• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hornady .224 90 Grain A-Tip

PracticalTactical

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2019
It looks like the Hornady .224 90 Grain A-Tip is available now, according to the Hornady web site.

Have any of you guys tried them?

What do you think?

What twist and muzzle velocity did you use?

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Twist rate will depend on caliber used. Hornady recommendation is 1:7, but if you're screaming them in a 26" 22 creedmoor you're fine (probably better off) with an 8 twist.

Twist rate will depend on caliber used. Hornady recommendation is 1:7, but if you're screaming them in a 26" 22 creedmoor you're fine (probably better off) with an 8 twist.

I have a 1:7 223 with a super long throat, and hoping 1:7 is actually enough.

I did a little ballistic math and running them at 2900 FPS is about 1 MOA flatter than the 88 grain ELD and about 1 MOA less wind for 10 MPH at 1000 yards.

That's not a whole lot better considering the price tag, so what I'm really hoping for is accuracy. If they are more accurate than the 88s then I'll be real jacked up for the A Tip.

If the length is 1.260 you had better have a lot of altitude in a warm environment to make this stable in a 7 twist...

SG is greater than 1.2-1.3 in any conditions at 2600fps in a 7 twist. More like 1.5-1.7 in most normal sea level temps/conditions. Stability is not an issue with a 7 twist.

I foresee my Valkyrie shooting this in the 2750 range, given today's conditions of 600'asl at 30 degrees with a velocity of 2750fps in a 7 twist I'm at a SG of 1.28... The bullet wont be going sideways yet but the BC will be compromised to the point of not using this bullet, especially at .65-.72 cents apiece.

Last edited:
I've shot them in my 26" 224 Valkyrie. My MV is around 2700 fps... a pretty tame load actually. Hitting the 600 yard target at 1850 fps (according to ShotMarker) and above Mach 1.2 at 1100 yards. Accuracy is quite good, but I do get the odd flyer. Like 9 grouped into a nickle and then one an inch low at 100 yards. Same sort of thing at 600. Most out of 25 shots into 1 MOA but then one off in la-la land.

I did find that I need the updated Hornady seating stem in order to seat these without marking up the bullet. I also used a Sinclair expander to make sure I'm getting consistent and light neck tension. I think I need to try chambering these more gently to see if that helps with the flyers. I wonder if I'm getting bullet deformation on chambering when not being careful.

One note about the Hornady A-Tip seating stem: it works well with other 224 caliber high-BC bullets, like the 90 SMK etc, but if you use it for that it will mess up the seating stem. It will expand the opening of the stem a bit and then when you go back to the A-Tip, you'll get marked up bullets again. Recommend you get two, one for the A-Tip and one for everything else.

I've shot them in my 26" 224 Valkyrie. My MV is around 2700 fps... a pretty tame load actually. Hitting the 600 yard target at 1850 fps (according to ShotMarker) and above Mach 1.2 at 1100 yards. Accuracy is quite good, but I do get the odd flyer. Like 9 grouped into a nickle and then one an inch low at 100 yards. Same sort of thing at 600. Most out of 25 shots into 1 MOA but then one off in la-la land.

I did find that I need the updated Hornady seating stem in order to seat these without marking up the bullet. I also used a Sinclair expander to make sure I'm getting consistent and light neck tension. I think I need to try chambering these more gently to see if that helps with the flyers. I wonder if I'm getting bullet deformation on chambering when not being careful.

One note about the Hornady A-Tip seating stem: it works well with other 224 caliber high-BC bullets, like the 90 SMK etc, but if you use it for that it will mess up the seating stem. It will expand the opening of the stem a bit and then when you go back to the A-Tip, you'll get marked up bullets again. Recommend you get two, one for the A-Tip and one for everything else.

What barrel twist rate are you using?
I have a feeling this bullet will need a 1:6.5 twist.

Last edited:
I will test them in a 1-7 as soon as I get my order. I really hope I can push them at 2700 in my 26 inch 223.

Might have to try some in my 22BR 1-7 barrel. Been shooting the 88 ELDM 3000-3085 fps. Should be able to get these to 3000 or more pretty easy.

I will test them in a 1-7 as soon as I get my order. I really hope I can push them at 2700 in my 26 inch 223.

It will depend on your jam length.

I loaded a hundred 88 ELDMs for my 223 last night seated to 2.590 OAL with 25 grains of 8208XBR and BR4 primers. That runs right around 2900 FPS, might be 2890ish in the cold and 2910ish once it warms up. It's on the hot side, but nothing that concerns me. Primers still fit after 4 firings. I believe its a 26 inch barrel as well.

So even with a shorter seating depth, 2700 FPS should be a breeze for you.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a box of these A Tips, but I know where to get them.... 2 hour drive.

Last edited:
That looks like a good price.

I picked up a box of these 90 grain A-Tips yesterday. I'll load some this week an hopefully give them a try next weekend.

Here in Canada, it cost me $120 per box!

So - I ran my first 100 rounds the other day and did a load dev. Absolutely hammered at 2940 with 26.2gns of Varget. A bit “crunchy”, but shot great with no pressure signs. (Although, I m going to be cautious as the weather warms up). I think this is going to be a fav.

Not sure what czim is using, but I use accurate mags. The reason I use them is the plastic insert is two halves that can be separated.

I filled the space at the back between the ribs with JB Weld then milled away the entire back rib and part of the front wall.

My mags can currently run 2.640 OAL, but more can still be milled away if I want. 2.78 would be tough though as it would probably wipe out the pegs that keeps the two sides aligned.

Reactions: ImperfectLiberty
Currently I am using mdt polymer mags and was thinking about trying the 90gr atips. I cannot load that long with mine and was interested in which mags allow for that length. Thank you.