• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Homemade CNC mill making first 1911 grips

m1k3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
San Angelo, TX
I figured I would share a little of what I've been working on this summer in my spare time.

Found a Harbor Freight mill, model 40939, fairly cheap locally with tools and a few extras. It worked for a day before I started converting it to CNC. Have most of the bugs worked out and have backlash down to .005 on the x, .002 on the y, and less than .001 on the Z. With the software compensating it does a pretty good job of keeping the backlash to near 0.

Downloaded a g-code example of some 1911 grips and after several attempts and issues I finally have my first set of 1911 grips.

This pic is of a pine board in the mill. Things were looking great until it went off by about .5 inch on the y axis. Turned out to be the motor side pulley had come loose. One of those "I'll put thread lock on it later. When it comes loose and causes a problem later".

P1050870.JPG

Got all the set screws re-torqued, lock-tited, and a piece of red oak from Lowes.

P1050876.JPG

P1050878.JPG

Set the mill to cut the grip out with just a few thousandths left so it would stay put will machining. The g-code I downloaded has it set to drill the holes after it cuts the perimeter of the grip. If it were to cut all the way through then the grip would fall out and the holes wouldn't get done. I've since fixed that problem. The light shows how thin the remaining wood is around the sides yet holds it pretty well.

P1050887.JPG

And the finished set (still need to cut the holes through on the one).

P1050897.JPG

Still have a lot of tweaking to do on the G-code. I'm getting better with AutoCAD as well so maybe I could write my out code soon from scratch. I've got several programs where I made an action inlet from scratch for a Savage but haven't gotten the nerve to try them on a real stock yet. Just 4x4's for testing.

And I already know these are technically called stocks but I like to call them grips to piss of those that call them stocks.
smile.gif

Mike

Re: Homemade CNC mill making first 1911 grips

Very Nice! Excellent Job! What all did you have to do to convert to CNC in brief?

Stepper motors, wires, sensors, timing belts, pullies, brackets, computer, controller, power supply, fans, more wires.

It wasn't too bad actually. The hardest physical part was making the motor brackets and getting them mounted to the mill. I spent days thinking about how I was going to do it. I live in West Texas and there isn't anywhere you can get aluminum plate or stock. So I wound up getting steel rectangular tubing. Worked great! I still need to make some belt covers but for now its solid, repeatable, and seems to work well. The physical stuff is easy.

I use Mach3 software to control the motors through a Gecko G540 controller. I was under the impression this was going to be the hard part. Nope. Its just what takes G-Code and tells the motors what to do and which way to do it.

The hard part is getting to the G-code. Once you make a drawing in CAD, then you have to have a CAM program convert that drawing into the paths and code the machine needs. This part has been difficult and slow. I have a math background so I thought I would wiz right through this. The problem isn't the code or the understanding of what has to be done. Its the software! It all sucks! Its all written by people and for people that completely understand CAD/CAM/G-code. Its not intuitive at all! I have found a couple that I understand enough to start working more with but basically, for me, its easier to write the G-code from scratch then mess with CAM.

Google around for mill CNC conversions. There are a ton out there that have done it. The concepts are all the same. Put a motor to turn the crank your hand normally would.

Now, waiting on a lathe to show up . . .

I remember back when first using this did not know anything and the boss always edited any errors and wouldnt explain or show you anything. Job security Eh! I took one of the books and memorized all the codes and started making simple programs.Later on I progressed to more advanced stuff. Its hard learning on your own Trust me I know. You are right its like understanding chinese at first. You will get in time and think back how crazy it was at first.

Well done!

Get some software and you'll be a wiz in short order.

Idea. Look up onsrud tooling in OR. You might find some stuff that helps you along. Particularily with wood.

Good luck!

C.

I've started learning Solid Works and really liked it. I went through some quick tutorials step by step and was able to great an inlet for a basic imaginary action. Its slow going but I'm getting there.

I work on computers and systems all day everyday and a lot after hours too. Everything is "life or death" and all systems are critical. By the end of the day, I hate computers.

