• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hornady 103 Gr ELD X (6mm) Results?

mckchome

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2017
Minnesota
heritagemedianetwork.com
I've been working up a hunting load for my 6mm CM, and have had some good results on paper/steel with the 103 Gr ELD X. Has anyone had a chance to use these in a hunting context, and on big game? I'll take it out on the Javelina hunt this February here in AZ (report forthcoming). I would imagine the projectile would perform well up to mule deer, probably not elk though I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I'm curious to see some feedback as well. I'm really close to putting together a 6mm of some type for hunting applications.

I've kinda had the idea of a light, soft shooting cartridge rifle, for hunting. A 6 creed is probably something I'd like and figured I'd be using ELD-X so it's good to know someone's built a load using that particular bullet. Let us see those javalinas and what the exit wounds look like.
Good luck!

@keith5579 and @stello1001: My current hunting load is as follows: 103 Gr ELD X, Peterson brass (large rifle primer), CCI 250 and 41.7 Gr H4350. Velocity is about 3205 FPS. Javelina season is at the end of February. You can definitely expect a report from me here. I've had it out coyote calling a few times, but haven't put down any dogs yet.

I will also be taking this rifle on an Aoudad hunt in Feb-March.

Last edited:
Not the ELDX, but I’ve put down a good number of hogs and totes with my 6 Creedmoor in the last month with a 108 ELDM.

It’s performed well for me, but I plan on giving the ELDX a try this weekend since I have a couple hundred rounds of it.

anybody have a side by side comparison of the 103 next to the 108? My .104 freebore is too short in my 6br for the 108s

I've kinda had the idea of a light, soft shooting cartridge rifle, for hunting. A 6 creed is probably something I'd like and figured I'd be using ELD-X so it's good to know someone's built a load using that particular bullet. Let us see those javalinas and what the exit wounds look like.
Good luck!
I'll keep you update. Hunt is in about 1 month.

Reactions: stello1001
I'd love to see any pics you have showing the damage done by the ELD M. Thanks!

There are a metric fuck-ton of critters killed with eldms of all weights. this is with the 147 eldm at 300 yards
received_246981729279442.jpeg
received_898989616961186.jpeg
received_344390299641681.jpeg

What is your OAL and freebore ?
Thanks

@keith5579 and @stello1001: My current hunting load is as follows: 103 Gr ELD X, Peterson brass (large rifle primer), CCI 250 and 41.7 Gr H4350. Velocity is about 3205 FPS. Javelina season is at the end of February. You can definitely expect a report from me here. I've had it out coyote calling a few times, but haven't put down any dogs yet.

I will also be taking this rifle on an Aoudad hunt in Feb-March.