• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Homemade salsa???

KAman9803

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Hattiesburg, MS
I recently got into making my own salsa, got tired of eating the same store bought crap. I've been winging it so far and just throwing stuff in that I think would be good. I've had good results and everything has been better than anything I get from the store. Anyone on here make their own? If so, got any ideas I might could try?

Re: Homemade salsa???

Got some ideas, and I'm trying to reverse engineer my favorite salsa from my favorite Mexican restaurant.

Cilantro
Garlic
Parsley
Onion
Tomato (whole)
Jalapeno (or habanero)
Louisiana hot sauce
Salt
Celery
Small amount of water

This is what I've come with thus far, and put varying amounts to your liking (want more jalapeno? Go ahead and add more to customize to your tastes). Put in the blender and puree.

So far the salsa is awesome. Good with chips and a ball game.

+1 what Krav said but I would add a touch of lime juice and a touch of red wine vinegar.. Dont know about the celery.. Might have to try that.

A popular salsa down in Mexico is simple and made to taste

Mango
Avocado
Green onion
Jalapeno
Lime juice
Tomato
Cilantro

Make it to taste serve cold and fresh and your GTG. It's a hit every time.

I like smokiness in my salsa, so chipotles are a must. Give it a try.

My wife and I went on a Carnival cruise in March and we did an excursion where they taught us how to make traditional salsas and guacamole. I'll post up the receipes when I get home.

All of them were excellent but we had a fair amount of tequila too so it may have just been the booz. lol

Roasted tomatoes (3-4 medium)
Roasted garlic (3 large)
Roasted onions (1 medium/large)
Roasted jalapenos (2 whole)
Green onions (2-3 onions)
Cilantro (1/2 cup lightly packed leaves)
Pepper 1 tbsp
Salt 1 tbsp

You can grind them in a blender... i like my salsa a bit chunky so i dont grind it to a pulp, but you can if you want!

It has always been my experience that using fresh, high quality ingredients matters as much or more than the recipe itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has always been my experience that using fresh, high quality ingredients matters as much or more than the recipe itself. </div></div>

That is a good point, fresh items always improve the taste!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psycho-82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roasted tomatoes (3-4 medium)
Roasted garlic (3 large)
Pepper 1 tbsp
Salt 1 tbsp

You can grind them in a blender... i like my salsa a bit chunky so i dont grind it to a pulp, but you can if you want! </div></div>

This is basically the ingredients that I've been using. I wish I had a place to get habaneros around here. I'd love to throw some in with some fresh mango and pineapple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sleepymonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Psycho-82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roasted tomatoes (3-4 medium)
Roasted garlic (3 large)
Pepper 1 tbsp
Salt 1 tbsp

You can grind them in a blender... i like my salsa a bit chunky so i dont grind it to a pulp, but you can if you want! </div></div>

This is basically the ingredients that I've been using. I wish I had a place to get habaneros around here. I'd love to throw some in with some fresh mango and pineapple. </div></div>

Doesn't take long to grow them Sleepy. They are sometimes called "Scoth Bonnet" peppers. Publix carries a nice selection of peppers here in Tampa. Jamaican or Jerk cooking uses them too so you might look at stores that cater to that palate. Mississippi has to have a decent selection of Mexican foods given the huge influx that fell on you guys in the wake of Katrina!

One jar of canned or pickled Habaneros ought to last until Y3K as a little bit goes a loooooooooooooooooong way.

hmmmm, ok, I'll play:

Red Salsa
4 guajillo chilis
4 Arbol chilis
4 Ancho chilis
4 Fresh Jalapeno
1/2 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
6 tomatoes
1/4C cilantro leaves
Coarse salt
Coarse pepper
Patron Anejo Tequila
1 Lime

Reconstitute the dried chili's(arbol, guajillo, ancho) in three cups of warm water. Split them, remove all seeds, stalks and Blend them in a blender with a little of the water until they are smooth but still a little rough. Remove the seeds and stalk from the jalapenoes and dice to 1/4". Cut the tomatoes into 1/2" dice. Dice the onion a little smaller. Chop the garlic real small. Chop the cilantro to 1/4" pieces. Mix it all up, add teh salt and pepper to taste, then dump a shot of the tequila and squeeze the lime into it. Mix it again and let it sit over night then enjoy after mixing.

Green Salsa

16 Tomatillo's
4 Jalapeno's
2 Serrano's
1/4C Cilantro leaves
1 medium Vidalia or Maui onion
1 Lime
Patron Anejo tequila
Salt and Pepper

Remove the skins form the tomatillo's. Roast them and the peppers and onion in the oven or on the fire until they are softened and the skins from the peppers can be easily removed. De seed all of these, and cut to 1/4" dice. Dice the onion into 1/4" dice. Do teh same with the cilantro. SQueeze the lime and add a shot of the tequila. Mix it all up and let it sit over night.

