• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hope I made the right choice....build thread

jamesbern

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
CT
I've got the urge for a 308 bolt gun. I want to do a nice quality setup, but at a price point under $3k for the whole thing.

I've had a few R700s with my last one being a 20" in a ACIS chassis with a Timney trigger. After looking at my options I decided to try something new. I strayed from Remington and settled on an FN SPR A1a. For the price I figured I couldn't go wrong. After I'd outfit an R700 with a trigger, rail, and stock, i'd be pretty close to buying the factory SPR.

Ordered that and my scope. Wanted to keep it under a grand so I went with a Vortex 6-24x50 FFP. Bipod and rings are next.

What rings should I go with? I'm thinking low rings should work OK.

Not my rifle, but a great shot of what it looks like. Looking forward to seeing if I made the right choice.

DSC00242.JPG

Looks like a good project! What barrel contour you going with and what's the contour in that pic? Good balance it looks like.

If rings is only thing you're still debating on I'd check out American Rifle Company rings. Thinking I need a set of those.

I went with Seekins. .87 Med to be safe. If they sit too high ill grab lows.

You should be happy with it. Only thing I would change is send it to cdi for his bottom metal. Aics type mags are better and cheaper than fn mags. If you've got the fixed floor plate model, like it, all is well. They shoot better than most people can.

I love my SPR! I put the FN TBM on it before I had other rifles that took AICS mags. I wish I would have sent it to CDI for their AICS bottom metal. It is a fantastic rifle and will keep up with almost all the custom 308's out there. I hate to say it but I almost prefer the FN action over my surgeon and defiance builds.

EDIT: also have it bedded by competent smith it will help

Last edited:
Well I scrapped the whole keep the scope under $1k. I moved the PST to my SR-25 and scored a Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 and Vortex Medium Plus 1.1" rings. Should have rifle late next week and then I just need to put it together. Plan to have it bedded and CDI bottom metal for AICS mags over the winter.

Got it finished but the federal background check system was down today so couldn't bring it home. It's a beast! Just waiting for my stock pack to arrive.

I like mine. It's a little older and has the 24" barrel, but more or less the same thing. FWIW, mine seems to like 155gr Scenars.

I'm heading out tomorrow with 168gr FGMM and Remington Premier....hopefully i'm impressed with this setup.

Well I was able to hit the range today to sight in the rifle and test out the setup.

The factory paperwork with the rifle shows that 15 rounds were fired, 1 Black Hills 308 and 14 FGMM 168gr.

The factory test target shows 3 rounds fired with a .65" group. Not bad.

Got on paper at 50 yards and then put it at 100 yards. Shot a few groups to confirm zero and then shot a few to see what I could do. All are 5 round groups. I was able to get out to 210 yards towards the end, but it was down pouring so I just shot a few groups before I got the one below. I figured 5 rounds is more of a test to see what it can do than 3 rounds. I am very happy with the rifle and the scope at this point! Rifle performed wonderfully as did the scope. The fact that i'm shooting tighter groups with more rounds than the factory accuracy showed makes me happy.

I mislabeled the following photos. Ammo used on the two Dirty Bird 100 yard targets was Remington 168gr Premier Match. The 210 yard target is correct with 168gr FGMM. I think FGMM at 100 yards would perform even better than the Remington, but I'm very happy with the Remingtons performance in this gun.