. If the "perp" ties you up, rapes you while your $3000 AR rig lays beside you, and puts a video of it on YouTube because you can't handle the rifle as it was intended, don't post your complaints here! </div></div>

Well at least you stopped cussing. I am proud of you. Now you see how easy it is to communicate without being vulgar. You are still making assumptions that you really know nothing about. But at least you are trying to communicate.

The next phase of communication is reading what people write. Where I told you I lived in a farm house in the middle of 300 acres. Where you interpolated mother's basement from that is pretty tough for me to figure out?? But if it makes you feel better than that is OK with me. Have a nice day, and work a little more on your communication skills. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell ya what OP, you want a high speed low drag AR to defend your house, or mom's basement, whichever....? LWRC complete rifle, yank the barrel, put a 10.5" DD hammer forged 7 twist barrel (if you can find one) in place (which requires SBR registry) trash the trigger, put a Wilson Combat short reset single stage trigger in, AAC can, Aimpoint M4, surefire light, a custom Krylon job, and rock on. You seem to not need everyone's help. If the "perp" ties you up, rapes you while your $3000 AR rig lays beside you, and puts a video of it on YouTube because you can't handle the rifle as it was intended, don't post your complaints here! </div></div>

Well at least you stopped cussing. I am proud of you. Now you see how easy it is to communicate without being vulgar. You are still making assumptions that you really know nothing about. But at least you are trying to communicate.

The next phase of communication is reading what people write. Where I told you I lived in a farm house in the middle of 300 acres. Where you interpolated mother's basement from that is pretty tough for me to figure out?? But if it makes you feel better than that is OK with me. Have a nice day, and work a little more on your communication skills. Tom.
</div></div>
I read the entire thread before ever posting (each time). That doesn't make it any less of a disaster or you any less of an idiot for not taking the advice given. I won't sit and argue with you like most, but will suggest that you take the information given thus far and put it to good use. I highly doubt that anyone will sneak up on you in the middle of 300 acres, so your best home defense weapon is probably going to be a door lock. If it makes you feel better to have a HSLD AR-15, then by all means get one, hell get two or three in case of a zombie attack, but don't ask for advice then complain because it isn't what you wanted. A lot of these guys have used the weapons they suggested in live combat, hence the reason they suggested them. as far as the "vulgarities" in this thread, if you don't want to see them, don't look... good luck with whatever you get

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mossy or Remmy pump S/G loaded w/#8 shot.
Remember, that EVERY round you fire in a civi-SD shooting IS a lawsuit at the very least,OR jail time at the worst.BTDT!
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>
Unless its in the head, #8 shot will also guarantee a law suit unless they'r real skinny. Dont *uck around with it its for clay birds and doves. If a shotgun is chosen go 000buck or higher an of course if it hits its hard to beat a slug.

I have a Dutch Sheperd as my main deterent. Past that, my 45. The best defense in your home is to deter the person from ever entering, and a large dog (a couple in my case) is the best way to do that.

This thread is fascinating to me. An attack will come either with or without warning. For without warning scenarios a Smith & Wesson 642 in your pocket might make you feel properly prepared. For scenarios with warning, choosing any firearm that makes the most sense, considering the environment, to assure the desired outcome might be wise. If you've got the budget, buy what's perceived best for each scenario you've conjured. If that's not possible, use your brain to determine what accommodates the compromise.

I've generally maintained that I'd prefer a 20ga semi for home defense.

Was handling a 20ga 11-87 youth gun at Dick's yesterday, and its compact, lightweight package made good sense to me.

Rem and Fed (and probably others), load buck rounds with 20-ish pellets of #3 or #4 buck. I would sure hate to be facing a bang's worth or two of them coming my way down a narrow hallway.

I think it's enough gun, and I think having much more gun may even be counterproductive.

20ga rifles slugs work great for deer, and are rather well suited to avoid overpenetration.