Fresh corn tortillas are available at some of the stores for a few bucks in the 100ct size. Cut them into strips, or triangles and fry them up, adding a little coarse salt when they come out of the oil. Make these right before serving the salsa.
Offer rocks glasses of Sauza Tres Generacions, Dark Mexican beer, and make sure the grill is fired up for the Carne Asada. You of course have beans and rice and flour tortillas on the side with guacamole and stuff.
It's usually best to throw this down on a Friday night or start about oh, 1 or so Saturday afternoon

Habanero's taste like barf but are hot. Try using a dried Jolokia. It needs to be reconstituted and can be found in any asian grocery worth it's salt. You may want to only start with a 1/4 of this pepper and work your way up to a whole one. It's a little spicy
grin.gif

For me, roasting the tomatoes, etc, is the key. Otherwise the salsa is a little watery. Also the roasting brings out the flavor.

I added some bhut jolokia extract to some habanero salsa and wow it was hot and good at the same time. I can't believe how fast I ran out of that stuff. I was putting that extract on everything. It was awsome in some pasta meat sauce.
laugh.gif
I need to get some more.

When I was a line foreman, one of my employees made some kick-ass salsa. His recipe won the IL state fair contest a couple times. Before he retired, he shared it with us and encouraged us to share it with anyone who was looking for salsa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wolfman's Southern Style Salsa

2 - 15oz cans of blackeyed peas (drained)
1 - 15oz can of whole kernel corn (drained)
2 cups diced red and orange bell peppers
1 - 10oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
1/2 cup of diced onion
1/2 cup of diced jalapenos
1 cup or coarsely diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of diced black olives
1/2 cup of diced green olives
1/2 cup of diced zucchini (seeds removed)
1/2 cup of chopped baby corn
1/2 cup of seeded, peeled and diced cucumber
1/2 teaspoon of chopped garlic (optional)
1 - 4oz jar of pimentos (drained)
1 - 8oz jar of Zesto or Robusto Italian dressing
2-5 finely diced large habanero peppers (optional)

Mix all ingredients completely and let stand for at least four hours, preferably overnight. This will allow flavors and heat to blend together. Stir occasionally. Once you set it out , it should be stirred occasionally to allow flavors to stay mixed.

Eat with chips or crackers. I personally like Ritz or Townhouse crackers with this. This salsa can be addicting to eat.</div></div>

This is good stuff. keep it coming. Canning season is just around the corner.

Sorry alittle slow here but these are the receipes we got from our cruise

All of these are done by mixing in a molcajete traditionally but if you don't have one a blender or food processor works too.

Fiery Red Salsa
1-3 cloves of roasted garlic
1/4 white onion roasted and chopped
1/2-2 roasted jalepenos or serrano chiles - remove seeds for mild
2 roasted roma tomatoes
Pinch of cilantro
lime juice - couple drops
salt to taste

Grind garlic into molcajete, add rest of ingredients and mash until well blended

Tangy Salsa Verde
1-3 cloves of roasted garlic
1/4 white onion roasted and chopped
1/2-2 roasted jalepenos or serrano chiles - remove seeds for mild
4 roasted tomatillos
Pinch of cilantro
lime juice - couple drops
salt to taste

Grind garlic into molcajete, add rest of ingredients and mash until well blended

Oaxacan Guacamole

1/4 of Tangy Salsa Verde
Juice from 1/2 of a lime
1 ripe avacado
Salt to taste

Blend all ingredients until smooth

Mango/Melon Salsa

1/2 diced red pepper
1/2 diced and seeded jalepeno
1 tbls of mango or any other melon
pinch of cilantro
4 drops of lime juice

Mix all ingredients together.

This one is really good with baked chicken or fish

Pico De Gallo

2 roma tomatoes
1/2 white onion diced
1/2 jalepeno seeded and diced
pinch of cilantro
lime juice
salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together

*For tropical taste add 1 tbls of pineapple and mix in

Rompope Dessert Salsa

1/2 mango, melon or pineapple chopped
1 tbls apple chopped
1-2 tbls of rompope (Vanilla Liqueur)
1 tbls coconut chopped

Mix all ingredients and chill. Serve over ice cream

Enjoy! Our favorite by far is the Salsa Verde. We've experimented a lot as we like fairly spicy salsa so we've only modified the type of jalepenos we use.

When you roast the veggies all you really need to do is coat them with olive oil and put them in an oven for about 30 minutes on 300. Check them regularly so they don't split open. You wanna make use of the natrual juices in the veggies so that part is pretty important

If you are planning to grow your own, now is a good time to plan.
We have found it best to just can the basic ingedients, and add the final spices later.
Skin ripe tomatoes by dropping in pot of boiling water till the skins split.
Place on cookie sheet to cool
Should only take 20-30 min per bushel.
Skin and decore the stem.
Just quarter, cooking out the water and stirring will save work.
Fill roasters, or big stock pots, and simmer down about 1/3 to 1/2.
Clean peppers and chop onions while it is cooking down.
Get your jars and rings ready to go.
Add white vinegar and canning salt.

