• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady .308 125gr FMJ in AR

hesp

Hesp
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2020
W. Montana
I just became aware that Hornady makes a .308 125gr FMJ bullet. I would like to try this in my 308 AR. Was wondering if any one has tried this bulletin an AR, & how it worked out. Not asking for actual weight, but what particular powder worked well with this bullet?

Sounds fun, get out your loading manual try the Sierra manual they have a good suggestion for accuracy and hunting load.

FWIW.. those are made for a 300BK, or such.

However, if your neck tension is GTG and OAL is GTG ( Might not be able to crimp into the cannelure ), I would suspect they would be fine.
From the MidwayUSA reviews...

IMGScreenshot 2024-04-21 at 07-54-46 Hornady Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 125 Grain Full Meta...png

From Ultimate Reloader.. and I would consider using 125gr load data unless you have a manual that shows your specific bullet.
https://ultimatereloader.com/2021/10/07/what-fast-308-winchester-loads/

Last edited:
I'm looking for a safe load with these 130gr bullets in my 308 AR. The 7.62x39 has been very successful in it's application using a 124 to 125 gr bullet. Looking for a powder that will function my AR with this bullet, within the safe parameters of function without damage to my AR. Staying under 50,000 psi. If I was using a bolt action, there are many powders that would work. In the AR , a bit more caution is needed. Not looking for the absolute highest velocity . Mainly looking for functional reliability. I guess I could start with H-4895, or Varget in their use with the 147/150 gr FMJ. I was hoping someone had a successful AR load with this weight bullet. Seems this is new territory for a 308 AR application.

No not at all new territory. I tried Sierra 125 mk years ago in my ar.

I have a bunch of the 125 fmj, they shoot good in my 300 Blackout....never tried them in 308, where I usually use the 130 Speer Varmint, which has excellent accuracy in most any 308, Auto or bolt, any twist from 12 to 8, it's the most versatile, accurate, cheap bullet around for 308 Win.

I just became aware that Hornady makes a .308 125gr FMJ bullet. I would like to try this in my 308 AR. Was wondering if any one has tried this bulletin an AR, & how it worked out. Not asking for actual weight, but what particular powder worked well with this bullet?
I've shot them in a 16" 308 AR. Along with Sierra 125gr soft points, Barnes 120gr TAC TX, Barnes 130gr TTSX, and Nosler 125gr BTs. They all run between 2800 and 2900 with Ramshot TAC. I shoot some low grade 125gr FMJ blems I got from American Reloading in AR matches. My rifle shoots those sub moa.

I've shot them in a 16" 308 AR. Along with Sierra 125gr soft points, Barnes 120gr TAC TX, Barnes 130gr TTSX, and Nosler 125gr BTs. They all run between 2800 and 2900 with Ramshot TAC. I shoot some low grade 125gr FMJ blems I got from American Reloading in AR matches. My rifle shoots those sub moa.
What kind of barrel?

Rainier Ultra Match. I bought it because I wanted a rifle length gas and it was available

What twist rate? I have one of Rainier's 12.5" UM barrels from years ago and it's never been spectacular in the accuracy department with 155gr TMKs, 175gr SMKs, or 185gr Bergers. I've been kicking around the idea of seeing what some lighter bullets would do in it.

What twist rate? I have one of Rainier's 12.5" UM barrels from years ago and it's never been spectacular in the accuracy department with 155gr TMKs, 175gr SMKs, or 185gr Bergers. I've been kicking around the idea of seeing what some lighter bullets would do in it.
I think it's a 1:10". I'm also at 7000ft asl

Reactions: towerofpower93