...and you don't need to do any sillybugger handgun paperwork, either.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever weapon I advocate, one thing a bad guy freaks over is a dog in the darkness.</div></div>

Not necessarily. A lot of people assume that whomever is going to break into their house or do something to them is a total stranger but that's not always the case. Oftentimes the guy who breaks into your garage and steals your tools is someone who has been to your house (clean out the gutters, friend of a friend, etc) and chances are he made buddies with the dog while he was there casing the place.

Also, if you have a "party house" where people are always coming and going the dog probably won't give a shit when people come in at 2am and snoop around. I know of one house where I went to party all the time in College where the owner was proud of his huge pitbull dog and how it was a great guard dog. Well when his house got robbed they took the dog too.

So if you have a dog that's a guard dog which actually barks at people that's great but they don't work all the time.

</div></div>

I think in the situations you give, it could be true that a dog is everyone 'buddy', and can be gotten past without the owner knowing.
However, I don't run a party house and I know who comes to my house. Most of my friends don't run party houses either and those that have dogs aren't the type to allow the dog to be 'mastered' by everyone. They know their manners but are not mastered. My dog is somewhat like you describe. He looks all ferocious at first but as soon as the newness wears off from people, which for him is about 5 minutes. He wants to sit right next to them and get petted. He has, and will every time, bark and let me know someone is there. Also, both he and his mother have scared away would be thieves. Even when our cars were parked out front and my wife and I were asleep in our bedroom in the opposite side of the house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some missed the point .....

after any shooting/home invasion the gun gets confiscated.....

the media comes and do some ambush journalism on the home owner.....and always ALWAYS try to get the good guy to look bad.....

"why did you murder that young thug with an assault rifle?"

seen it happen here in Dallas........

so.......................do you want your $2,000.00 ar15dotcom special locked up in the pokie for however long.....?

or do you just go trot on down to the walmart and get a new 870 synthetic and call it good at $479.00 replacement ? </div></div>

So let me get this straight. When your life is on the line, you will deliberatly grab an inferior weapon because your mind is already on the post shooting events? </div></div>

Good luck to all you guys with your tricked out AR's. After considering that the media, prosecution and jury will have a field day with your assault rifle, I have concluded that a 12 gauge with a light and training to be proficient with it is my best option.

Since when is a pump 12 gauge an "inferior" weapon? That's one of the most ignorant statements I've heard in a long time. And yes, thinking about the consequences of your actions before it happens sounds like an intelligent thing to do.

So push on with your tacticool AR's, two-stage triggers and good luck in court.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good luck to all you guys with your tricked out AR's. After considering that the media, prosecution and jury will have a field day with your assault rifle, I have concluded that a 12 gauge with a light and training to be proficient with it is my best option.

Since when is a pump 12 gauge an "inferior" weapon? That's one of the most ignorant statements I've heard in a long time. And yes, thinking about the consequences of your actions before it happens sounds like an intelligent thing to do.

So push on with your tacticool AR's, two-stage triggers and good luck in court.</div></div>

Can you cite any cases in which someone was clearly justified in his use of deadly force, but was convicted because of the type of weapon he carried? I've looked and I can't find any.

Gary Fadden killed a guy in self defense with an AC556 (full auto mini-14). It went to trial because the prosecutor was an ass but there was no case against him and he was acquitted after a few days.

If you are that concerned, maybe you should move somewhere with Castle Doctrine and immunity from civil prosecution for justified defensive shoots.

I'm actually not saying that a shotgun is a bad choice, I don't think it is at all. I just don't get all the AR-hate.

I have used both enough to know which one is better in a self defence situation for me. The Marines trained me more towards the AR than a 12GA, and perhaps your training was more 12GA based. To each their own, but my experience with both leads me to believe they are not even close. I will not try an convince you. I have seen threads like these for years, and everyone has their mind made up already as do I.

Even without a reachable AR, I would go for a pistol long before a 12GA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So push on with your tacticool AR's, two-stage triggers and good luck in court.</div></div>

Can you cite any cases in which someone was clearly justified in his use of deadly force, but was convicted because of the type of weapon he carried? I've looked and I can't find any.