Let some cool before tasting.

I gave no measurments, as this is just something that is done, by what we have.

Hot jars out of the oven, rings and lids in hot water.
Place on towel and cover with another.
Wait for the ping.

You can also make so called fresh from a #10 can of crushed tomatoes and have some left to make a killer bruchetta to spare!

Red pico de gallo?

I have a few Jalapeno and Pasalla peppers groing. They will be harvested, frozen, then smoked when I smoke meat. Homemade Chipotle's! Mmmmmmmm. With the dried Jolokia, Arbol, Ancho, and Guajillo, a Five Pepper Salsa or Six Pepper Salsa will be in the plans. Flavor, heat, oh man it's gonna be good!
My basics are always either garlic, onion and tomatoe, or garlic, onion, and tomatillo. The tequila and lime are always present as well to add the extra dimension in the flavor. Occasionally I make a 'Black Bean and Corn Salsa' that Panty 6 and her friends just cream over. It's the simplest one too.

1# Frozen Corn, thawed
1cn Frijoles Negros, rinced, dried
1 Medium Onion, 1/4" dice
4 cloves Garlic, fine chop(1/8" dice)
1# Tomatoes, 1/4" dice
8 Jalapeno Peppers, 1/4" dice(remove seeds)
2 Serrano Peppers(optional for additional heat)
1t Coarse Ground Sea Salt
2t Lawry's Garlic Salt(adjust after two hours by adding more)
1t Coarse Ground Pepper(adjust after two hours by adding more)
1t Ground Cumin
1t Ancho Chile Powder
1 Shot Anejo Tequila or Mexcal(for more smoky flavor)
1 Lime, squeezed

Mix it all up, let it sit overnight. May be drained before serving as the salt does pull moisture from the fresh produce

Damn Switch, making me hungry.
If ya got room you can also grow a few Poblanos for chile rellanos.
Forgot to say I usually add garlic powder and sometimes tom paste before canning.
Herbs tend to loose flavor and get bitter if canned.
Might smoke a shoulder with your mop next weekend.

If you guy' want a good site for sausage and cured meats let me know. I'll post a link.

Don't mean to "Jack" the thread, but some homemade chorizo goes good with salsa.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

You name it, they probably have a recipie for it.
As for different types of comercial casings and seasonings try this.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/

I know of recipie that would go great with a walkaround and chips.

Give me a few min.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/CarneSalada.pdf

That one is great raw, or slightly warmed.

Maybe we should start a homemade saugsage thread too!
Enjoy.
TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Habanero's taste like barf but are hot. Try using a dried Jolokia. It needs to be reconstituted and can be found in any asian grocery worth it's salt. You may want to only start with a 1/4 of this pepper and work your way up to a whole one. It's a little spicy
grin.gif
</div></div>

I've thought about using Jolokias but never thought to look at the asian grocery. We have a couple in town, might have to check them out.

This one is a easy one
5 med/large tomatoes
3 whole cloves garlic
1 serano pepper
In a pot boiling water put in the tomatoes and pepper till the skin splits on the tomatoes.
Turn off the the heat and let cool.
Peel off the skin of the tomatoes and take out the core.
Cut off the stem of the pepper
Then place all in to a food processor.
Blend tell all is chopped
Add salt to your liking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/CarneSalada.pdf

That one is great raw
TC </div></div>

That is only a standard Carpaccio missing the lemon

http://regional-italian-specialties.suite101.com/article.cfm/beef_carpaccio

If you cannot get regular guts to stuff your sausages, a simple trick is to use plastic wrap, and roll it up then twist the ends. It can be boiled, but that basically loses the fat in it. If you chill it this way then smoke it on the rack it's right good.

Mixing any salsa up with some pork fat, duck fat, a little pork, beef and duck will yield you a nice sausage that smokes well and tastes mighty fine with a bit of bread on a sunday morning. It can be washed down with some Sam Adam's Pale Ale too. A little cheese, a little bread, a little sausage, a little beer, what better way to start a Saturday morning?

Sounds good for both days.
We can buy fresh hog casings by the hank up here from local shop.
For lamb or log type, I get from sausagemaker.

Two new peppers to us are Fatalli, and Rocotillo.
Peppers stuffed with good prov and proc in oil are addictive.

Peppers for hot pepper wine is on of our main things this year.
(Don't knock it till you try it!)

I'm just waiting for my peppers to grow and produce so I can make some fresh salsa with my own peppers and onions. I think I am up to 6 or 7 pepper types.
Fresh:
Cayenne
Jalapeno
Chipotles(from my jalapeno)
Passalla
Dried:
Arbol
Ancho
Guallijo

That should be enough flavor and heat to make a good mash, salsa, barbeque sauce and whatever else I can concoct