• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hornady 178 match .308?

rasman35

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Wheaton, IL USA
my .308 load has primarly been lapua brass, CCI large rifle or BR2, 43g RL15 and 175gr SMK and ive been pretty happy with it but ive wanted to try the 178 hornady match bullet to see how they compare. what im wondering is if i should stick with the 43g of RL15 or bump it up or down...thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Hornady 178 match .308?

Curious as well. 300 178s inbound.

Rem PSS 1-10 24" with 178 AMAX used 44.5 Varget/LC/BR2. No chrono data, but worked well for F-TR.

Load the 178 on your current 175 load and tweak it from there.

Ranger he is talking about loading the 178 BTHP bullet. Not Superformance ammo.

My advice would be to drop down a little for safety, maybe 1 grain, and then work back up. The 178 BTHP is an excellent bullet. I have had great performance from it with minimal load work. I load mine about .020" off the lands but with a facotry Rem you wo\n't be able to do that unless you single load so just load it to mag length and rock on.

Yes sir, that is the "new" 178gr from Hornady. Regular match hollow point profile.

They seem to shoot well with 175 SMK load data...

Interested as well. Just picked up 500 of these. They have a longer profile than 175 smk and need to be seated deeper for mag. Also Hornady book shows RL15 42.7 as max when I can go 44.3 completely fine in SMK. Anyone have personal data with this bullet?

The group below is 5 shots of the Hornady 178 BTHP from a DPMS SASS at 100 yds,
178HPBTGroup.jpg

That is one of the best groups, if not the best, produced by that rifle, especially given that they were run through a mag.

That load is:
Federal Brass
Federal 210M Primers
43.8 Grains of Varget
They are seated to 2.810
Running 2,575-2,600 fps

I never had much luck running an AMAX load at mag length, but these bullets are making the jump with no problem.

Add this to the great BC, and I am seriously looking at replacing my 175 SMK load.

Only problem I have is availability which seems to be real hit & miss.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would just like to get some to try.... </div></div>

I just got a few hundred from Powder Valley. Graf's had them in stock too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The group below is 5 shots of the Hornady 178 BTHP from a DPMS SASS at 100 yds,

That is one of the best groups, if not the best, produced by that rifle, especially given that they were run through a mag.

That load is:
Federal Brass
Federal 210M Primers
43.8 Grains of Varget
They are seated to 2.810
Running 2,575-2,600 fps

I never had much luck running an AMAX load at mag length, but these bullets are making the jump with no problem.

Add this to the great BC, and I am seriously looking are replacing my 175 SMK load.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

very nice shooting!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The group below is 5 shots of the Hornady 178 BTHP from a DPMS SASS at 100 yds,
178HPBTGroup.jpg

That load is:
Federal Brass
Federal 210M Primers
43.8 Grains of Varget
They are seated to 2.810
Running 2,575-2,600 fps

Add this to the great BC, and I am seriously looking at replacing my 175 SMK load.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

Nice shooting, Especially with that SASS barrel! I think I will give that one a try based on your results.

Nice shooting. I've just started with the 178's and I'm looking forward to working with them.