Gary Fadden killed a guy in self defense with an AC556 (full auto mini-14). It went to trial because the prosecutor was an ass but there was no case against him and he was acquitted after a few days.

If you are that concerned, maybe you should move somewhere with Castle Doctrine and immunity from civil prosecution for justified defensive shoots.

I'm actually not saying that a shotgun is a bad choice, I don't think it is at all. I just don't get all the AR-hate. </div></div>

Never said I hate the AR, and I probably base my feelings on the fact that NY has no Castle Doctrine. It's apparent in NY that protecting one's self and family in their home is not as important as determining if one was justified in doing so.

i use a 116 pound pitbull.... and if that fails my shotgun will not....
+1 for shotgun & home defense

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used both enough to know which one is better in a self defence situation for me. The Marines trained me more towards the AR than a 12GA, and perhaps your training was more 12GA based. To each their own, but my experience with both leads me to believe they are not even close. I will not try an convince you. I have seen threads like these for years, and everyone has their mind made up already as do I.

Even without a reachable AR, I would go for a pistol long before a 12GA.

</div></div>

As a Marine your primary weapon and training is based on the AR, is it not? It would make sense that most of your training consisted of more of an offensive type weapon.

You are correct, they are not close by any stretch. A shotgun is a short-range, defensive weapon.

The last thing you should be thinking about when defending yourself is how someone else might perceive your choice of accessories afterward. From a baseball bat to an AR to running away, do what you'll be able to do effectively to survive.

Hard to beat a SG in close I'm sure but to say the AR is no good for it is rediculous. Our Marines and soldiers are useing m4's (or varients) to clear rooms all over the middle east right now and doing it quite well I might add......and thats a fact.

BTW, many weapons (rifles, pistols and SG's) are used in both offensive and defensive roles, thats a non issue.

okie

My home protection rifle is a 14" Remy 870 (5 shells of 00) with SureFire forend.

Why the shotgun instead of the AR15 300 Whisper SBR?

Because I'm not the only one who may need to use it and the MOA on a pump is a lot easier for the wife than the AR15.

It's kept empty chamber slide unlocked and has a Vang safety on it so she can grab, rack and even if she forgets the safety, it comes off as she tries to fire the gun automatically.

Yes, I'm one of those fools that thinks the sound of a 12GA racking will have an effect on the BG. Just as the dog barking will. Just as a laser has on every dirtbag I've pointed one at has.

Most likely I'm going to defend any break in with the Sig P228 and 6P light next to the bed anyway, but if time permits, the shot 870 is a nice option.

The AR is wonderful at tactical entry and room-clearing. But I gather that the OP that started the thread is not trained in either. If he is then I apologize in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last thing you should be thinking about when defending yourself is how someone else might perceive your choice of accessories afterward. From a baseball bat to an AR to running away, do what you'll be able to do effectively to survive.

</div></div>

If my life is in danger I will use a kitchen pan if I feel it gives me an advantage. But knowing that NY politics view semi-auto rifles (assault weapons by liberal definition)as weapons of destruction with no useful purpose for the common citizen, I will keep a 12 gauge for the purpose of home defense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">geez, I go on a 3 day field trip with my 10 yr old and I miss all of this??? I'm gonna have to get one of those smart phones to keep up.</div></div>

You will like it. I love mine. Be on Snipers Hide all the time...... JMO

Wow, this thread has really wandered off the OP's question. Its a free country but to get back to the original point -- assuming you are still (after reading all the thoughts about shotguns, pistols and dogs) in the running for an AR in .223, the answer is that any of the modern quality manufacturers make a product both in your price range and suitable for your intended use. Rock River, DPMS, and about 10 other brands are available. Which one you get will depend in part on what your local dealer stocks. I've never been an Internet gun buyer since I prefer to hold/fondle/examine before spending money, but that's just me. As for buying a complete rifle vs. build-your-own, that is largely a function of (a) your knowledge or willingness to learn, and (b) your interest in working on your own. I know guys who do lots of shooting but don't even clean their own guns. Other guys love sitting at the table for hours cleaning and tinkering. If you have the interest and time, do your own build.

