• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hooper Ordnance Dbm

Trapshooter12

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2009
Nevada
I finally recieved my Dbm after ordering 2 1/2 months ago. Some say it is worth the wait. I won't go that far and say it was but if you don't mind having to wait it is.

I don't have any experience with any other Dbm system, but what I see with this one it is well made.
I wanted to install the Dbm at home with the hand tools that I had and I was not disappointed. It took me almost exactly 1 hr and 45 min to install with a file and Dremel tool.

I installed mine on an HS stock
I did a trim a little and fit and trim some more and fit. The major cuts I had to make were at the front of the Mag well were I had to cut 3/8 to almost a 1/2 inch out of the front of it to fit. The next major trim was at the back Pillar. I had to trim around a 1/4 inch out of it to make the Dbm fit. Also for some reason and maybe the web of this Dbm is not as thick as the original BM at the front screw. I had to cut it down just abit because it locked up my Bolt.
It was not a 100% flush mount but I cannot blame Hoopers Dbm it has more to do with the way the HS stock is built.

If your a do it youself type person this is well worth it.
Would I order another one. If he has it in his hand while I am talking to him Yes. If he don't No.

Re: Hooper Ordnance Dbm

I couldn't agree with you more on the wait. When you order something and nothing is told to you about having to build it, you expect it to be shipped right out.
On the other hand, I do have mine now and it does seem to be made well. It took more trimmimg than I expected to get the magwell to fit, but it wasn't bad. The only part I haven't tackled is the pillars.
What did you use to cut them down? I know it's just aluminum pillars in mine, but I didn't want to rip them out with a drill and regular bit.

Im confused as to why you had to do some serious inletting to fit a DBM system that claims to be "Virtually the same" as factory bottom metal?

And that exactly was my selling point. Only after the ball was rolling, did I find out it wasn't exactly a drop-in fit. I had to trim from the sides, front, rear, and corners for mine to fit the magwell. Of course, he offers to inlet for you for $60. Then you're without your rifle until it returns.

Ide deffinately send in my stock to be inletted for it by Hooper himself. The pictures of the instal.'s he has done look good.

Was this for the long action or the short action? The L/A is supposed to be drop in while the S/A requires inletting.

I must have had great timing. I ordered mine from Hooper last Thursday and it was in my hands on Monday. He even sent it before receiving my check. What a guy! He's won my future business for sure. I don't have it in a stock yet but playing with it, it's smooth.

I'm going to see about inletting it myself with a dremel but building a jig to make more of a mill quality job.

Here are some after pics. Sorry no before pics.
I used some stalk makers bolts to center the DBM up on the Stalk and to make my marks with.

The Hand files were used to file down the sides of the Mag Well. I didn't want to use the Dremel for the sides because you can take out to much to quick.

I used the pointed bit to make my round cuts with, and the one with the round flat end to take out the front of the Mag Well and the flat end of it to mill out the back Pillar.
I then used the Sanding drum to clean up the cuts in the fron of the Mag Well so it didn't look all butchered up.

I over cut one little area at the back, but it doesn't effect anything. I looked at one that was professionally done at a shoot and mine was done as well as that one was.

If you Trim and Fit and Trim and Fit it is easy to do at home.

Some of the tools and bits I used.
017-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

014-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

Thanks for the honest review. I sincerely apologize for the delay in shipping. The projected lead time vs. realistic lead time was ultimately my fault but essentially out of my control. This should not happen again and we plan to have plenty on hand in the future.

The short action does require inletting but not as extreme as others we have seen. There is a downloadable PDF file on our site that shows the coordinates of the cuts to the stock. The ends of the guard are the same as the BDL. However in the magwell area, the stock needs to be cut.

The action screws may need to be trimmed and should always be checked when swapping a trigger guard. If this was not in the instructions, I apologize and will look into it.

As for the DBM sticking out the bottom, yes, HS Stocks have a curve right where these fit and are more appealing to the eye with a hinged floorplate with a curved bottom. For a true custom perfect fit, the sides could be cut down and sanded flush. We can do this for those who wish.

However in a McMillan or others with flat bottoms, they fit great in this area.

The Long Action is virtually a drop in fit to the BDL inlet.

Thanks again for posting feedback. This is what helps products improve.

Ide deffinately send in my stock to be inletted for it by Hooper himself. The pictures of the instal.'s he has done look good.

Sent mine to him. Great work. Looks and functions well, if you don't mind waiting 5 months.
Originally sent my work to him for his bolt mod, and sent my stock along. Purchased his DBM and wanted him to install it.
He apparently has way too much more important work than his gun smithing customers, because after waiting the 5 months:
-No bolt mod package, just a bolt knob. What I was originally drawn to him for was not completed, and I was without my bolt and stock for 5 months.
-To add insult to injury, before I even got it back he sent me an email asking if there was a magazine included. I though that maybe this was his way of trying to lessen the sting from the ridiculous wait. WRONG. When I responded that I found the mag, he sent me a response with the address he wanted it sent back to. maybe I should wait 5 months to send it back.

Very sad. I spoke to Hoop, and he sounded like a nice guy, but as far as customer service --- no clue.
I really wanted to feel good about this work, and was willing to wait. I would have even still been positive, or at least silent on this, but after waiting this long, not getting all of the work done, then him having the incompetence to send me additional parts and have the nerve to ask me to send it back....

I can not recommend sending him any more work. Which I am sure he won't mind, he obviously has plenty of other more important work to do.

-Out

Last edited:
I can not recommend sending him any more work. Which I am sure he won't mind, he obviously has plenty of other more important work to do.

-Out

Sir, with respect, yes, I have been backed up and not giving a lead time as of late.

Signal dad said in email 8-20-14..."I was going to just keep quiet, but if this is how distorted you view on service is, I feel obligated to get the word out on what ever forums may be relevant."

Hoop Said in response...

Hey bud, on August 5th, you posted on Snipershide pretty much what you said today you were going to do anyway. Furthermore you said it took over 7 months in your post. I received your stock and bolt back on 2-25-2014 according to the bottom of this email. I shipped your stuff July 28th. 5 months, yes, it did run long. I do apologize. We are in the process of finishing up our new shop and I had yours and about 10 other small jobs that ran long. Had I known this would happen, I would have sent it back unfinished and refunded when you first inquired about it. At least you said my work was quality.

You may feel inclined to post whatever, whenever. But please post the facts. The fact was you were willing to wait. It ran 5 months. I gave an incorrect lead time. You did not decide to post BS on the boards until I asked for the magazine back after you thought it was a freebie. I do not send hush money. You don't get to blab on the net and keep my stuff too.

So send me a paypal address and I will send the shipping money for the Mag. I already paid for it, might as well use it.

Hoop

Corrected the post to reflect 5 months. You are correct on that and I apologize. Still I am glad you responded. It will give others some perspective on your treatment of customers.

The work you did was quality, but you did not complete what was requested. Your communication throughout the process was poor, and my opinion has not improved.

For someone willing to pay in advance, wait an indeterminate amount of time, get back what ever work the provider may or may not elect to compete, then be expected to reconcile their mistakes.... Hoop is your guy.