• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady .224 HPBT

Southwind

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
Wellington, KS
I bought 400 horn. 75gr hpbt seconds from powder valley. I weighed all of them and came out with 53 that are the 68gr hpbt. I measured the overall length and they are almost the same size as the 75gr bullets. Oal was .985 while the average of the 75's were .990".

Does this sound right? I figured the 68's would be noticeably shorter than the 75's.

Only other thing I have to compare to is the 69gr smk which is quite a bit shorter than either of these hornady's.

Thx, Steve

They probably have bubbles in the cores if the profiles are otherwise exact, I can't see .005 giving up 7gr.

Maybe some 68s got mixed up with the 75's in the packing frenzy.

Thx for the info. So because of the length, do I just use my load data for the 75gr or can I use my data for the 69gr smk and seat it as long as I seat the 75gr?

There is no data for the 68gr bullet on the imr/Hodgon site.

Well, I was sort of right...

Thanks for the picture!

I would load for the 69, lacking any other data. (usual disclaimers in place here).