Now, since you supplemented your OP with more info on your situation (rural, no neighbors, coyotes off the cows), and if you aren't really into doing your own build, I would just go out and buy a Ruger Mini-14 in .223 and be done with it. The new ones are accurate and there are a lot of smiths who can do whatever you want with the trigger (you didn't say two-stage, one-stage, light and short vs long and firm etc).

I keep an AR in the corner of our bedroom, loaded mag, chamber empty, safe off. It takes basicly no effort & time to chamber a round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">claymores are best for home defense, put on some speaker covers and knobs to make it look like a cheap radio and set it on a table by the front door </div></div>

and the minefield in the front yard, need to protect for those zombie invasions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep an AR in the corner of our bedroom, loaded mag, chamber empty, safe off. It takes basicly no effort & time to chamber a round.</div></div>

So if you hear a bump in the night while in bed, assuming the bump awakened you, you'll be ready, right? What about an attack that comes about during the day, when you're somewhere other than in the bedroom? Remember, getting to a gun requires warning, without warning, you'll need a gun which is handy enough to keep in a pocket.

One thing you people forgot to mention is that it is also illegal (well at least in GA) too shoot some one just because they are in your house. They have to be armed or pose a threat to your life. So don't just think "whooo look at me im tacticool with my new tricked out AR or shotgun" that your going to just blast any fool that walks through your door.

That being said. How many of you have had a home invasion? Well I have. I can tell you first hand that even a 6'4" african american gentleman will shake like leaf and almost come to tears when you have a long gun pointed at him. He was very compliant and cooperative to say the least
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep an AR in the corner of our bedroom, loaded mag, chamber empty, safe off. It takes basicly no effort & time to chamber a round.</div></div>

So if you hear a bump in the night while in bed, assuming the bump awakened you, you'll be ready, right? What about an attack that comes about during the day, when you're somewhere other than in the bedroom? Remember, getting to a gun requires warning, without warning, you'll need a gun which is handy enough to keep in a pocket. </div></div>

When it happened to me I was on the can. I had never pulled UP my pants and ran to my bedroom faster in my life. At the time all I had was my 22-250 24" Rem 700. cycled the bolt chambering a 45gr varmint round with 4 still in the magwell. came out of my room and he was at the top of the stairs. I was only about 15 feet away from him. Raised my rifle and I said "What the fuck are you doing in my house!" his hands went straight into the air and he said "please don't shoot me man". Sat his ass on the couch and called 911 and let the cops screw it up from there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">home protection rifle is called a shotgun

just sayin </div></div>

if we all listened to boltripper the first time there would be far fewer threads like this one... I think i learned that on my very first post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for an AR-15 for a home protection rifle. I believe I want a short barrel(16"), and a collapsible stock. I want to leave the rifle with open sights, so I am not concerned if it is a flat top or not. I really don't need a flat top.

I am looking for a light weight rifle in general. The most important accessory I want is a great trigger. The rifle must have a great triger. I will probably do some off hand shooting out to 200 yards with this rifle, so I want a great trigger.

Other than upgrading the trigger I am just looking for a well functioning rifle. No need for an expensive rifle or a custom rifle. But as stated above, I want to make sure it has a great trigger.

Should I buy the upper and lower separately?? What trigger's should I be looking at?? Any recommendations for a complete rifle?? Then send the lower off for a trigger upgrade?? Send to who??

I would like to keep the total price below $1,000 if I can. Even a little lower if possible. I would like an accurate rifle. But it does not have to be a tack driver. All my shooting will be off hand practice and home defense.

