• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hope is fading… Willing to Pay $20!

Channelkat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2006
WA
Anyone near Casper, WY willing to check on and send me a couple quick snapshots of my mount… Really concerned my Taxidermist is pumping me full of bull, and either lost my mount or mixed it up with someone else’s. Makes me sick, but thinking about asking for my cash back and just giving up on my mount. Don’t know what else to do. Any advice in dealing with a shady Taxidermist?

Re: Hope is fading… Willing to Pay $20!

address says Casper, although his shop is on the very west edge of town, off yellowstone highway.

I can PM the address if you happen to be headed out that way!

Who is the taxidermist? I grew up in Casper and know most of them...

How long has he had your mount. I have seen people wait up to 3 years to get there stuff back up here. If they get that far out I wonder why they take on more work when they do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long has he had your mount. I have seen people wait up to 3 years to get there stuff back up here. If they get that far out I wonder why they take on more work when they do. </div></div>

Dropped it off 8OCT10, but my concerns are more than just the wait. I have the patience of an oyster, if he would just be straight with me. I try to give him the benefit of doubt, but after so many red flags I would only be kidding myself if I were to assume there to be an honest mistake or two.

Actually this post was enlightening Thanks to those who have PM me. Apparently others have had some misdealings as well.

I have had many mounts done, and I believe there is a law stating that taxidermists have 1 year to finish your animal, or lose their license.

It is on the WY G&F's website, you might want to have a look.

ETA:

WY G&F taxidermy laws

Section 3(a)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skg_Mre_Lght</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had many mounts done, and I believe there is a law stating that taxidermists have 1 year to finish your animal, or lose their license.

ETA:

WY G&F taxidermy laws

Section 3(a)

</div></div>

Thanks for that information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skg_Mre_Lght</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had many mounts done, and I believe there is a law stating that taxidermists have 1 year to finish your animal, or lose their license.

ETA:

WY G&F taxidermy laws

Section 3(a)

</div></div>

Very much appreciated. Not sure what I should do for the moment, but this tidbit may unfortunately come in handy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is the taxidermist? I grew up in Casper and know most of them... </div></div>

I'd rather not toss his name out there, but PM me if your really interested...

I have had animals switched and animals LOST from a taxidermist in WI...
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have had animals switched and animals LOST from a taxidermist in WI...
bill larson </div></div>

It kind of blows me away that a taxidermist could lose or switch animals. Being that is his JOB, you would expect them to have some simple system that follws the animal. I suspected that is what happend to mine when I called him to ask the status and he asked if I had a picture of my animal...

What did you do just ask for your cash back and return the mount? I really don't know what course of action I should take next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have had animals switched and animals LOST from a taxidermist in WI...
bill larson </div></div>

yes this would suck, I always put a marking on mine so I have legit proof, as well as pictures of it... hell even when I send my furs to get tanned I'll put a certain color of zip ties through the eyelets with a tag number, similar to the bobcat tags we have to have... this takes care of alot!!

This was my first mount, and I guess I learned a lot. Forgot my camera, so I thought I would get the mount done in order to have some kind of memory. I made the absolutely foolish assumption that the taxidermist would be the one to put tags on my animal, and never thought it was something that I needed to do. If I ever have the opportunity to harvest something worth mounting again I will definitely do as you suggest and zip tie all my animals.

It realy sucks when this crap happens. I hope they find your mount if they dont post the companys name up here so no one else gets screwed. I had a taxidermist loose my biggest white tail I ever shot back in 04 and I didnt even get my money back!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Channelkat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skg_Mre_Lght</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had many mounts done, and I believe there is a law stating that taxidermists have 1 year to finish your animal, or lose their license.

ETA:

WY G&F taxidermy laws

Section 3(a)

</div></div>

Very much appreciated. Not sure what I should do for the moment, but this tidbit may unfortunately come in handy. </div></div>

You bet...I would just pressure him with the new knowledge and tell him to put up, or shut up. You want your trophy back above all.

BTW, I would also like a PM to know which one it is.