• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 143 eldx seating depth inconsistences

Nosteponsnek

Senior lance corporal
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2017
Lynden,washington
I've been reloading for a few years now for my 6.5cm with Berger 140 and 144 bullets on my foster coaxal press with Redding competition die with a VLD seater and my seating depth has always been constant. i recently switched over to load some 143 eldx for hunting since I cant get any of the 140 élite hunters right now. I loaded up ten to do a pressure test and set them up to be 15 thousands off the lands for the test. I'll load them at 20 thousands off. I noticed with the first round it put a indent on the bullet from the seating stem and all the other ten I loaded had the same indent some seamed a little deeper but nothing extremely different. I checked seating depth and some were 5 thousands and a few were off 10 thousands further out. what would cause this it seams to be only with the eldx? and should i adjust my seating depth so they are all the same with the bullet comparator?

Indent where on the bullet? Can you post some pics?

Are you talking about a small ring around the bullet where the stem makes contact?
Or are you meaning the tips are being dented by the end of the seating stem?

Indent where on the bullet? Can you post some pics?

Are you talking about a small ring around the bullet where the stem makes contact?
Or are you meaning the tips are being dented by the end of the seating stem?
there's a small ring where the steam is making contact on the bullet
ill post some pics when i get home

there's a small ring where the steam is making contact on the bullet
ill post some pics when i get home
Might be a stupid question but did you mic the Hndy vs Berger diameter and check against neck I.D. and desired tension?

I did not mic the bullets but the neck tension on a loaded round is the same. All my neck tension is 2 thousands
So, please forgive me as I’m an idiot….but if you haven’t ascertained the diameter of that batch of eld-x, how do you know you still have .002 neck tension?

So, please forgive me as I’m an idiot….but if you haven’t ascertained the diameter of that batch of eld-x, how do you know you still have .002 neck tension?
I measured a loaded round on the neck diameter and a unloaded sized round

31AF6924-CF8D-4EE4-BC5D-D1B5F21534FF.jpeg

You can see it barley but it’s there and looks worse in person

Hornady makes specific stems for certain bullets, at least certainly for A-Tips I know and some ELD-M’s. Whether they can be used in your die I’m not sure. I’ve had the same rings seating 225 ELD-M and not using the correct stem in my Hornady Custom Grade die.
Also, I’m assuming you’re measuring with a comparator (BTO)and not tip of the bullet (COAL) since you mentioned a comparator.
Hope that helps 🍻

Hornady makes specific stems for certain bullets, at least certainly for A-Tips I know and some ELD-M’s. Whether they can be used in your die I’m not sure. I’ve had the same rings seating 225 ELD-M and not using the correct stem in my Hornady Custom Grade die.
Also, I’m assuming you’re measuring with a comparator (BTO)and not tip of the bullet (COAL) since you mentioned a comparator.
Hope that helps 🍻
Although I am guessing here, looking at the cross section of the bullet gives what I believe is the reason or clue. This area of the mark is also where the bullet has little solid construction, so a pressure point can squeeze the bullet and leave damage, thus a special seater is designed to prevent this by dispersing the pressure point and or moving it's position.