I like the idea of ordering a better grade lower so if I want to buy upgraded upper's in the future I will have a great lower to put the new upper on. Can I buy a realy nice lower from a builder for a decent price?? How much for one with an upgraded trigger?? Thanks, Tom.
</div></div>

Cabellas is selling out S&W M&P-15's at $600.00 each, nothing fancy about them just your average no frills AR-15 in 5.56mm NATO chambering.
this is a great deal so grab one ASAP !!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep an AR in the corner of our bedroom, loaded mag, chamber empty, safe off. It takes basicly no effort & time to chamber a round.</div></div>

So if you hear a bump in the night while in bed, assuming the bump awakened you, you'll be ready, right? What about an attack that comes about during the day, when you're somewhere other than in the bedroom? Remember, getting to a gun requires warning, without warning, you'll need a gun which is handy enough to keep in a pocket. </div></div>

Everyone has his or her own idea of things and each persons house has a different lay-out. For us, it makes the best sense to have it right where it's at. We have a very small house and you aren't coming in any door without some sort of sign of entry.

But yes SS ,I do get your point and when we move to a different area and house lay-out we will re-think things. But for now, what we have works for us.

Todd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Everyone has his or her own idea of things and each persons house has a different lay-out. For us, it makes the best sense to have it right where it's at...

...what we have works for us.
</div></div>

What I find funny about these threads are the number of folks that won't get what you just said. "Do what works for you" regardless of what that is, and fuck what anyone else thinks.

Even if you've been a victim before you're no more qualified to predict how the next event will go down than someone who's experience comes from watching "Cops". The differentiator is that they were able to think and react under pressure, and had absolutely <span style="font-style: italic">nothing </span>to do with their choice of weapon.

You will either direct the outcome or allow it to direct you.

Hell if someone gets in my place it won't necessarily be a bullet that ruins their day. At a minimum they will surely regret ever meeting me whether I'm holding something or not.

sr15match,

I hope you're keeping your head down and the pointy end forward
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aces&Eights</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">home protection rifle is called a shotgun

just sayin </div></div>

if we all listened to boltripper the first time there would be far fewer threads like this one... I think i learned that on my very first post. </div></div>

Ya, Boltripper...one T....has been quite entertaining, but I'll definitely agree with that statement: shotgun with buckshot....nuff said.

My brother retired as a SEAL after twenty years and once told me a not-so-funny story about one of his fellow SEALs who experienced a home invasion. As it turned out, it was just his dumbshit, drunk roomate who lost his keys and broke a window to get in the house. The instructional part is his not-drunk SEAL roomie was prone at the top of the stairs in wait of the "felon" .....with a shotgun.

The whole I idea of using a rifle is kind of dumb if you ask me. If you are really experiencing the type of attack where you actually have to act to protect yourself there is a good chance you won’t have time to get out a rifle or shot gun. The best idea is to get a handgun and a concealed carry license. I have an AR-15 and that’s what I would use if I had time. NY state kind of sucks with hand guns exactly, although the judge in my county does issue lifetime concealed carry licenses to anyone who passes a test.

when I'm at home and not deployed; for home protection I have a Loaded 4 inch SS Springfield 1911 on the night stand next to the bed. I'm pretty confident I could scare off any intruders.

my recommendation is dual wielding Taurus Judges with 410 shells LOL. Great home defense package

To the OP, A BCM 14.5 or 16 inch rifle is hard to beat for the quality/price. Or you could buy a standard upper from BCM, add a bolt carrier, charging handle,handgaurd, and a rear sight and slap it on a lower from your local gun shop and still be under $1,000 for a reliable HD/coyote rifle... The debating should have been over after LoneWolfUSMC's explanation.
wink.gif

For a casual plinker the s&w on sale at Cabelas right not will be hard to beat. It is actually a pretty good rifle. The OP could spend more and get a better AR but it sounds like he doesn't need a top end rifle.

Jim

Nothing wrong with the S&W, but for a few dollars more....
I wish I had done my research before I bought my Stag. It has been a great little rifle, but I put together a middy from BCM with a stag lower for $850.00, 200 bucks more Than I paid for the Stag. Just makes sense to get the most out of your hard earned dollars!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on scatter gun...I choose the M4. </div></div>

LOL! Im with nr6, thats my kinda scattergun.

okie