• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Home set up for changing barrels on bolt actions with limited space

elmuzzlebreak

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2018
Okay Hide, I am putting together my work bench to be able to work on AR and Bolt rifles. Currently I have a sturdy table and a bench vise. I am starting to look at getting an impact and with the idea of being able to do barrel changes at home I was looking at the short action customs barrel vise. What are some good alternatives for barrel vises and what are the must haves?

Viper vice or pma vice, both around 60 bucks and all you would need for an impact.

The sac looks like an awesome tool but overkill for just screwing on prefits.

Reactions: Cjm3994
+1 on viper
891D92E5-12EE-470E-9DD8-1E9C86A3B3A5.png

Reactions: Kane0519
I just went over to SAC's website to examine their bbl vise - jeez, I think that's just what I've been looking for. Pretty expensive, but I've worn my Viper vise out by using it to remove factory bbls, which it was never designed to do. Anyone here have any experience with the SAC vise?

I grabbed a “Ross vice “ from a member here for doing prefit/remage changes 1-3 times a year it’s perfect for someone like me a hobbyist who needs it every now and then and dosent need something as robust as the sac I think I paid $80 shipped to me the big selling point for me was the two 1/2” drive holes broached in for a torque wrench so I can use it bench mounted or on the breaker bar I’ll have to see if I can find a link but you should check them out

Reactions: Hank Fabich jr.
I've never heard of the viper so I'll make sure to look into those. The biggest thing with SAC is the price point and judging from the cost on the viper I should be able to still do what I have to.

Reactions: Olen_4504
Doesn't look like it's available any more, but I've had one of these for years and it's worked great....even on factory Remington barrels.

mudpig - that vise is practically identical to the Donaldson bbl vise I bought from an old BR shooter back in '92. They work fine for removing & replacing BR bbls, but are light duty, not really suitable for continuous use. Or, at least, that's been my experience. Same basic vise as the Viper, with the same weaknesses. Eventually, the top plate will bend, which makes it bind on the threaded posts. I'm probably going to need to bite the bullet and pony-up the cash to buy one of the SAC vises, or go with Brownell's steel one.

so far I haven't had problems with it. If the barrel is a little stubbord I'll put some rosin on it to give the vise more traction. Haven't had the problem with the top plate bending. When needed I will upgrade to a steel vise.

I like the viper, price is right anyway. if your looking to just swap barrels I cant imagine you would need much more, if you are constantly trying to crank stubborn factory barrels off (as others have said) then I could see something a little more robust being needed, but the vipers seems to do that just fine for me too.

As stated the Viper vice would be a good option as long you aren't wanting to remove factory barrels. I used mine for the first time recently and it was a breeze to set up and use.

Reactions: elmuzzlebreak
I love my Viper. I use it c clamped onto a old wooden kitchen table to torque barrels.

The Viper vice and the Davidson before it have an issue, the barrel might slip. There is an easy solution that most people already have - toilet paper roll cores. Cut the cardboard lengthwise so it will wrap more tightly around the barrel and crank down the nuts. You don't have to get them really tight so you shouldn't bend the top plate. The cardboard core reduces or prevents the barrel from slipping and marring the finish. Bob Pastor who makes the Viper vice also makes an action wrench. It is a rod that slides into the receiver where the bolt would go, with a flat on one end to fit between the locking lugs and a hex on the other end for a torque wrench. Bob told me to use 30 ft-lbs and I think it works great. I can pull a barrel, reinstall it and be between 0 and .2 mils off at 100 yards.

I also have the old-style Davidson action wrenches that slide into the ejection port. I could never get a consistent torque with them.

Sooner or later you are going to want to remove a factory barrel or run into a VERY tight barrel. I have a Viper and just ordered the Brownell's vice with the AL bushings. I tried to remove a factory barrel with the Viper and it was a no go. Didn't matter how tight I screwed it down. I took the barreled action to Aaron Roberts and he put it in a Brownells and got it off in less than a minute. And didn't damage the finish (wrapped with paper). The bushings are replaceable if you mess one up.
Buy the Brownell's and you will be set for whatever you run into. Wait for a sale with free shipping. Almost every week.
Just my opinion.

Appreciate all the input. I’m planning to get an impact action in the near future so the most I’ll use it for is the occasional barrel swap.

I wrap my barrels with a thin sheet of lead and the Viper vise has never bent or let me down.
I use a cheap harbor freight 1/2 inch torque wrench that snaps right onto my action wrench.

Attachments

• IMG_20190318_120744092.jpg
    IMG_20190318_120744092.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 37
Looking at the all aluminum vices and have a question about bending. What if you got bolts about a 1/4 longer and put a piece of steel across the back of it? The nuts would push the steel to the aluminum and the aluminum jaw to the barrel, but wouldn't put stess on the thin barrel cutout and bend it over the top of the barrel. A cheaper method similar to using a bottle Jack to hold the jaws together and spread the force over the jaw.

Reactions: spife7980
I think you and I have the same bench so I'm glad to see that your vise works. I had the same place in mind for where to set it up.

The $80 benches from Home Depot?

Can’t beat ‘em really. Good for me since I’ve moved 3 times and they pack up easy.

I have it about 1/8” too close to the edge of the bench so back it off a hair. depending on the size bolt and nut you use it could hit the inside edge of the bench underneath. The flat side of a nut sits just against that framing underneath so I just barely got it to work. Just an FYI

The $80 benches from Home Depot?

Can’t beat ‘em really. Good for me since I’ve moved 3 times and they pack up easy.

I have it about 1/8” too close to the edge of the bench so back it off a hair. depending on the size bolt and nut you use it could hit the inside edge of the bench underneath. The flat side of a nut sits just against that framing underneath so I just barely got it to work. Just an FYI
Yep that's the one and I know what you mean about backing it off the edge. I had to do that when I installed my vise block. I'm tempted to actually get another bench like that.

Yep that's the one and I know what you mean about backing it off the edge. I had to do that when I installed my vise block. I'm tempted to actually get another bench like that.

I have two, my buddy just got a second one for his reloading room. They are sweet! My barrel vise is mounted on the left edge just out of frame behind the regular bench vise

9F41FC2B-26BD-4FBB-BEFC-A7AD32F59C35.jpeg

I've been looking at the SAC bbl vise on their website, still thinking it's the way to go for my shop, where I use or need to use a bbl vise on a regular basis. I'm not finding any posts here from anyone who's actually bought this vise & used it for an extended period. Would sure like to hear from anyone who does have extensive experience with the SAC vise before I drop the $$$ to buy one...

I have one of the SAC vices. It’s just for personal use. Only used it about 7-8 times now but I really like it. Before I had a wheeler vice with the wooden oak blocks and this is way easier and better on barrels.

I have one of the SAC vices. It’s just for personal use. Only used it about 7-8 times now but I really like it. Before I had a wheeler vice with the wooden oak blocks and this is way easier and better on barrels.
Thanks for the info pyplynr - I tried calling SAC this afternoon, but got no answer, so emailed them as advised on their website. Will see what Mark has to say about availability & options. I saw a notice on the SAC website about their online payment processing being suspended, dated Dec.9, so it doesn't look like I'd be able to order one and pay for it without talking to someone in the shop.
As nice as the anodized version looks, I don't see any real advantage to make it worth the price. Anxious to get some heavy-wall square steel tubing & 1/4" steel plate bought, weld up a mount/stand for it, and get the vise in hand & mounted.