But I love guns!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pics of the mill please </div></div>

No shit! This thread is incomplete withouth them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xdguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pics of the mill please </div></div>

No shit! This thread is incomplete withouth them.

</div></div>

X3

x3? Really?

Well if I get a x3 I guess I have to, right?

Here's the machine in all of its glory:

P1050900.JPG

The PC and monitor for the whole thing. The monitor used to a be an all-in-one PC I thought would be perfect for this. Its got a metal chassis with all kinds of mounting points. Its even a touchscreen! But the PC component sucked so I stripped it and left the monitor. I haven't setup the touch screen part yet but it does work fine with some of the screens for Mach3. Interesting story behind the monitor, its seen a lot of action in its day. It used to be wall mounted in a mammography exam room.
P1050902.JPG

Here are the Y and Z axis motors with steel brackets. Most people use aluminum plate with pillars to mount the motor with but I figured that would be too weak for the torque these things are required to put out, especially the Z-axis. The steel worked perfectly. When I tear the machine down next to replace or modify the acme screws I'l going to round some of the edges on the mounts. Maybe even paint them Chinese red to match.

P1050903.JPG

P1050904.JPG

Now that its working and has actually produced a part, I'm going to cover all the cables and mount them to the machine so they're not lying on the floor. Take some measurements here and there and get ready to upgrade the screws.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. This is thing worked but milled like crap when I first got it. It had a horrible vibration and seemed to make heavy machining marks in everything I cut. Once I got more tools and indicators, I found the head was out of square so fixed that. Next I replaced the belts with the linked V-belts, actually got them at Harbor Freight but they were made in the USA. Go figure. Anyways those things took nearly all vibration out. The machine is much quieter and the milling output is pretty good if I do say so.

Thanks all!

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I work on computers and systems all day everyday and a lot after hours too. Everything is "life or death" and all systems are critical. By the end of the day, I hate computers.

But I love guns!
</div></div>

LOL...I own a CNC machine shop...and I say the same thing about machines by the end of the day...I never feel like working on anything for myself.

Nice job with with the conversion on the mill...you are going to learn alot as you go.

where did you find the g-code for the grips? i'd be interested in messing around with a set.

I think it was at gunCNC or cncguns? It's been a while since indownloaded them. PM your email and I'll send you what I have.

Mike

pm inbound.

by the way, good job on the conversion. i have a project i want to do but don't even know where to start.

Very impressive, I like what you have put together there. I am looking to convert the same machine to cnc. What are the specs on the motors, servos, ect? Did you make the pulleys? Any details/ information would be much appreciated.

I'll have to dig through my notes to look for the specs on the motors. I spent weeks trying to figure out what would be best so I don't remember exactly what I ended up with. The controller is the Gecko G540. I remember that I picked close the max on its specs. The Z axis was a monster and reduced 2.5:1 with the belt pulley. The X and Y's were reduced 2:1. The power supply was 48volts and is fan cooled. The machine is still going strong and the only problem I've had since I pretty much finished it was the main power/stop switch melted one day. I saw the smoke, killed everything, and watched as the switch leaked liquid yellow plastic. I replaced it with another unit but it really needs to be upgraded to a high quality switch. I'm sure this one will melt down eventually. Keep it oiled and and your speeds within reason and it should run fine.

Lately I've made some inlet programs, trying to get the hang of variables in my code. I've also gotten some 50-round reloading blocks going with the least amount of code I could come up with. Loops and sub-routines!

Next project for the red beast are some acetal acme nuts to get rid of the backlash. The software does a great job but its annoying to hear the motors adjust each time they change direction. I'll probably move up to a tormach next year or so. My day job has been consuming nearly all of my side-work time but in the end, that pays for the side-work toys. Actually, this my first post on here for a long while. I'll try to get back with an update on the specs and any more notes I saved on it.

Mike

Can you upgrade that machine to ball screws, that should all but eliminate the backlash and they run really smooth.